What's new

Books: What are the Brothers reading?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My first two were born 13 months apart! I totally know how you feel right now. Of course, we then waited three years, had a third, and then had #4 and #5 17 months later!

So my reading time has been limited for the past few years, but a few books I've really enjoyed:

Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand
Bonhoeffer, by Eric Mataxas
Reason for the Hope Within, by Tim Keller
The Man Who Was Thursday, by GK Chesterton
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, by Susanna Clarke
When We Were Orphans, by Kazuo Ishiguru

EDIT: Also really, really liked No Country for Old Men, by Cormac McCarthy.
Holy crap, dude! Kids are a blessing and without doubt they are/will be the best thing I ever do, but what nobody tells new parents is how much their lives are going to suck. We have no personal time with two…five sounds scary!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Just finished Stop The Coming Civil War by Michael Savage. Very eye opening.
If you think our present POTUS and this admin is effing us up...well, you would be correct! JMHO.
Just started The Song Of Fire and Ice, or better known as Game of Thrones.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I have a few books on the go right now. The funniest thing was the other night when I told my wife that I had, at least, opened Getting Things Done by David Allen. LOL

Currently reading:
  • Getting Things Done (David Allen)
  • Siddhartha (Hermann Hesse)
  • Bubishi: The Classic Manual of Combat (Patrick McCarthy)
  • Bushido, the Soul of Japan (Inazo Nitobe)

Recently Read:
  • The Book of Five Rings (Miyamoto Musashi)
  • Buddha in Blue Jeans (Tai Sheridan)
  • The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression (Bruce Barnbaum)

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I just finished the book I listed earlier and am about to begin The Outpost, An Untold Story of American Valor by Jake Tapper.
My Dad really liked this book and gave it to me over the weekend. It's been some time since I read a military book, looking forward to it.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I just finished the book I listed earlier and am about to begin The Outpost, An Untold Story of American Valor by Jake Tapper.
My Dad really liked this book and gave it to me over the weekend. It's been some time since I read a military book, looking forward to it.
I really enjoyed it. A tad slow in the middle, but overall really good.

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I finished The Outpost a few months ago. It was very well written and is highly recommended.
I'm now well into In the Garden of Beasts, by Erik Larson. It's historical fiction about the American ambassador in 1933 Germany and the experience of living in the beginnings of Nazi Germany. So far it's very interesting.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Forgive Us: Confessions of a Compromised Faith.

Many people have become angry and frustrated with organized religion and evangelical Christianity, in particular. Too often the church has proven to be a source of pain rather than a place of hope. Forgive Us acknowledges the legitimacy of much of the anger toward the church. In truth, Christianity in America has significant brokenness in its history that demands recognition and repentance. Only by this path can the church move forward with its message of forgiveness, reconciliation, and peace.

Forgive Us is thus a call to confession. From Psalm 51 to the teachings of Jesus to the prayers of Nehemiah, confession is the proper biblical response when God’s people have injured others and turned their backs on God’s ways. In the book of Nehemiah, the author confesses not only his own sins, but also the sins of his ancestors. The history of the American church demands a Nehemiah-style confession both for our deeds and the deeds of those who came before us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I just finished The Bubishi - the Classic Manual of Combat. Mostly historical, it took a while to really get into but, once I hit past the introduction, it was a solid read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I've been reading a lot of Blake Crouch lately. He wrote the Wayward Pines Series.
I just finished Desert Places and Run in the last couple of weeks by him.
Just started The Martian yesterday (haven't seen the movie yet)

My two favorite books of all time are Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank and The Long Walk by Stephen King.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I haven't been able to finish a book in a while. For some reason I just can't keep my concentration running past about 100 pages.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Currently reading Richard Carlton Hacker's Ultimate Cigar Book (surprise surprise) But I have the following queued up next
  • Lone Survivor
  • Horse Soldiers
  • Hogs in the Shadows: Marine Snipers in Action
  • The Reaper
It seems my taste in Military books is not an uncommon theme amongst the brothers here.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Currently reading Richard Carlton Hacker's Ultimate Cigar Book (surprise surprise) But I have the following queued up next
  • Lone Survivor
  • Horse Soldiers
  • Hogs in the Shadows: Marine Snipers in Action
  • The Reaper
It seems my taste in Military books is not an uncommon theme amongst the brothers here.
This is an older thread on the subject of books being read. Here is a more current one you might be more interested in:
http://www.botl.org/threads/what-are-you-reading.87383/