What's new

Beer O da day!

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Speaking of quality local beer, this is the best beer Red Brick in Atlanta has ever produced IMO. Too bad it was a one time release. I've got 1 bottle left. :(

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
The true lambics you mentioned are extremely difficult to find near me and if you do find one its $35+ for a 750ml bottle. Like Chuck, I've lost interest in chasing whales with so much good local beer around now. Boon Oude Gueze is one of my favorites because it follows traditional lambic processes, is pretty easy to find, and I can get a 750 for $12.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Right? The chase and the spiked prices are just ridiculous. I just want to grab a beer when I’m out grocery shopping and not go out of my way.

But some beer nuts go the extra mile, not my thing.

Had a guy try to flip me 4 cans from New York today for $45 plus shipping slip. I almost died from laughing so hard.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Just an FYI, but the Kriek, like most Lindemans beers you'll find stateside, is not a real lambic, because it gets artificially sweetened. If you want the genuine article, the only two Lindeman beers sold in the US that fit the bill are the Lindemans Oude Gueuze Cuvée René and the Lindemans Oude Kriek Cuvée René. FWIW, the Oude Kriek is quite good, and significantly preferable to the foil-wrapped Kriek pictured above. (Note: they do have the occasional limited release that is similarly authentic, but they require mail-ordering from Europe, unlike the two I mentioned.) Lindeman's aside, if you want authentic lambic in the US, you should be looking for beers from 3 Fonteinen, Cantillon, Tilquin, and De Caam. Failing that, there are some less appealing options from Boon, Oud Beersel, and Girardin. Outside the US there are a few other special brewers and/or blenders who make solid stuff too, Bokkereyder and Uli being prime examples, but getting their stuff is a massive hassle at best. Apologies if you know all this; just trying to be helpful. If you or anybody else needs/wants more info, feel free to send me a PM.
Always appreciate information, no worries. Spent quite a bit of time in Europe (much of it on Uncle Sam's dime), and enjoyed travelling around sampling the regional beers. Generally prefer the darker styles, Dunkels, Dunkelweissens, Porters, Stouts, Bocks, etc. Found other stuff now and then, but although they always tend to rate very high... most stuff from Belgium was out of my wheelhouse. Occasionally I'd find one I liked, but am not usually a big fan of fruit or a lot of fizz in beer. Lambics remind me of the fests around Christmas though, so I like to enjoy a few during the season. In Germany a local favorite in some areas was beer (various types) with cherry juice added. Also, they often mix beer and cola. So of course a beer and cherry cola was a poor mans kreik lambic. Not really the same of course, but it was done anyway. Something not right about the whole idea... but who am I to argue with Germans about beer?

Will keep an eye out for the ones you suggested... Thanks for the tips.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Still a decent kriek, and chasing beer these days is lame. Easier to get what’s close by
The true lambics you mentioned are extremely difficult to find near me and if you do find one its $35+ for a 750ml bottle. Like Chuck, I've lost interest in chasing whales with so much good local beer around now. Boon Oude Gueze is one of my favorites because it follows traditional lambic processes, is pretty easy to find, and I can get a 750 for $12.
I agree there's lots of good stuff readily available. Much better than it used to be. The big liquor stores around here are BevMo, and Total Wine and More. Going to either is a sure way for me to spend more than I want. If I manage to get out of the whisk(e)y isles without passing my $$ limit, the beer isle is sure to finish me off. This is the best/worst time of year... All the Christmas/winter beers are tailor made for my tastes.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
They are still pretty small time but are getting better with distribution across NE and have great reviews which you can probably see or this case taste why.

Luckily the package close by stocks them pretty regularly but only 4-pack limit