What's new

Blind Reviews Thread

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have heard great things about those. Maybe my pallet is burnt out from the herf. Lol. I didn't get a ton from it. Seems like a great morning stick with coffee though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
I received review sticks from problemsolverjc yesterday:

I must say, I'm a little intrigued. The box opened to a smell that reminded me of mint chocolate.
My first thought was that there was a Drew Java Mint in there, but there aren't any infused gars, right?
Regardless, I'm excited to jump in and hopefully can get one of these done this weekend!
Thanks again, Jim, for keeping this going!
Any further regarding posts will be in the review thread he started: Problemsolverjc's Blind Review Thread

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Once I meet the criteria I'm game!
Good bump, would be interesting to see this regain steam or a new one start if anybody is interested I'm cooRdinating(solo or together)
I just started doing blind reviews (asking for unbanded's in my MAWs and NHIHBs) I just finished another one tonight. I didn't post in here because after reading the intro, I thought this was only for specific people.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Good bump, would be interesting to see this regain steam or a new one start if anybody is interested I'm cooRdinating(solo or together)
I just started doing blind reviews (asking for unbanded's in my MAWs and NHIHBs) I just finished another one tonight. I didn't post in here because after reading the intro, I thought this was only for specific people.
I think Alex intended for it to keep going considering the request for sponsors to keep evolving it. Unless I'm wrong, hence saying we could start a new one

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I totally forgot to slip a blind in your box 😖😖. Doesn't mean one won't show up though... 😜

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0

I totally forgot to slip a blind in your box ����. Doesn't mean one won't show up though... ��
Don't sass me boy...

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
I think Alex intended for it to keep going considering the request for sponsors to keep evolving it. Unless I'm wrong, hence saying we could start a new one
Well, I'll start posting in here until I'm told otherwise.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I'm in as well. On another site there's a blind review thread in which a person sends 3 unbanded cigars -- a yard gar, a midrange and a premium. The idea is to guess which is which, and that puts a fun spin on it. The rough guidelines are less than $5, between $5 and $10, and more than $10. You add 2 more sticks with the bands on to make a nice 5er. We could try that here or just do it as before...either way I'll play.

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I'm interested. I don't meet the six month criteria, but I'd be in if that were a possibility. I have difficulty picking out specific flavors and I believe something like this would help me develop my palate.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Ryan, all you gotta do is put up the offer and set the number of slots you want to fill. That's it. Once you have your volunteers, send out the cigars and wait for the reviews.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I had a lot of fun (and learned a lot) doing this last fall, and can totally see doing it again once I get settled a bit more in life. Would totally recommend the experience to anyone! Only trouble you'll have is chasing after people to complete their reviews. *guilty*

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
09/07/14
1:15am

Blind Review #3
Courtesy of: Joe45

Expected Vitola: 5-3/4x46

Pre-light Aroma: Sweet red wine, earth, barnyard

Wrapper and Construction: Triple cap. Bakers Chocolate, smooth, a few prominent veins and modest consistency throughout. (Some soft and hard spots are vaguely noticed)

Cold Draw: (V-Cut) Sweet tobacco and hay. The draw seems to have a nice resistance and should smoke well.

Post burn: pleasant aroma, nothing note worthy. The draw is perfect with good smoke production; nothing much off the foot. Wavy but even initial burn line. A little harshness makes for a cautious approach to the retro hale. The smoke starts out medium body and mild strength. There's an oily mouthfeel left after each puff. Woody, earthy, slightly sweet with a touch of smokiness. The ash parts way around the inch mark. Working through the first third brings some gains in the strength of the cigar and body of the smoke. A hint of pepper is mixed in with the light harshness on the finish. The strength is moving towards full as I'm working towards the second third. Cool smoke and even burn throughout. (Side note: The Fugitive just came on TV... SCORE!)

The second third has transitioned nicely. Cream and clove have showed up for some action and the cigar is staying full strength. The finish is spicy but still a harshness present. The wood and smoke have fallen back but the sweetness hangs with newly developing cream and clove. The spicy RH (retro hale) sweet cream and earth work well in the middle of this full strength cigar. The only thing taking away from it's full enjoyment is the harsh presence on the finish.

Into the final third, I've resorted to smaller puffs to counter the harsh finish, which is working well. Sweet cream, clove and earth still remain the compilation of this track. There's plenty of smoke and copious amounts of strength to go around. Even the small puffs produce a chewy amount of smoke. I prefer this to a cigar that you have to fight for your peasants share. The finish is a peppery blast and the strength sends tingles through the body. Take it easy on this smoke if you are N sensitive but if you're looking for some strength this is it...warming the belly to boot. Cinnamon is present coming into the finish. Again I'm giggling at the strength, a bit of palm sweating going on. The smoke is still cool and burn nice and straight. Cloves, cinnamon, sweet cream, earth; oily, spicy and a perry finish.

Final Thoughts: This smoke comes in like a lamb and out like a lion. The strength picks up into the second third and never gives up. The flavors really start to transition in the final third along with a building of body from medium to full. The spice and pepper really kick in the finish. A sweet, creamy clove builds on the initial Wood, smoke and earth. This is a solid smoke and would be great after a big meal while watching some Sunday Night Football.

Burn Time: 1hr 15min

Scoring:

Overall Appearance and Presentation: 17/20
Lighting and Burning Properties: 14/15
Construction Properties: 29/30
Taste Properties: 28/35

Total: 88/100

REVEALED AS..........MY FATHER LE BIJOU 1922

*I use a cigar rating sheet found online and while the taste might be a delight and definitely worth smoking, the overall score takes more than that into consideration. I refer you to the actual review to get a feel for what I think about the flavors and enjoyability of the cigar.

**These one off blind reviews are for a snap shot of this cigar; a fun way to share with you my initial impression of a smoke I know nothing about and (possibly) have never tried before. This review, in no way reflects a professional opinion. That would require more stringent guidelines and the smoking of more than one cigar per review. Although I will always try to be as professional and thorough as possible.