What's new

BOTL Pipe Newbie Sampler Thread

Pennywise827

Hot Ketchup
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
@Grrrrr609 has graciously allowed me to help in moderating this thread. With all the new interest in the newbie pipe sampler I’m hoping to help facilitate trades so that the noobs really get hooked lol!

I am going to go back and see who has been on here recently as a sponsor and as noobs arrive I may call on you to take them on. Please do not hesitate to decline if you are not in a place to participate when called upon!

With that being said I’m gonna go order some Cobs!

Sent from Area 51 using telepathy
First, thank you for stepping up Preach. Second, please go back and make sure everyone else is handled...I bought a few ounces as my local B&M today. I can wait a bit sir.

akpreacherplayz

The Preacher
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
I’ve been curious about pipe smoking for some time now though I’ve not seen a reasonably easy way to give it a try. I saw this post and thought it was a great thing you pipers are doing. If someone would be willing to help me out, I’d trade some cigars for a basic pipe setup.
Hey @ak2000 I just spoke with @Juice and he said he was a bit pipe curious! Do you wanna help him out?

Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Sounds like it’s on like Donkey Kong! @Juice please pm this fine gentleman and coordinate getting your end of the trade underway!

Sure thing. Thanks for putting the time into the thread @akpreacherplayz double to the sponsors who are stepping up to help pipe noobs like myself get into it and triple to @ak2000 for agreeing to pick up my ass.

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Hey @Xavier Dredo are you interested in taking on this noob?

Sure, I have more tobacco than I can smoke in a lifetime. I have Wes’s address and will get a package in the mail soon. No need to send me anything, I also have more cigars than I have storage for!

Pennywise827

Hot Ketchup
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Sure, I have more tobacco than I can smoke in a lifetime. I have Wes’s address and will get a package in the mail soon. No need to send me anything, I also have more cigars than I have storage for!
Damnit man!

Well I have a pipe, I have a tamp tool, and I have 2-1oz tabaccys to hold me over. You know I cant go for a charity bomb...not how this works.

You can either PM me what your interested in, or I'll use my imagination.

P.S.....got your addy too.

Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Piping package on the way to @Juice :D
Holy crapballs man!!!55AFF0CB-FF24-4239-B1C5-419FBE3F2390.jpeg
I haven’t felt this uninformed for quite some time. You’ve given me quite a bit to learn and to try. It will take me months to get a good handle on all these blends. With winter on its way this plethora of baccy to explore will keep me smokin happy through a season I normally take off. Thank you for the huge spread and I apologize in advance for the soon to come dumb noob posts in the pipe forum.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Holy crapballs man!!!View attachment 124485
I haven’t felt this uninformed for quite some time. You’ve given me quite a bit to learn and to try. It will take me months to get a good handle on all these blends. With winter on its way this plethora of baccy to explore will keep me smokin happy through a season I normally take off. Thank you for the huge spread and I apologize in advance for the soon to come dumb noob posts in the pipe forum.
I hope that you enjoy the samples. Just in case you haven't already, take a look at this

https://www.smokingpipes.com/information/howto/packing.cfm

Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I hope that you enjoy the samples. Just in case you haven't already, take a look at this

https://www.smokingpipes.com/information/howto/packing.cfm
I’ve come across that one in my search for basic information. Thank you for the pointer. On the question of where to start though.... Being a cigar smoker for years I’m not intimidated by full bodied tobaccos though I do have to really be in the mood to enjoy Smokey flavors. I keep a tin of lapsang souchong on my tea shelf but don’t reach for it too often. Can you recommend a couple options that stay away from the wood fired Smokey flavor but you think would be a good starting point?

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I’ve come across that one in my search for basic information. Thank you for the pointer. On the question of where to start though.... Being a cigar smoker for years I’m not intimidated by full bodied tobaccos though I do have to really be in the mood to enjoy Smokey flavors. I keep a tin of lapsang souchong on my tea shelf but don’t reach for it too often. Can you recommend a couple options that stay away from the wood fired Smokey flavor but you think would be a good starting point?
The heavy smokey flavor is from a type of tobacco called Latakia. I don't smoke a lot of Latakia heavy blends, which are in the English category. The only ones I sent that are Latakia forward are Byzantium and Potlatch. Pegasus has Latakia in it, but way in the background. Pegasus is one of my favorite tobaccos. The Stokkebyes, Old Dark Fired, and Crossroads would probably be a good starting point.

Last edited:

Pennywise827

Hot Ketchup
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
This was shipped today @Pennywise827

I can't even fathom the depths of hell you unleashed on my doorstep.
I had a heavy mail day...Xaviers sampler isnthe bottom box.
20181103_140515.jpg

More on the other large package will be posted in the appropriate area.

So I open it to find a letter and 3 large rolled up paper bags. WTF.
20181103_141329.jpg

21 different blends of tobacco and I know nothing of any of them. I mean, I gotta go google how to even smoke em!

On top of that 3 pipes, and two of which look expensive and totally undeserved. I am humbled truly. I am rarely at a loss, but this one had me saying "oh my god!" And "hes a fuckin lunatic!" repeatedly as I unpacked this box like a 12 year old at Christmas. Ill be needing to ask some advice too.

For instance on the rope style...how do I prep that? Do I cut up the discs...? And how does the stem come off the pipe on the left?

Thank you again Shawn!