What's new

Blending Thread

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So I smoked a blend from January to see how it is after a few months. It was 1.5 leaves NHS, 1.5 leaves criollo ligero. Nic binder and EC Seco wrapper.
Came out smooth and nutty. I'm not a big fan of nuts but it was an ok smoke.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
How much had it changed from ROTT? ( or did you not try it?)
It was smoother. When I try this ROTT, I don't like it, but in January I had one from the bottom of my humidor that was a year old and was surprised by its smoothness. So I made a few more to try again. I still didn't like them ROTT but 3 months later and it was alright.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So I'm out of the old corojo seco but still have some corojo viso. Figured I'd try a new blend of Piloto seco, corojo viso, and Piloto ligero. Bound with WLT Dom binder. Smoking this stick that is maybe 13 hours old while drinking a Yuengling traditional lager. They seem to work well together, neither is overpowering the other nor contrasting. The stogie is rather one dimensional and I'm not sure which wrapper would complement it best. As a matter of fact, when I draw on it, it's like there is no flavor at all...totally neutral. Maybe it's because I was in the pool for two hours with the kids...
20180603_134207.jpg

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I'm out of the old corojo seco but still have some corojo viso. Figured I'd try a new blend of Piloto seco, corojo viso, and Piloto ligero. Bound with WLT Dom binder. Smoking this stick that is maybe 13 hours old while drinking a Yuengling traditional lager. They seem to work well together, neither is overpowering the other nor contrasting. The stogie is rather one dimensional and I'm not sure which wrapper would complement it best. As a matter of fact, when I draw on it, it's like there is no flavor at all...totally neutral. Maybe it's because I was in the pool for two hours with the kids...
View attachment 114784
Not sure the pool time has much to do with it because your bev would have also tasted blah. The blend May be beneath your palates radar if you have adapted to fuller bodies or complex profiles. It's like salt... if you are used to a ot of salt and drop to even half of what you are used to you think there's no salt. The profile seems mild. I've not been impressed with the condition of WLT dom bind/wrap lately. None the less... if you have a Cameroon wrapper and a little pa viso might pull that up a bit for you. Add the Cameroon either over or under the dom wrap. :happy::kiss:

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I had a pleasant surprise on a trial blend today. It was rolled in the " @Hopduro Method" of less is more...:)
1 Piloto Cubano Seco
1 T13 viso.
Bound and wrapped in EC Seco wrapper leaf.
The surprise was a smooth anise / black licorice jelly bean flavor that came to the front about half way through. It wafted in and out throughout the rest of the smoke. Seemed I needed it to sit about a minute or minute-and-a-half between puffs to get that. I was drinking a McDonald's ice tea with this, in case that makes a difference (half sweet, half unsweet tea). I'm definitely making more of these.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I had a pleasant surprise on a trial blend today. It was rolled in the " @Hopduro Method" of less is more...:)
1 Piloto Cubano Seco
1 T13 viso.
The surprise was a smooth anise / black licorice jelly bean flavor that came to the front about half way through. It wafted in and out throughout the rest of the smoke. Seemed I needed it to sit about a minute or minute-and-a-half between puffs to get that. I was drinking a McDonald's ice tea with this, in case that makes a difference (half sweet, half unsweet tea). I'm definitely making more of these.
Good experiment!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
1 Piloto Cubano Seco
1 T13 viso.
My earliest big blend successes used on seco, one viso. Usually a Dominican binder (also typically piloto) and some sort of darkish wrapper, like MSA.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of blends to consider. I'd be interested in an evaluation from a higher level for those of you that consider yourself proficient at creating blends. I define proficient as able to sit down with an empty table and produce a new blend that is agreeable with little fiddling about. Do you find yourself turning to a "standard" blend and adjusting it slightly to arrive a t a new blend , or do you work with all components entirely untried/new?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Lots of blends to consider. I'd be interested in an evaluation from a higher level for those of you that consider yourself proficient at creating blends. I define proficient as able to sit down with an empty table and produce a new blend that is agreeable with little fiddling about. Do you find yourself turning to a "standard" blend and adjusting it slightly to arrive a t a new blend , or do you work with all components entirely untried/new?
Usually I make small tweaks to a tried and true blend or with known components. Every now and then I get a wild hair and want to try something new so I go off the beaten path with something entirely different

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So yesterday I had a Padron and really enjoyed it. It was not a fancy one, maybe a corona sized, brown label one. Made me want to roll my own like this. I totally enjoyed it.
Trying to see what I could find out about the brand and possible leaf combos (an impossible task but worth trying anyway, right?), I found mention of habano leaf and being in Esteli. Also interesting was that the company name is Piloto. This leads me to wonder if I blend piloto leaf with Nicaraguan habano leaf, if I'll get anything close. I'll be setting up tonight so I can roll tomorrow night (going back on night shift Monday).

Anyone have any ideas what is in those Padrons?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
While prepping last night, I rolled up a couple quick hitters. 2 leaves Mata Fina with .5 leaf piloto cubano ligero, bound in wlt Dominican binder. No wrapper.
This mornings walking the dog found that simple blend to be a straight up coffee bomb. Once in a while there was some bakers chocolate in there but mostly just coffee. Even the aftertaste is all coffee.
The only thing I've had so far today other than the cigar is ice water so no other influences on the flavors to speak of.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
While prepping last night, I rolled up a couple quick hitters. 2 leaves Mata Fina with .5 leaf piloto cubano ligero, bound in wlt Dominican binder. No wrapper.
This mornings walking the dog found that simple blend to be a straight up coffee bomb. Once in a while there was some bakers chocolate in there but mostly just coffee. Even the aftertaste is all coffee.
The only thing I've had so far today other than the cigar is ice water so no other influences on the flavors to speak of.
Wow! That sounds like it could be the start of something great Jim! Wonder what wrapper would continue to let the coffee dominate, how it would be with a CT wrapper, or some other wrapper to introduce some more chocolate....