What's new

Best voice from the Grunge era

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Who do you think had the best voice in the grunge era (early 90s). I love the music from that time. I'm 47, and that period was sweet as rock music goes...I just purchased Chris Cornell "Songbird" an acoustic masterpiece. Who is your favorite?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Alice in Chains lead singer Layne Staley. I grew up with grunge as i was entering my teens in the early nineties. Graduated in 96'

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I enjoyed the Grunge era as well. Lot's of good bands that rocked back then.

Tough choice

But

Scott Weiland of STP gets my vote:yes:

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Nirvana is one of my favorite bands (any Genre) however there are so many great groups from that time frame that I would have to say I love most of them. Soundgarden, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice In Chains, Cake and many others have some pretty good size chunks of real estate on my iPod. Pearl Jam was one that I could never warm up to for some reason though. Probably because I can only understand about 10% of what Eddie Vedder is mumbling when he sings.

For best voice it is really tough to pick between Layne Staley and Chris Cornell. The combination of Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell on songs like "Rooster" is second to none in my book. Curt Kirkwood from Meat Puppets and Shannon Hoon from Blind Melon get honorable mention however if I had to pick just one voice I would have to say Chris Cornell.

Last edited:

Rupe

Rating - 100%
401   0   0
[video=youtube_share;221mohEolWc]http://youtu.be/221mohEolWc[/video]
Neil Young takes it imho
I've always been a big fan of Neil, going all the way back to my "stoner" days in the 70's. Pochahontas, Ride My Llama, Needle and the Damage Done, Cinnamon Girl, Cortez the Killer, Cowgirl in The Sand, Rockin in The Free World, the list goes on and on.....

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Neil Young takes it imho
I've always been a big fan of Neil, going all the way back to my "stoner" days in the 70's. Pochahontas, Ride My Llama, Needle and the Damage Done, Cinnamon Girl, Cortez the Killer, Cowgirl in The Sand, Rockin in The Free World, the list goes on and on.....
Haha it's funny picturing you as a "stoner" after seeing your pic with lilo! :razz:

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The only reason I would choose Cornell over Staley is that he has an amazing voice to this day. However, Staley was a remarkable talent. Listen to the Mad Season release for a thrill.

edit: If you posted here, you already know about Mad Season, for sure, right? :)

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
No need for 'Grunge qualifier'. Chris Cornell is one of the best, if not the best rock singers of ANY rock sub-genre. Period.

Rupe

Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Neil Young takes it imho
Haha it's funny picturing you as a "stoner" after seeing your pic with lilo! :razz:
That wasn't me in the photo. That's Jose(?) from ETDB....LOL :nodlaugh:

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I'm a big fan of Neil Young's work including the mirrorball album from the grunge era. Dave Grohl gets my vote too!

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
So many unique, good, strong voices back then it's hard to pick one. If I were to give my njstone best "one" it would be Vedder, Cornell, Staley, Cobain and Andrew Wood.