What's new

Best "Short Filler" Cigar Ever?

LOD

Just a guy smoking cigars
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks Steve for taking the time and explaining all that goes into making it at the DE booth! I really enjoyed it and look forward to purchasing them from a retailer!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DAMN...

You'd think we kicked some puppies or some shit reading some of the vitriol...

And I am blown away by the "expert" opinions on tobacco and labor prices and folks claiming this and that...

It is just a cigar.

Smoke it and decided for yourself if it is worth $6....

If it is, please buy it, cause Lord knows we appreciate the cash.

If it ain't your cup of tea, no harm, no foul - I understand - there are plenty of great cigars by plenty of great cigar makers to choose from.

My personal attitude is that I like it, I think it is hell of a little smoke, and even though we could of never told anyone it was comprised of table cuts (look at the few comments already posted by those that have smoked it), I wanted to be upfront and disclose the fact - we pride ourselves on being authentic.

Ultimately it will either be successful and it will help to reduce the escalating costs of Liga OR it will fail and we will go back to adding all the LP trimmings to bundle grade cigars.

But there certainly is anything here to get anyone's panties in a twist over...

Steve Saka
"I have been demoted - must'a been that stupid papas fritas idea"
Now CEO, Drew Estate
LOL, again - love the communication , don't buy the message :)

I know I can't speak for others, but my point was purely based on your explanation of the cost vs price of the cigar. Taste is way too subjective to even go there.

You don't have to be an "expert" to know that the tobacco is already paid for and the labor prices are, well, third-world country labor prices. But, hey, if you can sell bundle-grade tobacco for $6/stick - more power to you.

However, I don't see the reason behind pretending that cigar manufacturing is some kind of closed-rank society and we, the uninitiated, can't pick up a phone, call some tobacco leaf resellers and get a price list faxed?!? Or did you have to sacrifice a goat and a couple of virgins before you were allowed to know the prices of cigar tobacco? :)

As far as getting "panties in a twist" - it's a forum, i.e. "a medium of open discussions and expression of ideas". Not everyone will agree with you, not everyone will agree with me, no need to be condescending about it ;)

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
no need to be condescending about it ;)
condescending like saying:
"Or did you have to sacrifice a goat and a couple of virgins before you were allowed to know the prices of cigar tobacco?"

I personally trust the folks over at DE completely, they have earned it. At least that's how I see it.
Now back to the cigar, I'm pumped to try them, probably won't over take my other small smokes (baitfish, PCR, verocu #5)

Last edited:

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
, no need to be condescending about it ;)
condesending like saying:
"Or did you have to sacrifice a goat and a couple of virgins before you were allowed to know the prices of cigar tobacco?"

I personally trust the folks over at DE completely, they have earned it. At least that's how I see it.
Now back to the cigar, I'm pumped to try them, probably won't over take my other small smokes (baitfish, PCR, verocu #5)
This! Also - its not like these "tobacco leaf resellers" you're referring to have the utmost quality leaf for sale that DE uses in all it's Liga products.

I'm all for an open discussion & believe me, I know everyone's tastes are different, but you're starting to come off as a hater...

Last edited:

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
, no need to be condescending about it ;)
condesending like saying:

This! Also - its not like these "tobacco leaf resellers" you're referring to have the utmost quality leaf for sale that DE uses in all it's Liga products.

I'm all for an open discussion & believe me, I know everyone's tastes are different, but you're starting to come off as a hater...
x2. Tobacco is not a homogeneous product for which all are priced the same. Plus while labor rates in a 3rd world country may be dirt cheap, you have no idea how much time LP takes to sort through the short filler to pick which should actually be used. If the typical short filler cigar is just lumped up and thrown into a cigar and LP takes 4x as long to sort through it, those labor costs add up and exponentially add to the RETAIL price of the cigar. As in, an extra 50 cents in labor cost can easily result in an extra $2-3 in a cigar.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
this is like people complaining about the price of a sausage coming close to that of a steak, per pound. if they are making it out of kobe beef, it's still not cheap. and, if they are making it well, i'm going to eat it. o)

(what, i'm a fat kid at heart, food analogies come easy for me!)

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
I love sausage and LP. I'm going to smoke the cigars and then eat sausage out of the pretty tin because then it'll be LP sausage. Can't wait to try these. Finally got some UF 4s today.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
"short filler"?
The politically correct term is "length-challenged filler"...Let's not offend, gentlemen
And not to mention it's "length challenged filler" from some of my favorite cigars on the market. Blasphemy though! Who in their right mind would take such a good name like LP and brand it on a short filler cigar! That's wrong, that's just wrong on every level! Not. You guys at DE are famous for thinking out of the box anyway. If you can market an LP trimmings cigar to help alleviate the cost of the ever-inaccessible full size Ligas I say more power to you! I've smoked plenty of $6 cigars that I've enjoyed MUCH less than the PF

If you don't like the idea, don't buy them. I, for one, will be enjoying these as long as you manufacture them. Keep 'em coming boys

Damoba

Dan, Dan the Cigar Man
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I want to repost some thing from BrandonP on page 9.

"I want to say this: Props to JD, Saka, Marvin, and crew for having the balls to keep taking chances like they have from day one and even bigger props for being honest about what this cigar is."

This is a pic of a very old DE cigar. This band alone was very risque at the time of its release. Cigars are a very tradition based consumer product. For those of us who respect the difference that Drew Estate brings to the industry, we find pride in supporting this company. To compare DE to Apple and the malarky of Steve Jobs is bullshit. Keep in mind you call us "fan boys" all you want but that's just your opinion, and that's where it stops. If people want to act like haters in high school, so be it. I appreciate the open communication between DE and its consumers, who else does this? Like the idea of PF or not why be a hater?

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
^^^ This man speaks the truth. The best part is JD explained this to us in person. He took the time out of his busy day to actually share his passion for Drew Estates cigars. Who does that? JD you had me at Hello.... <3's

I just Toby McGuired. Hehe!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I want to repost some thing from BrandonP on page 9.

"I want to say this: Props to JD, Saka, Marvin, and crew for having the balls to keep taking chances like they have from day one and even bigger props for being honest about what this cigar is."

This is a pic of a very old DE cigar. This band alone was very risque at the time of its release. Cigars are a very tradition based consumer product. For those of us who respect the difference that Drew Estate brings to the industry, we find pride in supporting this company. To compare DE to Apple and the malarky of Steve Jobs is bullshit. Keep in mind you call us "fan boys" all you want but that's just your opinion, and that's where it stops. If people want to act like haters in high school, so be it. I appreciate the open communication between DE and its consumers, who else does this? Like the idea of PF or not why be a hater?
True Story brother....

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
ATLRUS.

Thank you for your compliment (kudos) for staying in touch with our customers. Really appreciate it. :) And thank you as well in regard to your Google Expertise. Look bro, I made the mistake one time of getting into a whole shit with someone on the board. We said sorry to each other and moved on. Not everybody loves any brand. Look, Gravity is no Liga fan, but I respect him and would never mess with the guy. We just have different taste in cigars. But you. (Sorry, but I can't stop laughing right now.) Seriously, bro. I almost spit out my Fage Greek Yogurt when I ready your stuff from other boards. Even if you're right about something or other or wrong or whatever. You're too funny. Which tobacco brokers are you in discussions with and how do you know what we pay our employees or if we have medical plans for them or full life insurance for every single one of them or free bus systems or build houses for them or whatever.

All that aside. I just found two of your reviews of other brands. I love them. I really do.

I thought your review of Tatuaje was interesting:

--------------------

Cigar Reviewed: Tatuaje Cabinet Havana Cazadores

"Dont believe the hype"

Review by: atlrus
Review Date: 02/10/2008
Rating: 2
Criteria 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Appearance
Construction
Flavor
Value
Overall Experience

Review Notes: Picked up this cigar only because of the hype, the appearance alone is comparable to a dog rocket. Tried 3 cigars in a row - all of them with impossible draw. Felt sorry for the BM employee and didnt ask for fourth. What I got from the last cigar was nothing, very simple, medium and almost no flavor whatsoever. All this, combined with the very poor quality of the cigars made this one awful purchase.

----------------------------------------
I also liked your Monte White review: Dude, I can't stop laughing ....

---------------------------------------

Cigar Reviewed: Montecristo White Churchill | Go Back To User's List

"The best mild cigar"

Review by: atlrus
Review Date: 02/10/2008
Rating: 9
Criteria 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Appearance
Construction
Flavor
Value
Overall Experience

Review Notes: This is by far the best mild cigar ever made. Although expensive, once you light up, you taste the quality leaf, hense the price. I have smoked many mild cigars, and although good, none comes close to Monte White. If you are looking for a mild cigar, this is a must try. I always keep 2 boxes of Monte White on hand.
--------------------------

Please don't be mad at me, bro. I am so exhausted from this week and I'm trying to get these four puppies adopted with weird people calling and whatnot. I just love your reviews. Please don't be mad. Seriously.

JD