What's new

Blending Thread

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I sparked a Wuhan yesterday. I found it had mellowed quite well, six months in stash. I think I'll try tempering it with Pelo de Oro, since that stuff seems to have such a wholesome effect. I'm thinking of a fine fat GoldenHair busto with a Hunduran Cuban seed core. Will know more in a couple of days.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Turns out I either mislaid or chewed up my second pound of Golden Hair. Seems real unlikely; but there you have it... gone. So that test I proposed is nixxed. I'm ruminating what to try w/ that Hondu puzzler now.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Got a pound of Honduras Cuban Seed viso almost two years ago. When I first tried it I definitely wasn’t impressed with it so just tossed it at the bottom of my leaf pile and tried to let it age to see if it would improve. Well time passed and rolled a few sticks with it, simple blend, 70% t13 and 30% Honduras seed and well...not much better with age. Anyone got luck blending something decent wit it? Will let some of the sticks made in my humi for 6 months.... hopefully I might see some-kind of improvement but again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tried this quickie robusto:

1 LO Honduran viso core
3 WLT Dominican volado Pilot Cubano surround
WLT Dominican binder (seed unknown)
FXSS CT shade wrapper

Rolled last night and sparked today. Good and wholesome. The cinnamon and nutmeg Piloto kept the mystery Hondu under nice control. Could possibly stand a richer wrapper or binder; but I wanted the filler to shine thru for this test. 8 out of 10 = good enough to smoke but not yet tweaked enough to stash.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Thanks @blisscigarco for sharing a winning blend! I modified it a little but enjoyed it a lot!
Its 1 corojo ligero and seco, bound in Nicaragua habano seco. I wrapped it in a criollo wrapper. All WLT products.
And I already deleted the pic so you can see it here.
Its the skinnier one...

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The Pelo de Oro test gar is a winner:

1 WLT Pelo de Oro ligero
3 WLT Pelo de Oro viso
WLT Dominican binder
FXSS CT shade wrapper

Gonna sort thru the PdO ligero for the thinnest leaves and stash as many of these as that sort will allow.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
... and here is the same Pelo de Oro blend with a dark wrapper:

1 small thin WLT Pelo de Oro ligero
3 WLT Pelo de Oro seco
a Dom binder
a dark mystery wrapper... there's no label on the bag, but from the odor, texture, and flavor, I'd bet it's Mata Fina.

The dark wrapper completely changes the blend. It becomes thick and moody. Under CT wrap. the P de O aroma shone thru. But with the dark wrap, I feel as though a corona might be more in order; employing just half a ligero and two of the other. A robusto might be too much volume for me.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
... and here is the same Pelo de Oro blend with a dark wrapper:

View attachment 153260

1 small thin WLT Pelo de Oro ligero
3 WLT Pelo de Oro seco
a Dom binder
a dark mystery wrapper... there's no label on the bag, but from the odor, texture, and flavor, I'd bet it's Mata Fina.

The dark wrapper completely changes the blend. It becomes thick and moody. Under CT wrap. the P de O aroma shone thru. But with the dark wrap, I feel as though a corona might be more in order; employing just half a ligero and two of the other. A robusto might be too much volume for me.
When people ask me how much of the flavor of a cigar comes from the wrapper, I say "all of it."

Little harm done if they can't understand hyperbole because it's nearly true.

Reactions: nic
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying @blisscigarco 's Nic Hab-bound corojo blend with different wrappers since I don't have any Corojo Oscuro. First I tried an Ecuador shade, and I really liked it. Then I put on a CV Corojo Seco 2006 to get closer to the original (which was already different because that's the filler seco I used). I was enjoying it a lot, then I took a sip of coffee - good coffee, whole bean I grind every morning - and then took a drag and realized the coffee flavors in the stick tasted like better coffee, heh.

Then I thought of something that might give you a good laugh:

I think I could enjoy just this one blend with a few different wrappers. FOREVER lol

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've been trying @blisscigarco 's Nic Hab-bound corojo blend with different wrappers since I don't have any Corojo Oscuro. First I tried an Ecuador shade, and I really liked it. Then I put on a CV Corojo Seco 2006 to get closer to the original (which was already different because that's the filler seco I used). I was enjoying it a lot, then I took a sip of coffee - good coffee, whole bean I grind every morning - and then took a drag and realized the coffee flavors in the stick tasted like better coffee, heh.

Then I thought of something that might give you a good laugh:

I think I could enjoy just this one blend with a few different wrappers. FOREVER lol
I'm not shocked. Once you find a core filler blend it's just all about switching up wrappers to get a huge variety of sticks that don't suck.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The Sweet Rum
So-called because it's blent to accompany sweet anejo rum.

A core leaf of Piloto Cubano provides sweetness
Surrounded by five thin T-13 viso leaves for aroma and burn
Bound in Esteli wrapper for the chocolate.
Wrapped in FXSS's CT shade for smooth texture and to mellow out the Nicaraguan
Damn good. I will roll a batch of these two a day until the Esteli runs out.

I am conditioning a new wad of FXSS CT shade now to wrap 'em with. Meanwhile, I will need to design a band. Then I'm good to go.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a CT blend I might recommend to @webmost, if he has these leaves in his mega stores to see how it compares to his stock T-13-heavy blends, and see how it works with the FX CT wads:

FX Indo Sumatra wrapper for a binder
2 parts LO PC Volado
1 Part WLT Nica Habano seco
Wrapped in Bobalu CT (in my particular case).

This is a very pleasant medium strength CT blend, one of the better things I came up with in 2020.

Reactions: nic
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a CT blend I might recommend to @webmost, if he has these leaves in his mega stores to see how it compares to his stock T-13-heavy blends, and see how it works with the FX CT wads:

FX Indo Sumatra wrapper for a binder
2 parts LO PC Volado
1 Part WLT Nica Habano seco
Wrapped in Bobalu CT (in my particular case).

This is a very pleasant medium strength CT blend, one of the better things I came up with in 2020.
Thanks. I'll try it, near as I can:

"FX Indo Sumatra wrapper for a binder" have this, of course
"2 parts LO PC Volado" have piloto volado
"1 Part WLT Nica Habano seco" have condega nic hab seco... guessing that's this
"Wrapped in Bobalu CT (in my particular case)." have the FXSS CT shade

Finishing up my series of Sweet Rum gars tomorrow, so I'll be looking for a new blend anyways.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks. I'll try it, near as I can:

"FX Indo Sumatra wrapper for a binder" have this, of course
"2 parts LO PC Volado" have piloto volado
"1 Part WLT Nica Habano seco" have condega nic hab seco... guessing that's this
"Wrapped in Bobalu CT (in my particular case)." have the FXSS CT shade

Finishing up my series of Sweet Rum gars tomorrow, so I'll be looking for a new blend anyways.
Correction: 3 parts volado.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Last of the Sweet Rum series, ROTT:
These bustos are such a snap to roll

Indo binder going in the conditioner right now, to try out Bliss' triple PC volado. Prolly make them coronas, cause he seems to favor that size, so his blend will prolly suit his fave ring gauge.

Merry Christmas to all, and remember whose birthday the winter solstice purports to be. His Golden Rule alone is worth remembrance. Hope your budget stretches through the whole gift list. Going to one grandson's birthday party tonight. Bringing him his request: a bottle of Bombay Sapphire Dry Gin. He turned 21 last December, and has thoroughly enjoyed his majority since. Another grandson is quarantined with the Wuhan. The great-grands are getting most all our Christmas bucks. Tykes love toys. Got the RedHead a new iPad, which she uses all day every day. She got me something which she won't say what it is. Isn't here yet. I only know it cost a couple hundred. I do try to discourage her from blowing money on me, by being gauche on receipt. After all, at our age, we don't need a thing more, do we? Maybe a do-over, if we could get one.

Let's roll.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Last of the Sweet Rum series, ROTT:
View attachment 156497
These bustos are such a snap to roll

Indo binder going in the conditioner right now, to try out Bliss' triple PC volado. Prolly make them coronas, cause he seems to favor that size, so his blend will prolly suit his fave ring gauge.

Merry Christmas to all, and remember whose birthday the winter solstice purports to be. His Golden Rule alone is worth remembrance. Hope your budget stretches through the whole gift list. Going to one grandson's birthday party tonight. Bringing him his request: a bottle of Bombay Sapphire Dry Gin. He turned 21 last December, and has thoroughly enjoyed his majority since. Another grandson is quarantined with the Wuhan. The great-grands are getting most all our Christmas bucks. Tykes love toys. Got the RedHead a new iPad, which she uses all day every day. She got me something which she won't say what it is. Isn't here yet. I only know it cost a couple hundred. I do try to discourage her from blowing money on me, by being gauche on receipt. After all, at our age, we don't need a thing more, do we? Maybe a do-over, if we could get one.

Let's roll.
Nice labels.

You could blow grandson's mind and also bring him a bottle of Monkey 47. Michelle and I are gin hounds, we always have at least eight bottles on the shelf, and I finally blew for a bottle of Monkey on our anniversary in October. It was worth it. For 20 years or so, I might add, Sapphire was our daily house martini gin. Peppery. I'd say Beefeater is our go-to now. Hendrix Orbium is another great gin a 21-year-old might appreciate.

I'm looking forward to hearing what $200 got you, and that you decided to be less gauche on receipt than usual.

As for needing new things, that's why M and I almost always exchange consumables. This beautiful pink Gretsch electric guitar she just got me for my birthday being a rare exception.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm looking forward to hearing what $200 got you, and that you decided to be less gauche on receipt than usual.
Says who? I may graduate from gauche to farouche, 'fore this is over. Still no idea what it is.
I always get her the good stuff. She usually gets me nothing.

Me: "Hey, Babe. I need you to drive me to the train station tomorrow."
Her: "Oh no! What motorcycle did you buy this time?"
Me: "It's a Versys 650LT, down in Winston-Salem. I'm going to ride it back home up the Blue Ridge."
Her: "What in hell do you need another motorcycle for?"
"Me: "I'm going to ride this one across country for my birthday."

That's how I get what I want.
This good soul accepts the fact that I already had balls when she met me.
Not without friction... but anything worth having...

Not a gin guy. More a rye guy. Never heard of the Monkey 47. I'll keep it in mind.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Says who? I may graduate from gauche to farouche, 'fore this is over. Still no idea what it is.
I always get her the good stuff. She usually gets me nothing.

Me: "Hey, Babe. I need you to drive me to the train station tomorrow."
Her: "Oh no! What motorcycle did you buy this time?"
Me: "It's a Versys 650LT, down in Winston-Salem. I'm going to ride it back home up the Blue Ridge."
Her: "What in hell do you need another motorcycle for?"
"Me: "I'm going to ride this one across country for my birthday."

That's how I get what I want.
This good soul accepts the fact that I already had balls when she met me.
Not without friction... but anything worth having...

Not a gin guy. More a rye guy. Never heard of the Monkey 47. I'll keep it in mind.
It's an amazing gin. I discovered it in New Orleans last year. Might be too much for 21 year old taste buds. $100 after sales tax.

I like rye too. Probably more than bourbon.