What's new

Any Other Woodworkers on BOTL?

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Yeah, the stem is the reason I have never attempted it. haha
I found that doing it in two pieces is the way to go.. then glue them back, and carve the final shape out.. straight isn't bad, but I'd like to do a curved.. the two I made were poker style, I'd love to be able to make stuff like a church warden.. but that stem! I tried to just make a long stem, for practice, but I just can't keep from digging too deep, and breaking through.. maybe next time I'll rough out the profile before gouging the channel..

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You can probably find something like that at one of the home improvement stores. That's pretty straight forward, what questions do you have?

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0

I want something like this, 2x8ish
That's pretty straight forward.. if you've got some tools, and time. Check out YouTube, there are some really great (and really awful) instructionals that can really help you fully understand, and just about build before ever getting started.. I watch them all the time just to see everyone's diff techniques.. #alwayslearning

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
I dont known if stogie fisher is just leaving himself out of this thread on purpose or he just hasnt seen it yet @StogieFisher. Cut sides and ends to specification buy metal legs at home depo stain wood if you want screw it all together hit the screw holes with stain you are done fill with dirt and plant

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
@bwhite220 @mjones9630

Would there be any potential issue with using cedar fence planks to build the walls of the box? Seeing as it's drastically cheaper than trying to buy cedar 1x6s.
Not at all. In fact, that's probably how I'll build mine. I would recommend using Pine to build the structure/frame of the box and the bottom though. That way the box has more integrity and the bottom won't fall through from the weight of the dirt. Then, you can easily attach the cedar fence to the outside.

StogieFisher

Trolling troll is trolling.
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
@bwhite220 @mjones9630

Would there be any potential issue with using cedar fence planks to build the walls of the box? Seeing as it's drastically cheaper than trying to buy cedar 1x6s.
Depends, how deep of a bed are you making? Cedar fence pickets around here are only 1/2" thick so any extra weight from the soil could cause the longer sides to bulge. I have also seen some where the bottom had a 2x4" lip and milk crates or rubbermade containers rested inside to protect the wood from soil contact. Then you could use whatever wood you want.

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Not at all. In fact, that's probably how I'll build mine. I would recommend using Pine to build the structure/frame of the box and the bottom though. That way the box has more integrity and the bottom won't fall through from the weight of the dirt. Then, you can easily attach the cedar fence to the outside.
Staining the legs (outside of the box) and the outside bottom for longevity should also pose no issues, as the soil/vegetation won't have any direct contact with the stain?

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Depends, how deep of a bed are you making? Cedar fence pickets around here are only 1/2" thick so any extra weight from the soil could cause the longer sides to bulge. I have also seen some where the bottom had a 2x4" lip and milk crates or rubbermade containers rested inside to protect the wood from soil contact. Then you could use whatever wood you want.
I was thinking of using some flat L brackets for extra support on the interior. Obviously it would be lined, but don't want to use tupperwares.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Staining the legs (outside of the box) and the outside bottom for longevity should also pose no issues, as the soil/vegetation won't have any direct contact with the stain?
Honestly, I'd have to research that one. Cedar doesn't have to be stained, it will weather and gray over time which is fine. The pine you would want to seal but I'm not sure what you would use for it - does it have to be food grade safe since the soil your plants are in is touching it? Or, if you put a lining across the inside fo the box and then the soil, does that protect it from the sealer? I have no idea on any of this. haha. Maybe the other guys could chime in (@StogieFisher, @Boudie, @mjones9630, @luckyace12).

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Mix fiberglass resin with the proper amount of activator and paint the inside of the planter with it. Used this technique on hull bottoms and crab shedding trays for years. Don't forget the drain holes

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ask Mike? The Avatar is some old guy who had the misfortune of having his mug shot printed in the local paper