What's new

Blind Reviews Thread

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Thanks again for doing this, Alex.

So are we all getting the same cigar to review?
Good question. I forgot to include that. No, you did not all get the same cigars. There might be some same ones, there might not be :D

Also, the cigars are numbered 1-4. You do NOT have to smoke them in that order. Smoke whatever you feel like, in any order you feel like. It's just for identification purposes.

Last edited:

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Can't wait! I love doing real honest reviews and will be happy to contribute cigars for the cause. I'm always curious as to how different people "review" different cigars especially when it is a blind review. At least once a week I make my normal smoking buddy smoke an unbanded cigar. He's been very surprised most of the time when he finds out what he's smoking. It's changed his opinion on a few cigars.

Thanks again mwLabel!
The last sentence is where I want to be. Too often I reach for what I know from experience or what is considered 'popular'. Every time I reach for a new cigar that I got in a PIF or a random bomb that I've never had, I cringe because I don't want to be disappointed. I fear it. Sounds crazy, but I am weird that way. That being said, I've tried a few that aren't mainstream that I liked a lot thanks to PIFs and bombs from some of the great brothers on here. If its blind, there are no preconceived notions going into it. I'm all pumped up for this. Thanks again Alex.

KK33

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Showed up today. A4 has some notable foot & slight wrapper damage, but it shouldn't affect how it smokes (I hope). Thanks, Alex. I'll burn one of them in a few days.

Last edited:

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Sorry Kev, hope it doesn't ruin the experience! I tried to be as delicate as I could when removing bands, but might have knicked a couple. Not sure what happened before and what happened during transit.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Sorry Kev, hope it doesn't ruin the experience! I tried to be as delicate as I could when removing bands, but might have knicked a couple. Not sure what happened before and what happened during transit.
Not your fault, bro. USPS beat the box up pretty good. I'm sure it'll smoke fine.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Just burned A3 while driving around doing errands. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Corona sized cigar with a toothy light maduro wrapper. Light pepper, earth, light leather, spice. Fabulous retrohale. Medium in body & strength. Burned & drew like a champ all the way down to the finger burning nub. Reminded me of a Tat La Ricky or at least something out of the My Father factory with a CBL wrapper (I think).

I'm always on the lookout for smaller vitola cigars that aren't too strong to smoke on an empty stomach before I get lunch at work & this one will be added to my regular rotation when I find out what it is. Really good cigar.

Last edited:

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Unless you switched bands, I'm assuming you meant A3 ;)

A3 was the 601 Green corona. Can be had for $65.45/box of 20 at Famous, using their sponsor coupon ($3.27/stick).

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Unless you switched bands, I'm assuming you meant A3 ;)

A3 was the 601 Green corona. Can be had for $65.45/box of 20 at Famous, using their sponsor coupon ($3.27/stick).

Yes. Sorry - I edited my original post. Glad to hear I wasn't too off base with it being made by Pepin. Never had a green label 601 before this either (only Red & Blue's). Always stayed away thinking they were gonna be too strong & that was a bad assumption. Really enjoyable cigar that I know aren't very expensive at all. Great choice for this, Alex.

Last edited:

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Just burned A1. Robusto sized cigar with what looks like a CT wrapper. Good construction. Burn & draw were perfect. Opened up with hay, grass, cedar & light pepper. Mild/medium in body & strength. Pretty sure this is either a regular AVO or Griffins. Love the light, crisp profile on these with hay/grass/cedar flavors. So smooth on the retrohale too. Got a tad bitter in the last third, but overall it's another cigar that I'd smoke all the time as long as the price is right.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
A1 was an Ave Maria. IIRC, it's blended by AJ Fernandez with a Habano wrapper. I'd need to double check though.

Thanks for the review and nice pics, Kev!

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
A1 was an Ave Maria. IIRC, it's blended by AJ Fernandez with a Habano wrapper. I'd need to double check though.

Thanks for the review and nice pics, Kev!
Never had one of those before this one then. Solid cigar that I'm pretty sure are reasonably priced too. Really reminded me of a regular line AVO/Griffins.