What's new

Books: What are the Brothers reading?

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Awesome thread! Love to read and smoke, extremely relaxing. Read Game of Thrones....didn't realize till book 5 that the rest hasn't been published! Still good read though. Just got done Maze Runner trilogy, was pretty good. Always looking for something new so I'll be checking out some of the titles mentioned that I haven't read yet.

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrel is currently on the nightstand.

Last year I went through a period where I read a lot of Thomas Sowell's stuff. Basic Economics: A Common Sense Guide to the Economy, Economic Facts and Fallacies, Intellectuals and Society, and The Vision of the Anointed: Self-Congratulation As a Basis for Social Policy were all good reads in my opinion. I also enjoyed reading Jung's The Undiscovered Self.

For good old escapist fiction I read through Larry Coriea's Monster Hunter International series. I also picked my way through a bit of old Raymond Chandler and some Stephen Hunter. I tried to work my way through some other stuff. I just find a lot of modern fiction to be too preachy or terribly written. A lot of it seems like it was written for tenth graders or written by failed MFA students.
I haven't read Lone Survivor but the book Horse Soldiers is an amazing recount of the Special Forces group that went into Afghanistan in 2001 to help the Northern Alliance fight the Taliban. This was before there was an all out war that lasted....well...still going on now. Really good read.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I haven't read Lone Survivor but the book Horse Soldiers is an amazing recount of the Special Forces group that went into Afghanistan in 2001 to help the Northern Alliance fight the Taliban. This was before there was an all out war that lasted....well...still going on now. Really good read.
Horse Soldiers was awesome! A couple other good books about the recent wars:

The unforgiving minute
Joker One
They Fought For Each Other

All were great.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I do not read much, but currently, I've been re-reading, and in fact, trying to read every Bukowski publication he has ever made. Currently revisiting Factotum.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently reading "Roadside Picnic" - classic Soviet science fiction, which inspired the Stalker video game series.
http://www.amazon.com/Roadside-Picnic-Rediscovered-Classics-Strugatsky/dp/1613743416/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427950127&sr=8-1&keywords=roadside+picnic

I was slowly reading George RR Martin's "Dreamsongs: Volume I" - a collection of short stories written before Game of Thrones. I've read about half of it and have decided to take a break.
http://www.amazon.com/Dreamsongs-I-George-R-R-Martin/dp/0553385682/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427950327&sr=8-1&keywords=dreamsongs+volume+1

I've read all of the A Song of Ice and Fire (game of thrones) series up until Dance With Dragons, however I just cant bring myself to finish it, especially with the TV series set to overtake the books.

Rating - 100%
129   0   0
If you liked Horse Soliders, you will definitely like The Lone Survivor. I enjoyed both of them. I haven't read anything in awhile, but do enjoy books along the lines of the two mentioned above. I would be in for the book pass. I have quite a few leadership books (John C Maxwelll), and the like. It's been awhile, but would like to read something new.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Currently reading: Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail, '72.

some favorites:
Great Gatsby (best book of all time), F. Scott Fitzgerald
I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell, Tucker Max
Night Shift, Stephen King
Economix, Bill Burr & Michael Goodwin
Me Talk Pretty One Day, David Sedaris
Lone Survivor, Marcus Luttrel
lots of Hemingway
Common Sense and Other Writings, Thomas Payne
Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Robert Louis Stevenson
The Art of War, Sun Tzu
Welcome to the Monkey House, Kurt Vonnegut
Marine Sniper, forget the author... it's about Carlos Hathcock in Vietnam
to David Sedaris (Thedaris)... That is one hilarious guy! And to No Country For Old Men.
Currently reading Ivan's War by Catherine Merridale and A Wrestling Life by Dan Gable (imo the greatest competitor this world has ever seen).

Up next: A Tough Trip Through Paradise by Andrew Garcia (pretty sure that is correct author's name).

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Leaders eat Last. Good book on Leadership.
If you're a fan of the leadership/self-improvement books, I gotta recommend "The Way of the Shepherd" by Kevin Leman & William Pentak. It is a very short and unassuming book, but it blew me away when I read it. It's one of the few non-fiction books that I couldn't put down (cliché book saying).