What's new

Any Other Woodworkers on BOTL?

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It’s just about time to embark on my next project. We have the ashes of three cats who’ve left us over the years, interred in the tins provided by the vet/cremation service. The Wife and I have discussed me making some nicer looking urn boxes and over the last few days, we’ve pretty much finalized the design:

The primary wood will be some of the lovely curly maple I picked up a while back without having a particular project in mind. It won’t take much of it. Each box will have contrasting trim of a different species: padauk, purple heart, and morado (pau ferro). The ashes will be placed through the underside of the box and the bottom will be screwed in place.

The Wife likes things very simple but I can’t help sneaking in some detail. I plan to create v-chamfers in the joints where the trim meets the box and the outside edges will be rounded over. The cat’s paw graphic and each cat’s name will be ink jet printed on transparent water slide decal paper, applied under the final coats of finish.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Thought I'd catch you guys up on my built-in project for my living room. I'm building some cabinets and bookshelves to put along one of the walls. I have made some headway, but slowly. Time is at a premium, but I'm taking my time and doing it right. I have the cabinet carcasses assembled. They are build from birch veneer 3/4 plywood. I have started gluing up the drawers tonight. Next up, I'll spray them with lacquer and start working on the fronts.

I don't have an out feed table for my table saw, so I rely on the skill saw to make large cuts, especially on short edges with a long overhang. It took me a long time to accept the skill saw can be used to make precision cuts with a decent fence.
IMG_20180421_122909236.jpg

Built a sled for my table saw. Should have done this years ago. This came in handy for cutting the cabinet drawer pieces and will also be handy for working on the fronts.
IMG_20180519_134905089.jpg

I decided to use a mitre locking bit to build these drawers. I have a dovetail jig...not interesting in using that unless I really want to show off or want to make a "period piece". Bought the router table for this project. Again, why didn't I buy one of these years ago? I used poplar and it seems to have worked well.
IMG_20180520_133412478.jpg

Here's one of the drawers dry fitted before I cut the dados for the bottom. Not too bad for the first time with the mitre locking bit. Using one of the carcasses as a work bench.
IMG_20180520_143319158.jpg

Here's one of the carcasses. I built three of them and they are identical. 4'-3" wide, each divided in half.
IMG_20180520_153855075.jpg

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Quick update on the deck build out.

Today I was able to get the railing all the way around completed. Now I need to add stairs on the far end and then stain the whole thing.

If the weather cooperates (lolz) then I hope to be completely done over the next 2 weekends.
Great job!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Nice work to everyone sharing your projects. Ya'll are a talented bunch of dudes! Def inspiring to see.

I myself am looking to use more and more hand tools, and it got me thinking. Do any of you have any decent hand tools that you're not using that you might be interested in selling or perhaps trading with me for some cigars? I know this is a longshot, and if this idea is frowned upon, please just let me know and I will delete this posting. It's just a thought. I am frugal (cheap) and thought it might be worth asking. I'm looking for all the standard stuff- saws, planes, good working bench vise, etc.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
My father shared this amazing piece of American craftsmanship with me tonight- a Stanley Universal Plane, no. 55. Complete. In pristine condition.
“The Stanley No. 55 is unique among planes. Produced from 1899 until as late as 1962, this majestic contraption was touted as "a planing mill within itself," capable of cutting any molding profile imaginable.”
Swiss Army Knife of Handplanes.
My mouth nearly dropped to the floor. It’s just sitting on my workbench right now waiting to turn regular old wood into ornate molding. So cool.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My father shared this amazing piece of American craftsmanship with me tonight- a Stanley Universal Plane, no. 55. Complete. In pristine condition.
The pics were broken for me but I know the plane of which you speak. That, my friend, is quite the score. By “complete” do you mean that it came with a full set of irons? Roy Underhill did an episode of The Woodwright’s Shop on both the #45 and the #55. Beautiful tools.

I’ve begun the finishing phase of the pet urn box:

I’ve sprayed on 4 coats of clear shellac, sanding the first three back to fill the grain. The 4th got a good buffing with a fine Scotch Brite pad. Next I need to finalize the water slide decal and apply it. Then it’ll get a couple more coats of shellac, followed by lacquer.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
@PetersCreek - that is a gorgeous box you've made! Sorry for the loss of your pet.

And yes - my dad's (well, he just gave it to me, so I guess it's mine) No. 55 has all of the irons and other accessories. Even has the original Stanley catalog that came with the tool. I will def check out the Roy Underhill episode! That's for letting me know about that.

Christopher Schwarz in his classic "The Anarchist's Tool Chest" states that of the five must-have planes needed to build fine furniture, the Stanley No. 45 is his choice for plow plane. From what I can find, the No. 55 is supposed to be the next iteration. I've just gotten started using hand tools, and I have a feeling this one is going to take me a long while to figure out how to use half-way decently.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@PetersCreek - that is a gorgeous box you've made! Sorry for the loss of your pet.
Thanks...on both counts. But this particular box is for the dog of my wife's friend. I was already in the process of designing urns for three of our cats who departed over the years, when she got the call from her friend. Since we're going to Homer this month where her friend lives, The Wife asked if I'd make one for her first.

And yes - my dad's (well, he just gave it to me, so I guess it's mine) No. 55 has all of the irons and other accessories. Even has the original Stanley catalog that came with the tool. I will def check out the Roy Underhill episode! That's for letting me know about that.
Sweet. That really is quite the score. I've seen complete sets go for $400 to $1000, depending on condition...not that I would sell one handed down to me.

Christopher Schwarz in his classic "The Anarchist's Tool Chest" states that of the five must-have planes needed to build fine furniture, the Stanley No. 45 is his choice for plow plane.
While I admire vintage iron greatly, I have my sights set on the Veritas Combination Plane...one day.

Last edited:

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Some great posts on here! @el_mustango Thanks for sharing the No 55 plane story and images.
I want to pick your brains. My cabinet and bookshelf project is moving right along. I am just about done lacquering the cabinets and will soon start on the fronts and the table top for the cabinets.

Situation: I need to build 13' of oak counter top for the cabinets. I had planned to use oak veneer plywood with some sort of edging and try to hide/minimize the seem as much as possible. However, eliminating the seem entirely might be a fun challenge.
Question: Any thoughts on how to assemble such a beast without a visible seem? I thought to do the veneer myself, but I cannot find a roll of red oak that is 13' long. I also thought to build this out of wood planks...sort of like a butcher block, might be too costly.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Situation: I need to build 13' of oak counter top for the cabinets. I had planned to use oak veneer plywood with some sort of edging and try to hide/minimize the seem as much as possible. However, eliminating the seem entirely might be a fun challenge.
Question: Any thoughts on how to assemble such a beast without a visible seem? I thought to do the veneer myself, but I cannot find a roll of red oak that is 13' long. I also thought to build this out of wood planks...sort of like a butcher block, might be too costly.
@jasonsbeer

Yeah, the longest veneer sheets I've seen offered are 12 feet. If you go the veneer route, some/several vendors offer sheets that have grain-matched ends, which would go a long way toward minimizing the seam. I think you'd get a better seam that way rather than trying to butt two sheets of veneer plywood.

With a butcher block top, you're not really limited on length. With clean, square cuts, you can butt lamination pieces together, making sure the joints are well staggered from their neighbors. But that's a big ass glue up that you'll have to smooth and thickness somehow. A router sled is usually the most doable in home shops but that's a LOT of routing.

Have you thought about making the joint more visible? I don't know if it would work with your design aesthetic but you could break the counter top into slightly stepped sections. I think it would create some visual interest and simplify the build.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
what @PetersCreek said. I have never seen sheets of veneer beyond 12 feet. You could do the butcher block in sections, run each section thru your thickness planer so they are all the same thickness, and then take those pieces and glue them together (using clamping cauls). Then hand plane the completed counter (which would hopefully be minimal). That being said, it may be cheaper to buy a butcher block counter top when you factor in your costs and time.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
@PetersCreek - I’m watching the Roy Underhill episode about the Stanley No. 55 and I love his description of the 55 compared to the wooden planes:

“The wooden planes are like lightsabers and the iron combination planes are like stormtrooper blasters. The wooden planes are An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.”

That being said, the No. 55 seems flipping awesome! I’m going to get a bunch of scrap wood and really learn how to use this thing!