What's new

Any Other Woodworkers on BOTL?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a packet of carbon paper and some of those plastic eggs. I'll have to try this on some scrap pine to get the feel.
I don't have any scrap hardwood. I'm sure it will respond much differently that soft pine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
WOW! I wish we lived close to each other. Would love to sit in your shop in learn hand tools. I've got a couple that I'm practicing with to get better (chisels and a few planes) but I'm nowhere near ready to build anything using them. haha! One of the upsides to hand tools that I've found, I can hear the music playing MUCH better! :)
Biggest difference maker for me getting into it was buying quality vintage tools and learning how to sharpen. Sharp tools are easy to use, and safer since you aren't fighting them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Great thread. I've posted some of my stuff in the spring projects thread but I like have a thread specific to woodworking. I've plugged at woodworking off and on for 40 years...more off than on...since I took a shop class in high school. Along with doing a lot of DIY on the house, the bug bit me again pretty hard a few year ago.

I'm a hybrid woodworker. I like my power tools but I love working with my hand planes. I regularly cruise the Woodcraft site and visit whenever I'm in Seattle. I'm also a bit of a Lee Valley junkie but only when they have a free shipping deal.

This is my most recent piece, a keepsake box for my sister's wedding, in curly maple and padauk:

I really like rowdy's end table upthread. My last table was a simpler design and involved my first attempt at a bent lamination:

My last bout with Tool Acquisition Disorder resulted in a new router table to replace the old bench top model:

As if the blue color didn't give it away, it's a Kreg table with a cabinet insert loosely based on Kreg's plan. I upgraded the Kreg insert with a JessEm Mast-R-Lift II to hold the Porter Cable 75182 motor. I also tricked it out with a magnetic latching power switch and a digital hour meter.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This is my most recent piece, a keepsake box for my sister's wedding, in curly maple and padauk:

Very nice. Reminds me of the first time I used padauk to make a side table for my sister for Christmas one year. My first attempt at inlay with holly and spayed legs. Back in my power tool days. Sanding the padauk kind of colored the white holly a bit, but it still turned out nice. Don't have a finished picture, but it was/is nice.
IMG_20101212_110511 (Medium).jpg IMG_20101212_110529 (Medium).jpg

And yeah, I've got a little hand plane thing going on too. And don't even get me started on saws.
IMG_20111114_185758 (Medium).jpg IMAG0102 (Medium).jpg

This was my favorite workshop, back before I was married and could work inside the house. Now I'm out in the garage in the Florida heat and humidity.
IMAG0197 (Medium).jpg

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Holy geez! Incredible work, @PetersCreek! That keepsake box is beautiful - I've always loved the combination of Curly Maple with Padauk! And I'm a sucker for splines.

Random: I couldn't help but notice your shop door is wood. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Did you make it yourself?

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Very nice. Reminds me of the first time I used padauk to make a side table for my sister for Christmas one year. My first attempt at inlay with holly and spayed legs. Back in my power tool days. Sanding the padauk kind of colored the white holly a bit, but it still turned out nice. Don't have a finished picture, but it was/is nice.
View attachment 98370 View attachment 98371

And yeah, I've got a little hand plane thing going on too. And don't even get me started on saws.
View attachment 98375 View attachment 98374

This was my favorite workshop, back before I was married and could work inside the house. Now I'm out in the garage in the Florida heat and humidity.
View attachment 98376
:woot: I'm completely speechless!

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Biggest difference maker for me getting into it was buying quality vintage tools and learning how to sharpen. Sharp tools are easy to use, and safer since you aren't fighting them.
What do you use to sharpen your chisels? Do you use whet stones or diamond?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What do you use to sharpen your chisels? Do you use whet stones or diamond?
I've got just about every sharpening system out there, but what I use most often is a set of waterstones that I think I got from japanwoodworker.com. I have 1000, 5000, 8000, and 12,000 grit stones. They work fast, but need to be flattened with every use, which only takes a few seconds. I use a coarse dia-sharp diamond plate to flatten those, and also to remove large amounts of metal if needed. The biggest thing with sharpening plane blades or chisels for me was using a honing guide, like the ones available from lee valley or lie-nielsen. Made life much easier.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I've got just about every sharpening system out there, but what I use most often is a set of waterstones that I think I got from japanwoodworker.com. I have 1000, 5000, 8000, and 12,000 grit stones. They work fast, but need to be flattened with every use, which only takes a few seconds. I use a coarse dia-sharp diamond plate to flatten those, and also to remove large amounts of metal if needed. The biggest thing with sharpening plane blades or chisels for me was using a honing guide, like the ones available from lee valley or lie-nielsen. Made life much easier.
Do you take each chisel all the way through 1,000 to 12,000 each time or do you have a method for that?

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Wow, awesome craftsmanship guys! Definitely beyond my level.. but one day! I'm just starting to gravitate towards the finer work like that... So I've got lots of practicing to do! Lol

As far as hand planes, is there a decent, current production? I know everyone loves the old stuff, but that's hard to find around my area...

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
View attachment 98370 View attachment 98371
That is quite nice. I especially like how you switched up colors on the tenon pegs. Nice touch. I haven't tackled splayed legs yet but I've had a couple of project ideas floating around in the back of my mind that might prompt me to try them.

You've got quite the plane till there. I don't have any vintage tools in my collection. If I find one locally worthy of it, I might buy one for display but I'm not all that interested in fettling one for use. I do admire them, though.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Holy geez! Incredible work, @PetersCreek! That keepsake box is beautiful - I've always loved the combination of Curly Maple with Padauk! And I'm a sucker for splines.
Thanks! It was my first time working with padauk. My wife got a kick out of my cheeto fingers. It was also my first attempt at splined miters. I knocked together a quick and dirty jig to cut the slots so I need to make a proper one now.

Random: I couldn't help but notice your shop door is wood. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Did you make it yourself?
It's funny how many times I've posted project pics and people compliment or ask about the garage door! I can't take credit for building it. It's original to the house, built in '84. It's a little tired now and needs to be replaced because some of the panels are gapping. The replacement will be more energy efficient (Alaska, after all) but I'll be sorry to see the old woody go.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's been a while since I posted these in the spring projects thread so I'll repost here for the benefit of those who didn't visit that thread. This was my first real commission and my most ambitious project to date. A coworker's husband had some ducks mounted but the wood base was pretty sad, to the point of not being worthy of refinishing. So I came up with the idea of recessing the base in a display table and since they're wine drinkers, making it a wine rack.

Walnut and walnut ply, finished with BLO and Waterlox:

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Do you take each chisel all the way through 1,000 to 12,000 each time or do you have a method for that?
Generally just a touch up on the 8k and/or 12k is all that's needed. The idea being to get things sharp and keep them there. Generally, all new tools will need the full treatment to get them ready to work. Kinda like throwing new cigars in the home humidor for a while to acclimate before they're ready to smoke. The 1k and 5k get the most frequent use keeping my kitchen knives sharp.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
As far as hand planes, is there a decent, current production? I know everyone loves the old stuff, but that's hard to find around my area...
Check out Lie-Nielsen and Lee Valley for good stuff. Made in USA and Canada, respectively. Top quality stuff. You don't need one of everything. A no. 3, 5, and 7, or a no. 4, 6, and 8, depending on the scale of your work would be enough for most anyone. Of course, as much as there is Cigar Acquisition Syndrome, there is TAS.

I've bought vintage stuff from Patrick Leach off his email list (http://supertool.com/oldtools.htm) for many years. Honest as the day is long. Old tools aren't very common around here either. Must be a southern thing. Fleabay is way overpriced by the way.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It's been a while since I posted these in the spring projects thread so I'll repost here for the benefit of those who didn't visit that thread. This was my first real commission and my most ambitious project to date. A coworker's husband had some ducks mounted but the wood base was pretty sad, to the point of not being worthy of refinishing. So I came up with the idea of recessing the base in a display table and since they're wine drinkers, making it a wine rack.

Walnut and walnut ply, finished with BLO and Waterlox:

Really well done! Anyone would be happy to have that in their home.

Except maybe a PETA alcoholic I guess, but who cares what they think.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Peterscreek
Great work, I'm envious!

Rowdy, Can't beat natural light for working with wood, maybe one day I'll have the shop of my dreams

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Rowdy has the right of it. I recommend Lie-Nielsen by reputation and Lee Valley Veritas planes from experience. I have the #4 smoother, low angle jack, shooting plane, medium and large shoulder planes, and the router plane.

Don't be quick to overlook the Woodriver planes from Woodcraft. They're not on par with LN or LV planes but they're decent quality for the money. I have the #6...from a sale I couldn't pass up...and it's a go-to plane. Look for Rob Cosman on YouTube. He's become a spokesperson of sorts for them but he presents a lot of good information about them. If there's a Woodcraft store in your area, you can even try them out.

My first hand plane was a gift from my wife, the Stanley Sweetheart low angle block plane. The Sweetheart line is head and shoulders above their other modern planes. I can't personally speak about their #4 and others but I've used the hell out the LA block and it was about $90 IIRC.

I have a tip for buying a #4 smoother: buy an extra blade at the same time or soon thereafter if you intend to plane highly figured woods. Honing a "back bevel" on the underside of the blade increases the blade's effective angle, which can reduce tear out in tricky grain.