What's new

Any Other Woodworkers on BOTL?

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
More progress with Kroger’s urn this weekend. I squared up one end of the box body, set it on the saw table, and placed his ashes in it to determined the height I needed for a comfortable fit. The top and bottom take a little of the volume, so after adding for those, I trimmed it to final size.

Next, I laminated three pieces of 1/4-inch model makers plywood along with a piece of curly maple for the top panel. Once dry, I trimmed it to rough size, trimmed the excess thickness from the maple, glued on a couple of shepherd pieces, and planed it to finished thickness, resulting in a 1/16-inch thick maple veneer. I then cut it to final size to fit the inside of the box.

I set up a 1/4-inch dado stack, partially buried in a sacrificial fence, and milled a 3/16-inch tongue centered along one edge of the morado top trim pieces. Then using a flat top rip blade, I cut a slot in the top panel to fit that tongue. And that’s where I left off today.

Gorgeous work

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Looking at getting at planer...the two that I am thinking about are the Ridgid 4331 or the Dewalt 734. Any experience with either or advice would be greatly appreciated.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have the DW735X and I recommend it if the budget allows. Three knives vs two; auto carriage lock; two speeds vs one; built in chip ejector; and a slightly larger capacity: 1/2” w and 1” h.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Looking at the 735x and the 4331, it seems that they are pretty similar with the exception of the price.

Both have 3 blades
Both have 13” w
Both have 6” h
Both have the carriage lock
Dewalt has two speeds and Ridgid only has one. That is the only difference that I can find

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sorry, I was comparing the 735 to the 734. I don't have any direct experience with the R4331 but it looks like a pretty good planer for the price. One concern I would have is whether the 2½" dust collection fitting is adequate or not but I don't recall reading many complaints about it. I think the 735 has the edge there with a fan-assisted 4" connection. But that doesn't mean that the Ridgid is a bad planer.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I watched a video on YouTube by DIYcreators about how he made a cyclonic dust collection from a 5gal bucket and some pvc attached to a shop vac. Going to be setting that up in the next couple of days. Hopefully that will help

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think I posted upthread about my shop vac cyclone mod. Not completely DIY, though. I broke down and bought the Dust Deputy and it helped immensely. It’s been in use for weeks/months and while the pleated filter in the vac bin has some fines on it, only one plane shaving made it through the cyclone somehow.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Anyone have any hand tools they'd want to trade for cigars? I'm looking for a good mitre box and saw, rabbet and/or shoulder plane, 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" paring chisel, and a set of gunsmith screwdrivers.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If I had any spares of those items, we’d talk. As for gunsmithing screw sticks, the Grace line are reasonably priced new and they have a set of woodworking drivers, too. I also have a set of Brownell’s MagTips for when I need an exact fit.
I've been looking at the Grace woodworking set, but I have a hard time spending $70 on screwdrivers. I feel like if I did that and my father found out, he'd smack me in the back of the head and say something like: "$70 on some GD screwdrivers?!?"

But yeah, those are what I want. I'm hoping someone has a set they'd be willing to part with for say $100 or $125 worth of cigars (since I have more cigars than I can ever smoke in my lifetime).

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The ashtray is looking good. How’d you wind up doing it?

Busy day in the shop for me. Before starting on the top of the urn, I needed to make a small miter sled. Nothing fancy, since I’m not set on the design.

With that done, I mitered the top panel trim pieces, sneaking up on the length little by little. Here it is after glue up and an initial smoothing.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I made a lot of visual progress on Kroger’s urn box this weekend. I cut and assembled the box bottom yesterday and shaped it and the top on the router table today: chamfered corners and edges where they meet the box body, and a bevel on the top’s upper edges. I chamfered the box corner edges as well, then scraped and sanded all pieces separately. To call it a day, I glued the top in place and after cleaning shop, I took care of the squeeze out.

After I drill and countersink screw holes in the bottom, it’ll be time for finishing.