• Leave it on never remove it.

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • leave it on, but remove it so I can smoke the nub

Votes: 153 56.5%
  • Take it off before lighting, I don't want anyone knowing what I'm smoking

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Take it off after smoking a bit.

Votes: 55 20.3%
  • Who the F cares? It's a little piece of paper!!!

Votes: 34 12.5%

• Total voters

Bad Finger

Professional Cannabinist
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it all depends on the stick.

If it happens to be a torpedo, many of which have the bands too close to the tip, I remove it as the paper usually irritates my lip.

If it is a normal smoke, I'll leave it on until it becomes either in danger of burning, or affecting the cigar in some way.

If I'm at a local B&M or lounge, and I see my BOTL are smoking stuff that might be not quite as tasty as what I'm smoking, I'll take it off as not to offend.

If I have something new that I want people to ask about, I'll leave it on.

If I smoke a stick that has multiple bands (Padron 45th, ect), I'll take the lowest one off, and leave the standard band on.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I usually light the cigar with the band on and leave it on until its in danger of burning. I cant stand people who will burn their bands just so they can still have their status symbol.
CHOOCHES!

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Amazing how many different opinions on this topic, I can not believe anyone leaves the band on as a status symbol I know no one like this and actually have never even heard of such a thing until this thread kinda silly really LOL

I said way earlier and will repeat again the band as I know and think of it is to keep the cigar from unraveling for this reason I leave it on until I am sure that will not happen and if at home take it off and throw it in the box I save for my nephew who wants to use as a poker table top. If out and smoking with friends I remove and in the ashtray it goes at the same point above.
If someone thinks my cigar band is doing anything different well that is their problem and I could not car less :) :dunno:

cashedash

illusione
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Definitely take off the band!

Leaving the band on just does not seem right. Smoking a cigar is about enjoyment and it is an art in a way for the taste buds. To leave the band supports competition. Its like a price tag. Which is kind of the way things are in American culture, make a ton of money and be richer and better than everyone else which is not what I want cigars to be about.

This thread discribes what cigar smoking is about very well,
http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=13729

here is the last bit of the post:
But even more important than any of that is the cigar smoking experience itself. Unlike a cigarette, smoking a cigar isn’t about the delivery of nicotine–just like drinking a fine wine isn’t about the consumption of alcohol. Smoking a cigar is about the symphony of flavors, the admiration of the fine construction, the appreciation of the aroma, the use of the accessories, the hobby of collecting, and possibly most important of all, the camaraderie of enjoying one with a group of fellow cigar smokers.
It is a sort of brotherhood.
And we are Brothers of the Leaf.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I take the band off immediately... not to prevent others from seeing it... in fact quite the opposite.

I always bring a roll of packaging quality masking tape with me. I'll cut off about 4" and use it to "paste" the band to my forehead - that way it makes it that much easier for people to see what I'm smoking, because it is always something super special and having it front and center makes it easier to read compared to looking between my fingers.

Its a great conversation starter too - I'd encourage you guys to try it.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
So how do you smoke your cigars? Band ON or OFF? Personally I leave it on until it is in danger of being burnt. Please give a reson for your vote. My ereason is that i collect my bands, and don't want then to tear, so I hope that the heat will loosen the glue. I'm also worried about damaging the wrappper.
+ another 1

Bands are things of beauty and definitely part of the whole experience for me. I also collect them but especially hate having to open the band. Love to keep them intact.

One.day when I hit the lottery and open my own shop I'm gonna make the company logo amd name out of my collected bands....

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When I was a noob I always left it on because I never knew when a cigar was going to blow up on me which happened quite a bit.
I still leave it on out of habit.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I leave the band on because I take pictures of my smoke throughout the experience. This way, I know what the cigar is.

I generally smoke alone or with only a couple of good friends. There is no status with my bands - they don't care what I'm smoking.

Mr.Erskine

I am the Walrus
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I started leaving it on after reading a couple posts about the heat from the smoke softening the glue and making it easier to take off. I damaged a few bands taking them off at the beginning

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I started leaving it on after reading a couple posts about the heat from the smoke softening the glue and making it easier to take off. I damaged a few bands taking them off at the beginning
I've had to more or less give up hope of taking off the band intact. I just can't stand to leave it on long enough to come loose. I know it sounds silly, but that bit of paper, and what it represents really does affect my enjoyment.

For me a cigar has two identities. One created by the marketing department, and another created by growers, blenders and rollers who actually designed and created the cigar.

I am comfortable relating to the cigar as its superficial brand-dress identity when I'm buying, selling, trading, and storing it. Once it's lit, however, the real experience starts. In the smoking experience you are relating to the underlying identity, the "true cigar". At that point the band becomes an unwelcome remnant of the superficial.

Anyone else feel that way?

-Charles

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Charles
No disrespect Brother but anyone spending that much time thinking about the band just can't enjoy the cigar. Just my opinion and you asked no I don't feel that way.

Dave

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still a n00b here, but so far I've let it on, and have taken it off once the cigar has losened the glue a bit.

However, I live in Germany when I'm not in Afghanistan. So if I smoke one in public, I suppose I'll have to take the band off from the start, or risk getting yelled at in German.

I have to wonder, though. If I'm smoking an inexpensive brand and leave the band on, I would hope that somebody who cares enough about band on/band off would recognize the band, and that I'm not showing off, and would therefore leave it alone. Now, if it were a 10+ dollar/euro cigar, it would be a different story.

Mr.Erskine

I am the Walrus
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've had to more or less give up hope of taking off the band intact. I just can't stand to leave it on long enough to come loose. I know it sounds silly, but that bit of paper, and what it represents really does affect my enjoyment.

For me a cigar has two identities. One created by the marketing department, and another created by growers, blenders and rollers who actually designed and created the cigar.

I am comfortable relating to the cigar as its superficial brand-dress identity when I'm buying, selling, trading, and storing it. Once it's lit, however, the real experience starts. In the smoking experience you are relating to the underlying identity, the "true cigar". At that point the band becomes an unwelcome remnant of the superficial.

Anyone else feel that way?

-Charles
I'm disappointed if the band tears when I'm trying to take it off, ESPECIALLY, if it's a cigar that I know I may not get to try again because I can't afford the $20+ sticks. However, I don't think that it has ever affected my enjoyment of the cigar.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what if you warmed the band with a lighter several inches away? Would it loosen up the gum a little without affecting the cigar?

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
If I'm smoking at a B&M, I usually take the band off (if I can get it off easily), but when I'm at home, I leave it on. For me, enjoying the artwork on bands only serves to enhance the experience for me, so when I'm at home, I always leave them on.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
So how do you smoke your cigars? Band ON or OFF? Personally I leave it on until it is in danger of being burnt. Please give a reson for your vote. My ereason is that i collect my bands, and don't want then to tear, so I hope that the heat will loosen the glue. I'm also worried about damaging the wrappper.
+1. This sums up my smoke routine almost perfectly. I love collecting the wrappers just to look back and remember good cigars. Along those lines, I also don't like my fiancée see that box because she'd realize how many cigars I'm smoking :halfgrinw