What's new

Anyone else watching the NHL payoffs?

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Recently I've been enjoying hockey as the ref's are letting the players go at it. Been some great games, but now that the playoffs are here. The intensity has gone up x10.

I'm seeing some harder hits that you see in the NFL. If you enjoy hockey at all? Right now is the time to tune in.

Last nights hit on Hossa was one of the hardest I've seen in any sports.

I'm pulling for the Bruins to win it all BTW:yes:

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Watched the replay this morning, both feet left the ground and the ref was 5 feet away I'm not sure how he missed it. Really dirty hit that came out of nowhere, hopefully he gets suspended for a while.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I have been. I actually find it unfortunate and disturbing that the league and players have allowed this to devolve in to nothing short of UFC/WWE on ice several times. The officiating has been horribly inconsistent from what I have seen too.

What is most disappointing to me is that the ratings (especially stateside) have never been higher. The average Joe couldn't care less about watching a graceful 60mins or more of good tight checking fast paced playoff hockey, but start allowing the players to run amok, cross check each other in the face, slam guys heads in to the glass like a turnbuckle and clearly run at a guy, leave their feet to deliver a blow directly to the head (sorry to break it to you, thats a penalty as per the rulebook)....and the average American male between 18-35 can't get enough of it?

I for one think this has taken hockey back 25-30 years, and although I will still tune in each night (hell look at my avatar), doesn't mean I agree with what's being allowed to happen. Someone is going to get seriously hurt or killed out there...

/rant

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
that wasn't a referee, it was a linesman.
However, the linesman does have the power to report/call a major or match penalty, which in my opinion that clearly should have been.

(sorry, meant to add full disclosure to my last rant - as some of you already know, I am a Ref, albeit at a much lower level of hockey). That probably explains why I have a bit of a different take on what has gone on.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I for one think this has taken hockey back 25-30 years, and although I will still tune in each night (hell look at my avatar), doesn't mean I agree with what's being allowed to happen. Someone is going to get seriously hurt or killed out there...

/rant
I get it now Brent... you cry and don't like the fighting because you like watching women's hockey! :headroll:

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
But I do agree with both Kirk and Brent here... I love that the NHL intensity picks up in the playoffs but that doesn't mean the cheap shots have to increase either. I love physical hockey, but nothing cheap. (but I do like the typical hockey fights! LOL)

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Hey, in all my years of watching guys hockey I ain't never seen a team hit the ice openly pounding beers and smoking fat cuban cigars....maybe I am on to something...lol

TommyGunz

BoM June 2011
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Playoffs have been great. I agree to some extent with the officiating, it will be interesting to see if this "let them play" and "players will decide the game" mentality came from a directive from the NHL or if it was localized to the officials talking prior to each game.

Not sure it set it back 25-30years, B2. However, I do agree this is not a direction that one should want the sport to trend, both for the fans and for the players.

to think, this is only the first round. It will only get more crazy from here on, I just hope teams still have people on the line-up that are not on the IR or suspended from dirty play.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have been. I actually find it unfortunate and disturbing that the league and players have allowed this to devolve in to nothing short of UFC/WWE on ice several times. The officiating has been horribly inconsistent from what I have seen too.

What is most disappointing to me is that the ratings (especially stateside) have never been higher. The average Joe couldn't care less about watching a graceful 60mins or more of good tight checking fast paced playoff hockey, but start allowing the players to run amok, cross check each other in the face, slam guys heads in to the glass like a turnbuckle and clearly run at a guy, leave their feet to deliver a blow directly to the head (sorry to break it to you, thats a penalty as per the rulebook)....and the average American male between 18-35 can't get enough of it?

/rant
Couldn't agree more. The Pittsburgh/Philadelphia series should have been great and Pittsburgh has totally lost it taking cheap shots and seeming to care more about hitting Phily than winning the game. Hopefully it gets better.

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Hey, in all my years of watching guys hockey I ain't never seen a team hit the ice openly pounding beers and smoking fat cuban cigars....maybe I am on to something...lol
Clearly you're watching the wrong beer leagues! lol..

The NHL has no one to blame but themselves here. The officiating is horrid and Shanahan isn't consistently dealing with suspensions like he did in the regular season.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure what happened with the NHL Playoffs this year... Normally I look forward to fast paced no-fight hockey. This year seems like the goons have taken over. I am a huge Blackhawks fan and it was hard to watch Hossa get taken off on a stretcher... looking forward to the rest of the serious though.

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I was hoping someone would create this... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X99DbD0nMM"]The NHL's Department of Player Safety - YouTube[/ame]

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
In slow motion, Torres apparently lifted off the ice an inch or two before the hit... and that's not allowed...... so, after slow motion camera review, he MIGHT get a few game suspension...... but, watching it live, there was a linesman staring right at it and we all saw it happen - heck, even the Hawks fans around me didn't think it was a penalty. Guess we'll see what the league says... but "dirty" being thrown around like he meant to really hurt the guy or tried to do something extremely illegal? Eh... I think not.
I was at the game too. No offense to you, but the Hawks fans sitting in your section must be casual fans who don't undertstand the game. Torres didn't intend to hurt Hossa? Gimmie a break. Not the first time for Torres, and likely not the last.

If the Coyotes move on in the playoffs, I am betting it will be without Torres...I am guessing he will be suspended for the rest of the postseason.
And if the Hawks move on, it will likely be without Hossa...thanks to Raffi's "clean hit".

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I don't think Shanny can give him the rest of the playoffs, as they haven't been strong enough on other plays that in my opinion have been just as bad or worse than that.

I see something in the 5-10 game range unfortunately.