What's new

Best voice from the Grunge era

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
You guys listed a lot great "best voices" that I agree with... I know that this may be a stretch since their music is considered more Electronica, trip hop or even alternative...

but I love Beth Gibbons from Portishead. I'm not sure why? I think it had to do with a girl that I dated briefly in College that loved their music.

This is not my favorite songs by them, but one of their more popular hits.

[video=youtube;yF-GvT8Clnk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF-GvT8Clnk[/video]

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Jon, I bet that chick you dated was hot...just a guess :)

Ordered Dummy cd from Amazon just now...$5.28 shipped. I hope the rest of the album is as good as that clip.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Wow, this is a tough choice. I graduated HS in '94, right in the heart of the grunge era. But, like others have said, there are so many great, unique voices, it's hard to choose. And now my wife is laughing at me because I told her this question poses the most difficult choice of my adult life. :)

Anyway, I'll have to think on this for a moment.

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
As all you guys have mentioned its a very tough choice. Each vocalist had his own thing. I grew up listening to these guys and saw all if them multiple times live. I guess I'll go with Cornell.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Oof this is tough. Voice wise I'd have to go with Cornell but you can't go wrong with anyone from then, Weiland was awesome on tiny music, hoon was great with soup and cobain and vedder were unreal with All their albums.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Ed Kowalczyk, Chris Cornell, and Scott Weiland. I know Kowalczyk wasn't "grunge" really, but he has an amazing voice (still!).

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Oh man is this a tough one. I had the great pleasure of living near Seattle from early 1992 until 1997. I was a huge grunge fan, so living there during that time I was like a kid in a candy store. It is difficult to argue with Chris Cornell as THE voice of grunge. Of course that means you have to discount the voice that belonged to the face of grunge, Curt Cobain. Without Nirvanna, who knows if all those other bands would have made it out of regional prominence. If he had lived, Andrew Wood, like Graig Mac mentioned, may have been that guy. But after you listen to "Reach Down" by Temple of the Dog, it is hard to argue about Chris Cornell. Two of my favorite Seattle bands that never really made it had great front men/vocalists of that era. Ben McMillan of Gruntruck had an awesome voice and they were one of the best live bands I have ever seen. Ty Willman of Green Apple Quickstep had one of my favorite voices and that band was one that I would go see every time they played. What was great about that time was that except for Cobain and Vedder all of those bands were very accessible and you would see them at all of the local music venues. My buddy and I were at a show one night when this guy walked up and stood beside us. We looked over and there stood Krist Novoselic from Nirvanna. he was very nice and talked to us for a long time about the local music scene. Anyway, it is all subjective and as you can tell it is one of my favorite rock eras. I guess I like it so much because of what it wasn't as much as what it was...it wasn't 80's hair bands...man I hated 80's rock.

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
It's funny you say that about 80's rock, because the one and only thing I don't like about Chris Cornell is his falsetto screaming. Reminds me too much of the 80's bands.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
It's funny you say that about 80's rock, because the one and only thing I don't like about Chris Cornell is his falsetto screaming. Reminds me too much of the 80's bands.
haha..yep that is true he did do a lot of falsetto. I think it was all the spandex and hair spray of the 80's bands that I really hated.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Cornell sounds like a bag of hammered dog shit live. Studio is another story. Shannon Hoon gets my vote.
I've seen Cornell 5 times and am going to Soundgarden again in February.

Once with Soundgarden.
Twice with Audioslave.
Twice solo (once electric, once unacompanied aucoustic).

On the electric solo tour, his voice was burnt out. The other 4 times he was amazing, so I will beg to differ.

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
You guys listed a lot great "best voices" that I agree with... I know that this may be a stretch since their music is considered more Electronica, trip hop or even alternative...

but I love Beth Gibbons from Portishead. I'm not sure why? I think it had to do with a girl that I dated briefly in College that loved their music.

This is not my favorite songs by them, but one of their more popular hits.
Funny, happened to me a couple of times. The music still sticks with me though those ladies are nearly forgotten, still occasionally listen to country and some 90's era bands because of them. I def wouldn't of picked up listening to the Cranberries w/o other influence, but still gotta pop in the old cd's every now and then.

Gotta go with Cornell as well. Not sure if these guys fit the category; but have really enjoyed the voices of Corey Glover of Living Colour as well as System of a Down's Serj Tankian.

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
Corey Glover of Living Colour
ha, ha... completely forgot about that band! You guys are taking me done memory lane with this thread.

Jon, I bet that chick you dated was hot...just a guess :)
She had an exotic, hypnotizing look… it wasn’t a long relationship but very memorable in many ways! I haven’t thought about her and Portishead for a really long time… Thx.

There are so many good bands and singers listed, taking me back to so many past memories.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
This one is from left field, but I always loved this band especially for their singer, Eric Bachman.
[YOUTUBE]LTegGRqoh30[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]p8heCttqF3E[/YOUTUBE]

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Cornell sounds like a bag of hammered dog shit live. Studio is another story. Shannon Hoon gets my vote.
I've seen Cornell 5 times and am going to Soundgarden again in February.

Once with Soundgarden.
Twice with Audioslave.
Twice solo (once electric, once unacompanied aucoustic).

On the electric solo tour, his voice was burnt out. The other 4 times he was amazing, so I will beg to differ.
Never SEEN him live, but all the live YouTube clips of him are amazing!

Ed Kowalczyk is another great one live (pun intended).

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Chris Cornell hands down...

always like Mark Lanegan from Screaming Trees too though...