What's new

Any Other Woodworkers on BOTL?

Rating - 100%
157   0   0
You should post. No project is too big or too small!
Ok - here's what I got so far. I needed a bench for my garage to smoke cigars that I received from Brothers here.

I had an old heavy desk that was I was using as a table for storage. I took it apart saving the top for my future bench
20180415_161943.jpg

I bought some 4x4 posts and used 2x6 for the the rest and tied it all together using GRK fastener screws.
Resized_20180520_172221.jpeg

I bought a stool and stood up a computer monitor to watch Netflix or just browse the web in the basement/garage
20180605_181155.jpg
I then moved my spare TV down and stood that up so I can now stream Prime/Netflix off the TV
20180714_181438.jpg
I do have a bracket to mount the TV on the wall - not sure I'm going to do that or just build a ledge for it to sit on.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My next project is building myself a Nicholson style woodworking bench.
A split top Roubo bench has been on my To Do list for a long time but it seems that whenever I come close to having the funds set aside for the wood, something comes up, don't ya know. I do have the Benchcrafted plans and hardware kit on hand however and I've 'built' a slightly downsized version in SketchUp to fit my space.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
A split top Roubo bench has been on my To Do list for a long time but it seems that whenever I come close to having the funds set aside for the wood, something comes up, don't ya know. I do have the Benchcrafted plans and hardware kit on hand however and I've 'built' a slightly downsized version in SketchUp to fit my space.
The Roubo is a fantastic bench, and I'm sure one day I will build one. But after having researched woodworking benches, I'm really sold on the Nicholson. I have a relatively small work area in my basement, which a Roubo would prob be overkill in, whereas a Nicholson will suit my needs perfectly. And, I can build it using common lumber found at the local home center for about $150. The Naked Woodworker video on The Lost Art Press website helped convince me as did this video: (although honestly, I will prob install a leg vise).

A couple of other links about Nicholson benches, in case anyone is interested:
https://blog.lostartpress.com/2014/05/24/the-nicholson-bench-for-starters-also-beginners-newbies-and-novices/
https://www.popularwoodworking.com/workbenches/schwarz-workbenches/a-new-lesson-from-an-old-workbench

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Some beautiful work in that old office building, to be sure.

After getting some house chores done this morning, I spent some time in the shop getting a little more work done on my dust collector mod. I glued up the caster base, cut the side panels, clamped them together, and smoothed the curves. Beer time.

Last edited:

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Looks nice! That oak flooring turn out to make a good looking countertop.

I spent a fair bit of time in the shop this weekend. Saturday, I set my layout lines for the remaining plywood pieces and made the straight cuts at the table saw. Sunday, I did all the bandsaw work on the curved lines. I gave those an initial smoothing and rounded over all the edges I could. I also did some more work on the caster base, including trying out a new corner radius jig at the router table.

Next, I’ll fill and sand the edges, prefinish what I can, and work on assembly.

Last edited:

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Next, I’ll fill and sand the edges, prefinish what I can, and work on assembly.
Progress has been slow thanks to various distractions but I now have the base painted and the chassis mostly assembled.

I painted the base with Krylon “hammered” spray paint in black to give it a textured, industrial look. The chassis will get the same paint but in a bronze color. I haven’t yet decided if I’m going to paint the dust collector body or leave it the current cream color.

The chassis is glued and pocket-screwed. Once the paint on the base has cured completely, I’ll set the chassis and dust separator in place to dial in where to mount the cone support. A complication with that is that cones are round in cross section, right? Not this one. It’s oval...ish. I may gently take the heat gun to it and try to coax it into shape but worse come to worse, I’ll line the cone support with thick foam tape.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ya I work with wood, or at least try to get my guys not to flock $hit up. These pics are from m a couple storms this summer! Damn the wind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk