What's new

Any Other Woodworkers on BOTL?

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Here is a list (in no particular order) of some of the brilliant woodworkers I follow on YouTube. Some are handtools only, some machine, and some hybrid but I thoroughly enjoy their videos and have learned a lot!

Rob Cosman
Paul Sellers
Matthias Wandel
Frank Howarth
David Picciuto (Make Something)
Jay Bates (Jay's Custom Creations)
Steve Ramsey (Woodworking for Mere Mortals)
Mark Spagnola (The Wood Whisperer)
Matthew Cremona
April Wilkerson
Bob Clagett (I Like to Make Stuff)
Jimmy Diresta
The Samurai Carpenter
John Peters
Chris Salomone (Foureyes)
Third Coast Craftsman
James Wright (Wood by Wright)

There are quite a few more, too. I'm leaving off some really good ones but if you are new to YouTube and how to (freely) subscribe to channels, this will get you started!

Last edited:

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Did this table and benches 2 years ago. Bases are just 4x4 for from HD. Bookmatch black walnut for the benches. Circle saw fir for the top. The table top was a spur of the moment and it's gonna be replaced with walnut this winter. Should have just ponied up for the walnut in the first place.
20170715_142250.jpg

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Anyone ever tried to build a humidor? I just watched this video that happened to pop up on my YouTube feed and it's got me thinking...
I've built a few dining room tables, shelves, etc but never something as complex as a humidor however it's on my bucket list. I need to finish a number of other projects first.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I scored a couple of nice boards from my wood monger the other day...some curly maple:

These pics are from the second board. The curl borders on being flame-like and there's an interesting bark/twig inclusion with a void in it along with a hint of crotch figure. I may use it as my first attempt at a crushed stone inlay. I don't have a project(s) planned for it yet but the gears are turning.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'm loving this thread!

My father is one of those guys who's really good at making things. He was a mechanic for years (had a 69 Hemi Charger until my mom accidentally set it on fire). At some point he joined my grandfather and uncle in the family plumbing business and became a licensed master plumber. He's a heck of a woodworker and carpenter, too. When I was kid, he and I would spend hours in his shop making things. He taught me a lot of the basics including how to whittle/carve. I was never very good at it and turned my back on it before I got any good, in favor of playing drums, writing music, being in a band, and skateboarding.

I recently decided I really wanted to start making stuff again (beyond music). So, with his help, I've started digging out and cleaning up a lot of his old tools. Working my way through the beginner projects - cutting boards (which I'm hoping to give as xmas presents this year), a couple of featherboards for the table saw, a few wooden mallets, etc. I'm having a ton of fun!

I'm psyched that this thread is here, so I can gain valuable insight and inspiration from all of you.

Does anyone have any forums they would recommend that are as awesome as BOTL but for woodworking?

Last edited:

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Great story, @el_mustango! Post some pics of what you've made!

Does anyone have any forums they would recommend that are as awesome as BOTL but for woodworking?
Great question - I haven't even looked at forums on woodworking yet. I've been watching YouTube videos and chatting with the maker in the comments section. Will be interested in seeing if there are any forums out there.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
These are gorgeous! I'll post photos of the cutting boards I'm building as soon as I have them finished (I stupidly forget to take photos while I was making them).

Question - are the longer outer pieces intentionally longer to help avoid snipe when you pass it through the planer!

I got everything done today that I planned and slathered a generous slather of mineral oil on the board.

I've been periodically rubbing in more oil as it soaks in. Later, I'll wipe it off and after a couple of days, I'll rub in the cutting board conditioner.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm a member of a few forums. The two most popular are LumberJocks and Sawmill Creek. Sawmill Creek is a pretty standard forum set up and they have an active community with a lot of experienced woodworkers. LumberJocks is a very robust site with more than just a forum. It includes member blogs, project galleries, reviews, and LJTV, a member video gallery. If you're also interested in home remodeling/improvement, they have a sibling site, HomeRefurbers.
Question - are the longer outer pieces intentionally longer to help avoid snipe when you pass it through the planer!
Yep, the idea was to eliminate snipe but in this case, you've happened upon one of my bonehead moments. I went into the project intending to use this anti-snipe technique but I also wanted to make the cutting board as wide as I could. So, I milled everything to give me a width just under 13 inches...the maximum my planer will take...but not counting the runners. Oops. Wasted effort there but at least it had no real consequences in quality. I cut them off and dealt with snipe by feeding sacrificial scraps before and after the work piece.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
@PetersCreek -- thanks for the info. When doing some research on tools and projects, google has sent me to both LumberJocks and Sawmill Creek. I guess I'll join one or both and have a go at it.

I'm going to try the longer outer pieces on the next board I make to try and avoid snipe. Seems like an easy solution.