Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
How is it that no one has suggested Mark Arm, the man that coined the term Grunge!?!
You just did :).

Does he have a good voice?
Better than any of those other pop bands mentioned....
The singer from mudhoney better than those mentioned in this thread? Thanks for the laugh bro.
From a musicology perspective, the man kinda has a point - Bands like Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, AiC, and STP all were commodified versions of "Grunge" while the innovators - bands like Mudhoney, Tadd, and their cohorts - were left marginalized. One of the speculations as to why Kurt Cobain shot himself was due to feelings about Nirvana, as an originator in the movement, becoming a pop-commodity.

So what is really "grunge?" It is a made up term to describe a style of contemporary music, but what constitutes "grundge?" And what distinguishes "grunge" from "rock"? Are bands like Nickleback and Puddle of Mud "grunge" because they sound almost similar (on a large scale) to STP, even after Sunny Day Real Estate's "Diary" was proclaimed to be "The Last Grunge Record"?

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
They were left marginalized because they couldn't compete... err sell, like the others. Had Mudhoney, Tadd and their cohorts sold like the others they would have been listed in your argument with Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, AiC, ect.... And no way am I putting Nickleback or Puddle of Crud in the same category as SG AIC PJ or Nirvana

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
They were left marginalized because they couldn't compete... err sell, like the others. Had Mudhoney, Tadd and their cohorts sold like the others they would have been listed in your argument with Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, AiC, ect.... And no way am I putting Nickleback or Puddle of Crud in the same category as SG AIC PJ or Nirvana
Right, that is my point. Most people are treating this question, by proxy, about the sales (and not pure competition) and the way to get those sales was to polish up the "grunge." Compare Soundgarden's "Birth Ritual" [Youtube]LB2NzTNptp0[/youtube] to anything off "Superunknown." As the band sought more commercial success Thayll's solo's got cleaned up, the bass was compressed more, Matt Cameron's drum tone was made brighter and more resonant, and Cornell became more focused on melody... but so what if all the other Seattle bands weren't going to go down that path? That's their choice, but that is besides the point.

All I am sayin' is that we have to be fair. We can't discredit Mark Arm as a candidate for "best singer from the grunge era" based on the popularity approach, because that same approach would suggest that we should all be smoking RP's & Gurkhas based on their widespread market appeal.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Right, that is my point. Most people are treating this question, by proxy, about the sales (and not pure competition) and the way to get those sales was to polish up the "grunge." Compare Soundgarden's "Birth Ritual" [Youtube]LB2NzTNptp0[/youtube] to anything off "Superunknown." As the band sought more commercial success Thayll's solo's got cleaned up, the bass was compressed more, Matt Cameron's drum tone was made brighter and more resonant, and Cornell became more focused on melody... but so what if all the other Seattle bands weren't going to go down that path? That's their choice, but that is besides the point.

All I am sayin' is that we have to be fair. We can't discredit Mark Arm as a candidate for "best singer from the grunge era" based on the popularity approach, because that same approach would suggest that we should all be smoking RP's & Gurkhas based on their widespread market appeal.
I see what you're saying there and it is a very valid point. It also pretty much explains why "Bleach" is still my favorite Nirvanna release. The only other release after "Never Mind" that came close to that same vibe was the live album "From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkaw"

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0

I am basing my decision of best singer by level of talent not most popular. And personally don't think Mark Arm's talent is even close to most of those mentioned in this thread. Also dont think him naming "grunge" makes him the best or has any relevance to this conversation.

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Mudhoney is one of the only grunge bands I've actually seen live. Once at a local small venue, and once as an opening act. That said, I didn't really enjoy them either time. His vocal talent just isn't there, for me. Nice guy, though- very approachable. :)

I'd have to say my favorite vocals come from Lane Staley (sp?) Paired with Jerry Cantrell.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I agree with you, Craig. Music genres evolve from their infant stages, and they get better, imo, almost without exception.

dennisking

Occasional smoker
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thought that came to my mind was Chris Cornell but that was because I was thinking about Grunge music and not just Grunge era music in general. My favorite vocalist from that era is Bradley Nowell of Sublime. Amazing vocalist and my number one pick. Honorable mentions are Layne Staley, Jerry Cantrell, Scott Weiland, and the lead singer of Gin Blossoms.

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Not grunge, but Mike Patton has an amazing vocal range. In the span of a minute he can go from standard vocals to screams to weird noises to opera, and make it all blend together seamlessly.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would agree with the Chris Cornell votes but I think he gets edged out by Shannon Hoon from The Meat Puppets.