What's new

Be careful when buying a custom Humidor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys, I am sad to say that the minor concurs I have had with my Humidor have not been taken care of after a year of emails back and fourth with Waxingmoon. you can see pictures from my other post when received. I did not point out my concerns there as I thought they would due fix.

Below you will see a few of those emails.

ME: "Sorry I have taken so long to send you the picture. I have tag the concern areas on each picture. If you need more of the white haze let me know and I will send them. Also the trays that don't have an even gap seem to be at each level.

Not sure if that is for expansion and contrasting of the wood, but I would think that an even gap would work best.

Let me know what you think and what I can do to fix the white haze and it the chipped part is going to be a problem."
Builder: "I believe the white haze to be dust that got in to the lacquer..... Not really a hard thing to fix.... that's what it looks like to me. I try to ensure that don't happen, but sometimes it gets pretty dusty in the shop.... and my eyes don't see straight....

The chip on the SC is not an issue, happens to most of the humidors, but, I usually catch it before it goes out.... it does not affect the seal, as the bevel itself is the sealing factor.... I have sanded the edges down as much as 3/16" before.... no problem there. A little 100 grit sandpaper will even it out and will not compromise the seal...

I'm not sure about the gap on the trays.... it could be that the slats may have pulled 'em out of square.... if you want, shoot me the dims on them and I can redo...."

Me: "I am checking if you received my last email. If you have let me know what we can do to address the concerns I have. Also How do I go about cleaning up the white haze. I will get you the measurements that you asked for this week."

Builder "I am sorry, I read it on my phone the day you sent it and then it fell off my radar when I got home.... too many emails, I think....
I am trying to get in touch with a friend of mine in the woodworking community out in your area to see if he can be of assistance...
He would be able to tighten it up for us....
I'll holler at ya when I get it pinned down....

Me: " were you able to contact your guy out my way about fixing my concerns in the humidor?"

Builder: "Yes, I've been talking to three fellow woodworkers in your area. I participate in a couple of woodworking forums as well.... I don't have it pinned down yet, but they are willing to help out... What day(s) would you be available, typically?"

Me: "the best time for me to go and drop off the humidor would be on the weekend."

Builder: " Are you anywhere near Whittier, CA?"

Me: "I'm not far form there"

Builder: "I've spoken to my friend out there in Whittier.... and he is not equipped to do any lacquer finishing... however, he is a member of a local woodworking club and at their next meeting he will bring it to the table and find one of the members that will be more than happy to do this... they may even make it a class at their meeting...."

Me: "I am not sure about all the hands that this might have to see to fix the concerns I have with the humidor. If something happens to the humidor are you willing to take responsibility and replace the humidor?

I understand that you are trying to make this as easy as possible, but to save on shipping and have the humidor exchange hands with many people that I do not know or you do not know I feel is taking a large chance. I will be ok with this if you are willing to take responsibility for anything that may go wrong. If not then we need to set up a pick up date for you to have the humidor returned and fixed.

Builder: "I will take responsibility.... Let me see what we come up with and make a decision from there.

Perhaps it may be better to send it back and I could fix it - no problem.

Those took place in in 6-6-11 to 6-26-11.

Then 7-5-11 I mention a refund.

Me: "We are reaching a point that my concerns with the humidor are starting to drag out too long. I understand that you a business and that your humidor business is a hobby/second income, but I am starting to worry about how long the concerns will take to be addressed if at all.
The work you but in is great minus my concerns. The worked with my wife and I was great on matching what we were looking for. The build time was a little longer then expected and the shipping was a little more then expected. we understand this. The time that it is taking to see about the repairs that are needed I feel is getting long. the amount that we have paid is not drop in the bucket and we are willing to pay a premium for a custom humidor. At the same time we expect that the humidor comes with not concerns or issues as it did.
Lets get his resolved soon or start to look at a return with a full refund of the humidor and all shipping cost."

Builder: 7-6-11 "Thank you for the compliments.... and I will be willing to do the refund thing, but it may take me a little while to get it together.... This is my full time job... as I had given up my "day job" back in Feb....

Cutting my thumb off didn't help.... it put me way behind and then I found myself rushing... which wasn't a good thing... but, nonetheless.... it happened.

I have a few things going on, as well as some interest in the humidor by some folks - in it's as-is condition, which would expedite my ability to refund you.

I'm sorry it didn't meet your expectations... I guess we all have "off days"...

Me: 8-3-11 " Checking in with you to see were we are at with the refund.

From this point on nothing but talk from the builder. I can go on much more, but not need. It is clear what has happened. All I want now is my money back and move forward. I have not used the humidor. I have posted a thread at another forum and is was closed due to not giving a name of the vendor. The admis say other wise, but what other reason?

I have posted a few pictures that show the concerns I have. The pictures were taken with in a few weeks of getting the humidor. waxing moon was notified soon after I opened the shipping box. The purpose of these post is to say be careful when you by from waxing moon and I am trying to get my money back still.

Attachments

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid $1200 for the humidor and I think $160 for shipping. I gave the him a chance to to fix the humidor and he dragged it out for about 3 months. At that point I told him to to fix the humidor or refund me. He stated as I show in the first post that he would refund me.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely get your money back. Damn dude, I hate that you paid pretty much 14 bills for a humidor that isn't constructed as good as most $100 humidors.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get me wrong the humidor looks great, but it does bother me with the minor concerns I had. I tried working with waxing moon as I have shown and nothing yet. I have not used the humidor so I could allow him to fix the humidor or take it back and refund me.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get a refund and then go to http://www.aristocrathumidors.com/ i have a end table humi from him and it is perfect in every way imaginable.
The funny thing is I looked at those. I told my wife to hold on sending the money as i wanted to look further in those and she had all ready sent the money. I was ok with it as I thought I was getting a quality custom made humidor that no one else would have.

I defiantly got a custom made humidor that no one else has. :timebomb:

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Wow, over on cigar asylum he is making all kinds of new humidors. I was about to buy a smaller one, but after seeing this thread, I think I am going to steer clear.

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
On a side note, given what happened with Smelvis' humidor, I'm sort of shocked that he didn't switch to using crates for shipping these huge humidors.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
For that price you could get a humidor from Ron and it will be a helluva lot better one! :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
If it's his full time business he should easily have the money to refund you. If he doesn't have $1500 available, he's not eating for very long.

I'd file a lawsuit against him. Seems like most people like this find the money once they realize they're going to lose money if they don't settle out of court.

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Aside from quite possibly the worst pictures ever taken, you can definitely see the shoddy craftsmanship. I hope you get your money back.

coastalgriff

Educated Redneck
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
If it's his full time business he should easily have the money to refund you. If he doesn't have $1500 available, he's not eating for very long.

I'd file a lawsuit against him. Seems like most people like this find the money once they realize they're going to lose money if they don't settle out of court.
I would think that someone selling to such a "niche" community would bend over backwards to make it right. A poor reputation echoed on the major sites would likely shut him down.

Status
Not open for further replies.