To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
- Sep 23, 2018
- West Lafayete, IN
Gorgeous workMore progress with Kroger’s urn this weekend. I squared up one end of the box body, set it on the saw table, and placed his ashes in it to determined the height I needed for a comfortable fit. The top and bottom take a little of the volume, so after adding for those, I trimmed it to final size.
Next, I laminated three pieces of 1/4-inch model makers plywood along with a piece of curly maple for the top panel. Once dry, I trimmed it to rough size, trimmed the excess thickness from the maple, glued on a couple of shepherd pieces, and planed it to finished thickness, resulting in a 1/16-inch thick maple veneer. I then cut it to final size to fit the inside of the box.
I set up a 1/4-inch dado stack, partially buried in a sacrificial fence, and milled a 3/16-inch tongue centered along one edge of the morado top trim pieces. Then using a flat top rip blade, I cut a slot in the top panel to fit that tongue. And that’s where I left off today.