What's new

Blending Thread

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
We need a better way to measure out a blend than simply "2 leaves of this and one leaf of that". Here's why:

... and the diff in length and width of these two are eclipsed by the diff in thickness of them. The Esteli below is at very most a third as coarse as the Vuelta above.

I don't know what the measure would be. Consider: 1) Those of us not in the recreational drug business do not own scales accurate enough to do the job. My postage scale will not even register one Esteli. 2) When bunching this Esteli, you have small notion beforehand how many you will use. You just keep on adding until if feels right. 3) Esteli from LO is a good deal damper than a typical filler leaf from WLT. Just like the grocer watering his lettuce, or the butcher placing wet diapers between the pork chop and the styrofoam, LO sells a lot of water as makeweight. 4) Look how much stem I will remove from the one, and not the other.

Just an idle thot. Do not have the answer.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We need a better way to measure out a blend than simply "2 leaves of this and one leaf of that". Here's why:

... and the diff in length and width of these two are eclipsed by the diff in thickness of them. The Esteli below is at very most a third as coarse as the Vuelta above.

I don't know what the measure would be. Consider: 1) Those of us not in the recreational drug business do not own scales accurate enough to do the job. My postage scale will not even register one Esteli. 2) When bunching this Esteli, you have small notion beforehand how many you will use. You just keep on adding until if feels right. 3) Esteli from LO is a good deal damper than a typical filler leaf from WLT. Just like the grocer watering his lettuce, or the butcher placing wet diapers between the pork chop and the styrofoam, LO sells a lot of water as makeweight. 4) Look how much stem I will remove from the one, and not the other.

Just an idle thot. Do not have the answer.
Not sure how necessary it is, because the leafs in question are the size they are. If I say "1 leaf WLT T-13," "2 leaves LO Olor seco," that particular leaf is basically the same size in every bag. Same goes for every other leaf. There isn't enough variance within a particular leaf that someone's gonna tear off a fine shred of it to make it weight a certain amount of 1/10s of a gram.

YvanheTerrible

Yvan The Terrible
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

... and the diff in length and width of these two are eclipsed by the diff in thickness of them. The Esteli below is at very most a third as coarse as the Vuelta above. Just an idle thot. Do not have the answer.
Weight and ratios are the only options for consistent blending imo. All professional chefs, bakers, tobacco blenders have to use them as a starting point. Volume and sizes will never give constant outcome. As it was pointed out to me in another tread, home rollers like home cooks do not need to achieve a perfectly constant outcome but to keep a general blend true to what you like overtime it is the best choice. There are other factors as you mentioned that will affect the final outcome (humidity, fermentation and so on), it really all depends on what level you need.

I do not think that you need a drug dealer’s scale either, why not just use the combined weight of 10 cigars if your scale is less precise (this is what my mold holds). I like things simple so if my blend is 2,4,4 (2 part ligero , 4parts seco and 4 part viso), I roll 10 grams smokes, so I will need for 10 smokes, 200 grams of ligero, 400 grams of seco and so on... I use grams since it’s a no brainer if you can divide or multiply by ten but it will work with ounces, 7 ounces of ligero, 14 ounces of seco... and so on. A digital kitchen scale on Amazon will only set you back $11 to $12.

Now the problem for me only starts after that, what maths can’t do, make a contant bunch lol, art and science I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I figured out that 20 fluid ounces of total filler makes 50 robustos (or alike) so, I took a half sheet pan, put a wooden spoon under it in the middle, took two plates and, set them on ether side evenly, set a plastic jug with 20 oz of water on one side, on the other side goes all the different filler leaves. Works every time. Perfect draw and, perfect burn. .. given my bunching skill is on.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you watch professional chefs they almost never make precise measurements. They toss ingredients into a bowl, mix it together, then taste it and adjust to achieve the desired result. I believe its the same with cigars. I know I often put aside a shredded or incomplete filler leaf, to use as supplemental filler for a leaf that's smaller, or a doll that has a soft spot.

YvanheTerrible

Yvan The Terrible
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in my spare time when not rolling I’ve decided to build a blending app. The leaf info screen was quite easy

But still working on the math side. Since it’s easier to try the math on a spreadsheet first I came out with this, I will try to convert all ratio to percentages then work the weight and amount of leaves needed.

Have included a link, not sure if it will work on Tapatalk.

Please feel free to give me some feedback.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well in my spare time when not rolling I’ve decided to build a blending app. The leaf info screen was quite easy

But still working on the math side. Since it’s easier to try the math on a spreadsheet first I came out with this, I will try to convert all ratio to percentages then work the weight and amount of leaves needed.

That is diabolically cool! You're the first person I know of besides me who's created any kind of blending app. Looks brilliant.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Have you ever been to one of the Davidoff blending classes and/or are you familiar with their principles?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harbor freight has a digital scale that will do the job for around $9 bucks.Very accurate, easy to use. My question is... does it have to be that precise? The amount of wrapper and binder generally stay the same so you're talking about the filler blend variation. If the filler was to vary a little either way by a few grams I doubt most people could ever tell a difference in flavor.

I let my fingers do the rolling to produce consistency in the tightness of the cigar. However, I don't use a mold and free form the cigar. This gives me a perfect cigar every time with no worries about the draw. They do vary slightly in size. So what? If the tobacco must be fitted into a mold of a given size then the amount of tobacco being pressed becomes more critical and will produce varying results. Perhaps a scale could be useful for the conformity needed to produce perfect results. I would think not only the weight need be considered but the bulk of the leaf would also come into play and cause problems especially when you have to stuff the tobacco into a given space.

My two cents. :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y'all are getting to deep man. I was told there would be no math.

How many scales do you see in cigar factories?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Y'all are getting to deep man. I was told there would be no math.

How many scales do you see in cigar factories?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I reckon this is a rhetorical q, but the situation is--as you probably know--that there's a dude (often called the blender) who weighs out the exact amount of leaf each buncher needs to bunch an exact quota of cigars for the session with the blend that he/she is to use during that session. Each buncher gets that exact quantity, with which he must produce the exact number of sticks. It's typically 50 sticks of leaf per bundle, and then they get x amount of bundles.