What's new

Are Cuban cigars really the best?

Are Cuban cigars really the best?

• Yes, Cuban cigars are the best.

Votes: 71 22.5%
  • No, Cuban cigars are over-rated.

Votes: 32 10.2%
  • I enjoy both Cuban and non-Cuban cigars.

Votes: 189 60.0%
  • I have never smoked a Cuban.

Votes: 23 7.3%
  • Other, see my post.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
CCs that are staples in my humi (RASS, PSD4, PLPC, Boli PC, Party Shorts, RASCC, etc, are all cigars that I can get regularly for $5 to $8 each. And I would put them right along side most $30 NCs for my tastes.
I have the same staples and would not compare them to a $30 Padron no way. But like they say we are all different.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I have the same staples and would not compare them to a $30 Padron no way. But like they say we are all different.
Absolutely, and there are all kinds of great cigars out there, David. Over time lots of palate's change as well. Frankly at this point, I am happier with a $6 RASCC than I am with almost any high pricer Cuban RE, EL or big name cigar. Just depends what floats your boat, and we are all different. :)

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Sorry man, but he is 100% correct. Those are lower than usual for certain reasons, but it's accurate.

We cannot and will not discuss sources here, sorry. But all the info I said is 100% accurate and is where a lot of people are buying. Those prices include shipping.
I'll back this up as well. His prices are 100% correct.

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I enjoy both Cuban and non-Cuban cigars.

For ever good Cuban you name I could prob name 10 good non-Cubans.
Bro i don't think you can, pretty easy, take the discontinued list for the last years since the trend seem to be to stop making great tasting cigars!

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Bro i don't think you can, pretty easy, take the discontinued list for the last years since the trend seem to be to stop making great tasting cigars!
I'm sure I could get close. There just aren't that many Cuban brands. What is there around 25-30 brands? And each brand doesn't have that many different blends, just different sizes. Don Pepin Garcia alone has more diff cigars out than Cuba most likely. And I looove me some Pepin. :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure I could get close. There just aren't that many Cuban brands. What is there around 25-30 brands? And each brand doesn't have that many different blends, just different sizes. Don Pepin Garcia alone has more diff cigars out than Cuba most likely. And I looove me some Pepin. :)
And yet they all taste the same. Blast of pepper and then it mellows out to donkey dong.

Not knocking on ncs because there are some very good smokes out there, but imho, a lot of these newer ncs are about power and the ones following it just try and one up it. That's just how I view most ncs.

As far as cc goes, I'm pretty much 95% cc, the flavors that I get out of them are much more enjoyable than any nc, but like Tom said, like what you smoke and smoke what you like. Simple as that.

:love: < Tom

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
wish i could see who the guys that haven't tried a cuban are

We could warm up the bombers and spin up the missiles ....

Last edited:

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Absolutely, and there are all kinds of great cigars out there, David. Over time lots of palate's change as well. Frankly at this point, I am happier with a $6 RASCC than I am with almost any high pricer Cuban RE, EL or big name cigar. Just depends what floats your boat, and we are all different. :)
I hear you and before people think different so I should say I am going for at least a 80% Cuban 20% non inventory and am well on my way so though I like both I do tend to enjoy a good well aged Cuban when I want something special.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
And yet they all taste the same. Blast of pepper and then it mellows out to donkey dong.
First time I heard that all Pepin cigars taste the same...

Cubans all have a similar taste profile to me, as some describe it as "twang". When it comes down to it regardless of the brand they are all Cuban seed filler, Cuban seed binder, Cuban seed wrapper all grown in Cuba. Only so much you can do with that.

I like the variety you get with non-Cubans. Maduro, Rosado, Connecticut, Natural, Cameroon, Candella, Oscuro. Plus different regions of growing. Nicaragua, Ecuador, Dominican Republic, Mexico, even the United States. With the combination of seed types, where it was grown, and wrapper types it gives quite a bit of options.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
While I would agree that there are many more variations of tobacco with NCs (especially since that entials every country besides Cuba), I have to disagree with the contention that all Cubans have a similar taste profile. The profile for Ramon Allones is nothing like the Partagas profile to me, the earthiness of Bolivars is nothing like the bready and floral profile of ERdMs. Quai d'Orsay, Cohiba, Montecristo....nothing alike. But all palates are different, perhaps some just can't pick out the nuances of the different Cuban marcas.

Last edited:

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I voted ~ never had a cc.

I'm a cigar noob (around a year). I've been busy smokin a bunch of nc brands to find a flavor profile i like. Maybe at some point i'll venture into trying a cc but honestly it isnt too high on my priority list. Since i live in the USA i'm a little too worried about getting ripped off with fakes. Plus i really enjoy a lot of the nc's i've had.

Too many cigars and not enough time.

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
First time I heard that all Pepin cigars taste the same...

Cubans all have a similar taste profile to me, as some describe it as "twang". When it comes down to it regardless of the brand they are all Cuban seed filler, Cuban seed binder, Cuban seed wrapper all grown in Cuba. Only so much you can do with that.

I like the variety you get with non-Cubans. Maduro, Rosado, Connecticut, Natural, Cameroon, Candella, Oscuro. Plus different regions of growing. Nicaragua, Ecuador, Dominican Republic, Mexico, even the United States. With the combination of seed types, where it was grown, and wrapper types it gives quite a bit of options.
I would agree that alot of NCs have the taste of pepper amongst some others but the pepper imo is overwhelming.

And I find it incredible that you would say that the CC brands pretty much have the same profile, it is just not true. I guess you just cant find the flavors that I do.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
wish i could see who the guys that haven't tried a cuban are

We could warm up the bombers and spin up the missiles ....
Haha true.. Except I want to see who said they were overrated. Perhaps they have never had a real one, smoked a sick one, one stored at too high of RH or maybe have even smoked less than a handful of them. when their on.. They can't be beat! Or honestly they just enjoy more strength.. I personally enjoy the nice flavor and twang that develops on my breath! But to each his own, smoke what you enjoy! Just leaves more for the rest of us.. :D

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Haha true.. Except I want to see who said they were overrated. Perhaps they have never had a real one, smoked a sick one, one stored at too high of RH or maybe have even smoked less than a handful of them. when their on.. They can't be beat! Or honestly they just enjoy more strength.. I personally enjoy the nice flavor and twang that develops on my breath! But to each his own, smoke what you enjoy! Just leaves more for the rest of us.. :D
I may of missed some of the previous posts.

Thank you, your presented position to me is one of the more reasonable and less personal amongst the cc proponents efforts to widen horizons. In case someone wondered where I fall on the opening question, enjoy both.