What's new

Arizona Shootings

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Surprised no thread on this yet. Any thoughts about the mass shooting in AZ today involving the congresswoman and federal judge?

So sad obviously for all involved (9 year old child killed as well) but to be honest in a society that's as attached to guns and the right to bear arms, I'm really surprised things like this don't happen more often.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Not all people who own guns are dangerous. Its the stupid people with guns that are dangerous, it just so happens that there are stupid people. Its also a shame that people think that violence will change the way our goverment does things. That is a sad misfortune for all involved, but has absolutely nothing to do with our society having the right to bear arms.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Not all people who own guns are dangerous. Its the stupid people with guns that are dangerous, it just so happens that there are stupid people. Its also a shame that people think that violence will change the way our goverment does things. That is a sad misfortune for all involved, but has absolutely nothing to do with our society having the right to bear arms.
My sentiments exactly.

dpmrpa

Indiscriminate Bomber
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I agree extremely sad. Guns don't kill people do. Thats why we need gun control. You must monitor the people that have the guns. I hope this is not a political statement.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
CNN was basically saying that barring a 'known threat' there's no security assigned to members of congress. I was kinda shocked by that too. You can bet that will be changing.

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Very sad situation no doubt, and much is to be discussed about that.

That aside, I have to defend America's right to bear arms. Law abiding citizens are not the problem; criminal intentions are the problem and criminals will acquire guns legal or not to pursue their intent no matter how accessible firearms are.

BGC

Zach
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Surprised no thread on this yet. Any thoughts about the mass shooting in AZ today involving the congresswoman and federal judge?

So sad obviously for all involved (9 year old child killed as well) but to be honest in a society that's as attached to guns and the right to bear arms, I'm really surprised things like this don't happen more often.
Shootings happen all the time. The media doesn't cover them all. Still very tragic my thoughts are with their families.

gunbuyer76

Drew Estate Sam
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
but to be honest in a society that's as attached to guns and the right to bear arms, I'm really surprised things like this don't happen more often.
I really hate the saying guns don't kill people people kill people, but it is true, if the gun were never invented there should have never been any killings pre the invention of the matchlock ca 1250 AD.

The truth about guns in the states are it is in my mind the reason this country hasn't been invaded by a serious ground force in nearly 200 years. It is our countries most effective defense over invasion. There are over 80 million gun owners in this country, compare that to the worlds largest army (china) at 2.5 million.

I am a sane 29 year old man who lives in a blue county in a blue state that issues the third most carry permits per capita in the country (number one is the next county over). Our crime rate here in Pittsburgh is not in the top 25, even though we have all these gun owners in and around the area.

I say with gritted teeth guns don't kill people, People with grudges, anger, poverty, or any other of a million things use guns to kill people. Do you mean to tell me if guns were never invented, if Jacob and Samuel Hawken, Sam Colt, John Moses Browning, Mikhail Kalashnikov, Eliphalet Remington, Georg Luger and Oliver Winchester never walked this earth that people with hate in their hearts wouldn't take anothers life? I highly doubt that.

gunbuyer76

Drew Estate Sam
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree extremely sad. Guns don't kill people do. Thats why we need gun control. You must monitor the people that have the guns. I hope this is not a political statement.
But it is one of questionable feasibility according to one website I just visited there are 311,859,540 people in the united states. And there are around 80 million gun owners, I despise the national debt now, I would hate to see what the cost of "MONITORING" over 25% of the population. Wow what would those taxes cost us?

We could ban guns like England did, ohh wait they have a crime rate that is STILL higher than ours years after they banned guns.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I think you guys are misinterpreting what I said. I wasn't saying guns are bad or people shouldn't have the right to carry or anything like that -- all I said was that I'm surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
The sad thing is there are shootings all the time, just not that high of notablity as a Congresswoman or a Federal Judge. Thats the only reason that the shooting is such a big ordeal. If it was not those two highly powerful people the world would not even know about the shooting.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
The truth about guns in the states are it is in my mind the reason this country hasn't been invaded by a serious ground force in nearly 200 years. It is our countries most effective defense over invasion. There are over 80 million gun owners in this country, compare that to the worlds largest army (china) at 2.5 million.
As much as I loved the movie Red Dawn I would not credit the 80 million guns in this country. I would credit the logistical nightmare the two vast oceans that are patrolled by the world's greatest navy provides.

Never the less this was a tragedy perpetrated by a very disturbed individual with no political motivations from what I have read.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The sad thing is there are shootings all the time, just not that high of notablity as a Congresswoman or a Federal Judge. Thats the only reason that the shooting is such a big ordeal. If it was not those two highly powerful people the world would not even know about the shooting.
I agree with this statement. What I also must add to this is that the media down here is extremely biased and never reports on a story where a licensed gun owner stopped a crime because they took action and killed the criminal. So the only reports that get coverage and attention are the ones that put guns in a bad light.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families at this time.

Last edited:

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
NY Times’ Krugman Blames Shooting on GOP, ‘Hate-Mongers’ Beck & Limbaugh

New York Times’ columnist Paul Krugman took to his blog site Saturday to blame Republicans and conservatives for the attempted murder of Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords. Despite the somber occasion, Krugman chose to be combative and shamelessly used Saturday’s tragedy to berate those ideologically opposed to him.

Link

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
especially with only a 9mm pistol?

He would have had to reload at least once, and that's if he hit someone with every bullet, and no one had a chance to run away.....

update with quote from msnbc, they say there was a second person involved
Investigators said they were looking for an accomplice, believed to be in his 50s, who may have assisted in the attack.

Dupnik said authorities have pictures indicating the existence of a second person aiding in the attack.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40978517/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/