What's new

Blending Thread

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Thoughts? It's gonna be hella mild. Probably very good with the ligero and a more robust wrapper, tho. Time's gonna tell!
I'm a mild guy by and large so that's what I was hoping for - although I might go with the ligero right out of the gate.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm a mild guy by and large so that's what I was hoping for - although I might go with the ligero right out of the gate.
More thoughts: At the least, roll three different blends from those leaves, like 2 each. Or five blends. Change a leaf or half leaf here and there in each set. It'll increase your odds and help you start stacking up blending experience faster.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
More thoughts: At the least, roll three different blends from those leaves, like 2 each. Or five blends. Change a leaf or half leaf here and there in each set. It'll increase your odds and help you start stacking up blending experience faster.
Some of the best advice you will read in this thread right here. You won't believe what the change half a leaf will make.

Take lots of notes. Date your sticks and pay attention to age if you are going to really pay attention to details but starting out it's hard to let them age to see what the benefits of time truly are.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Holy shit, I just rolled and smoked an incredible dark-wrapped strong cigar, which I think is the holy grail for a lot of the rollers here. And guess what? You can't get half the leaf in it (yet)!
Wrapper: Bonau (got a sample of this from WLT a few months back, but no idea if they're gonna release it).
Binder: Jalapa viso
Fillers: Estelli and Condega lig. Corojo99 (some kind of WLT sample), San Vicente (some kind of WLT sample), Olor seco
@Marc L, Do you have any updates on that San Vicente and Bonau, and that other interesting one, Rene?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah I've been waiting impatiently for that Bonau to arrive, and the Rene is even better. One of us ought to bug Don and see if he's got an ETA.

====================

I sent him an email

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I asked:
"Several of us were talking up the Bonau and Rene samples you sent out late last year. Any accurate ETA as to their arrival in your catalog?"

He replied:
"I've got an order in the DR ready to ship and was able to add a bale of Rene seco and San Vicente ligero to the order. It should be here late next week or early the week after...depending on the weather."

Amazing how often you ask a person one thing and they answer something else. That's cool. I'll take the Rene. Yummers.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I asked:
"Several of us were talking up the Bonau and Rene samples you sent out late last year. Any accurate ETA as to their arrival in your catalog?"

He replied:
"I've got an order in the DR ready to ship and was able to add a bale of Rene seco and San Vicente ligero to the order. It should be here late next week or early the week after...depending on the weather."

Amazing how often you ask a person one thing and they answer something else. That's cool. I'll take the Rene. Yummers.
Even more amazing is how different that answer is from the one he gave me yesterday when I asked him the exact same question in the WLT Cigar Tobaccos forum.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
"We're in the process of doing a complete sales analysis of all of the cigar types. I'll be removing a lot of stuff that doesn't sell and replacing it with new types in the next several month."

I guess he was just a bit more forthcoming in his response to you.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Got an update from Don on the Rene ETA:

It passed Dominican export customs, was inspected by the airfreight company, flew into Miami where US customs and homeland security inspected it. It was then quoted and accepted by YRC Carriers for transport from Miami to Akron. Got to Akron and some social justice warrior decided that it was a tobacco product and called security, ATF, TTB, and the YRC legal department. Now after it's been sitting in a warehouse for three day, the freight broker's legal team got the cargo released to be shipped back to Miami.
So. Still no ETA, but at least I know that some petty bureaucrat in Akron is willing to save me from myself. Yay.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Got an update from Don on the Rene ETA:

It passed Dominican export customs, was inspected by the airfreight company, flew into Miami where US customs and homeland security inspected it. It was then quoted and accepted by YRC Carriers for transport from Miami to Akron. Got to Akron and some social justice warrior decided that it was a tobacco product and called security, ATF, TTB, and the YRC legal department. Now after it's been sitting in a warehouse for three day, the freight broker's legal team got the cargo released to be shipped back to Miami.
So. Still no ETA, but at least I know that some petty bureaucrat in Akron is willing to save me from myself. Yay.
Well, that sucks. Until now, I thought one cool thing about rolling your own is taking many of the profiteering middlemen out of the chain; but now I realize there's still about thirty dudes getting paid for their "work."

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if Don buys from someone that grows for Davidoff or directly from the Kelner family? The san Vicente leaf he used to have is used by them in most of their cigars. I actually cant think of another company off the top of my head that uses it. Also the bonau is a leaf that the Kelner factory has used in the past and is used on a couple Casdagli (Formely Bespoke) cigars.