What's new

Any Other Woodworkers on BOTL?

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I applied the decal to Kroger’s urn box today. I botched the first try yesterday with an irredeemably wrinkled edge. It was the last of two decals I had made, with the first being a trial on scrap. So I printed several more yesterday and sealed them with a few coats of lacquer.

The first try today also didn’t go as planned. It was centered L-R just fine but it was a bit high. The second went well:

After it dries overnight, I’ll continue finishing: first with more shellac to smooth the decal edges, then a few final coats of satin lacquer.

Last edited:

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
For Christmas this year, I'm building my wife an oak blanket chest among other things. Here's where it sits as of right now.

2B546244-9DA9-48D8-9888-902F868670CD.jpeg C21A6905-8F9C-40EB-9D52-3A6CEA477779.jpeg 110AB7D8-92D4-4AD0-867A-43FDF23B760D.jpeg

Next steps:
  • Glue the top up
  • Run the top through the planer to take it down to 3/4” thick
  • Woodfill the case and sand
  • Prime the case
  • Paint the case
  • Poly the inside and the top
  • Assemble the top to the case

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Need some advice.......My wife is really into art and the girls and I got her some Copic markers. I have an idea of what I am building but where i need the advice is what type of glue to use for PVC to wood. I have Titebond 2 and 3 and I also have some Gorilla Glue. Really not sure what to use. Any advice y’all could give me would be greatly appreciated.

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Need some advice.......My wife is really into art and the girls and I got her some Copic markers. I have an idea of what I am building but where i need the advice is what type of glue to use for PVC to wood. I have Titebond 2 and 3 and I also have some Gorilla Glue. Really not sure what to use. Any advice y’all could give me would be greatly appreciated.
If it's the titebond wood glue you are referencing it wont work, gorilla glue should do the trick though.

@bwhite220 that blanket chest is gorgeous

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Crisp and clean. Nice. Very nice.

Kroger’s urn box is finally complete. I would have finished this weekend but being furloughed allowed me to get to it a little early. To recap, this is curly maple, American black cherry, and Pau Ferro...aka, Morado or Bolivian Rosewood. The graphic is an inkjet-printed water-slide decal. Sealed and leveled with spray shellac. Finish coats were Deft spray satin lacquer.

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Crisp and clean. Nice. Very nice.

Kroger’s urn box is finally complete. I would have finished this weekend but being furloughed allowed me to get to it a little early. To recap, this is curly maple, American black cherry, and Pau Ferro...aka, Morado or Bolivian Rosewood. The graphic is an inkjet-printed water-slide decal. Sealed and leveled with spray shellac. Finish coats were Deft spray satin lacquer.

Gorgeous craftsmenship

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So I'm trying my hand at some woodworking here. Looking to make a work surface to fold laundry and it will fold down when not in use. This is my progress so far:
20181231_014649.jpg 20181231_034540.jpg

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Looks like that’s going to be a nice looking feature, Jim.

My weekend in the shop was productive, exciting, and boneheaded. To start off, I assembled and set up my Incra iBox finger joint jig.

And here’s where my boneheaded moment comes in. I went through the instructions to set up for a test cut and even though I checked clearances several times, I should have checked once more. When I tried to make the first test cut, the blade barely nicked an aluminum support. That’s when the SawStop safety feature kicked in with a flash and a loud thud as the blade instantly retracted below the table. Therapeutic cursing ensued. The badder news is I had a brand new Forrest finger joint blade set in the saw. I’ll have to send it in for repair.

I had a backup brake cartridge, so I could get back to work. With Kroger’s urn box done, I started making more for our three cats who’ve departed over the past few years, plus one for the day our remaining cat shuffles off.

The iBox jig is a treat to use...when it isn’t setting off SawStop brakes. The iBox is adjustable to the blade being used and is tweakable in 0.001” increments.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Looks like that’s going to be a nice looking feature, Jim.
And here’s where my boneheaded moment comes in. I went through the instructions to set up for a test cut and even though I checked clearances several times, I should have checked once more. When I tried to make the first test cut, the blade barely nicked an aluminum support. That’s when the SawStop safety feature kicked in with a flash and a loud thud as the blade instantly retracted below the table. Therapeutic cursing ensued. The badder news is I had a brand new Forrest finger joint blade set in the saw. I’ll have to send it in for repair..
Looks like a great jig. I know how you feel, though. First time I used my dovetail jig I managed to drag the spinning router bit across one of the fingers. One of those "let the tool stop turning first, idiot" moments. Left a huge gouge in it, but still usable. Stupid, stupid.