What's new

BOTL Weight Loss Thread

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Well here's my update:
5/8/16 268 lbs 5 weeks/ 6 lb avg (1500 calorie)
5/15/16 268.8 1 week/ gained .8 lbs (sick but avg. 2100 calories)
5/22/16 264.6 weekly loss 4.2 lbs
Total Weight loss to date: 52.4 lbs.

Another good week, Memorial Day weekend coming up usually do a really big BBQ. Think i'm just get a taste of the brisket and go for the chicken and shrimp. Anyone got a "healthy" recipe for baked beans?

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Well here's my update:
5/8/16 268 lbs 5 weeks/ 6 lb avg (1500 calorie)
5/15/16 268.8 1 week/ gained .8 lbs (sick but avg. 2100 calories)
5/22/16 264.6 weekly loss 4.2 lbs
Total Weight loss to date: 52.4 lbs.

Another good week, Memorial Day weekend coming up usually do a really big BBQ. Think i'm just get a taste of the brisket and go for the chicken and shrimp. Anyone got a "healthy" recipe for baked beans?
Awesome brother!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if there is a such thing as a healthy recipe for baked beans. My .02 is enjoy the holiday but be conscious of what you eat. If the week doesn't end up where you want to be weight wise, shrug it off and return to your standard routine asap. You had a week where you gained a little and you didn't let it get you down and out. You can do it again. Cheat a little for this weekend and plan to it again on July 4th and stick to your plan in between. Keep on truckin!

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Not the loss I was hoping for this week. I derailed my diet on Saturday with a graduation party. In addition I didn't make time for the gym as I had planned. This week is a new week and I hope to stay more focused this week. Good luck to everyone this week, and I hope you meet your goals.

Starting Weight on 1/1/16: 323.0 Lbs.
Current Weight on 5/2/16: 291.2 Lbs.
Current Weight on 5/9/16: 285.8 Lbs.
Current Weight on 5/16/16:289.6 Lbs.
Current Weight on 5/23/16: 288.6 Lbs.

Total Weight Loss so Far: 34.4 Lbs.
Total Percentage Weight Loss: 10.6%

So without Further delay here is my Week 4/34 weigh in.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Really like this thread Justin. Think this will help me keep up with diet and workouts. Starting at around 220, trying to get down to 180 by years end. I'll be using a portion control method for eating certain number of food groups. I'll be doing a resistance band workout Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. And a cardio workout every morning. The wife and I are also going to attempt to stick to 2 bike rides a week. The plan once I am semi back in shape I'll switch to some extreme cardio exercise (p90x, insanity, beast body...ect) for a daily exercise.

So to start:
weight - 218
Target - 180
5/23/16 - 218

So far so good day 1. Resistance band workout and then a 5 mile dog walk for some cardio. Hopefully a bike ride later.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I don't know if there is a such thing as a healthy recipe for baked beans. My .02 is enjoy the holiday but be conscious of what you eat. If the week doesn't end up where you want to be weight wise, shrug it off and return to your standard routine asap. You had a week where you gained a little and you didn't let it get you down and out. You can do it again. Cheat a little for this weekend and plan to it again on July 4th and stick to your plan in between. Keep on truckin!
Yeah just going to focus on portion control, plus I plan increase my walking time to burn the extra calories. Just don't want to derail my progress.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If it were me I'd eat the baked beans and balance out the rest of your meals that day. If I can eat 2 Big Macs on penny Big Mac day and still hit all my macros/cal intake then I know it can be done. Cut back on the other carb sources like beer, corn, potatoes, etc and you'll stay on point. The chicken and shrimp definitely won't throw anything off and don't be afraid to enjoy some brisket just be reasonable.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
If it were me I'd eat the baked beans and balance out the rest of your meals that day. If I can eat 2 Big Macs on penny Big Mac day and still hit all my macros/cal intake then I know it can be done. Cut back on the other carb sources like beer, corn, potatoes, etc and you'll stay on point. The chicken and shrimp definitely won't throw anything off and don't be afraid to enjoy some brisket just be reasonable.
Yeah every time I've started a diet I have the bad habit of focusing to hard on hitting the numbers rather than focusing on the big picture. Got to learn to Focus on the big picture and not let one day indulgence seem like the end of the world. Huge thanks to you Justin for starting this thread, helps me from freaking out about the small things.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I grew up playing sports and was raised to eat pretty well but somewhere along the line I let my personal habits go to hell. Beer and wings became a regular staple along side chicken alfredo dinners and foods alike each time I got hungry. I wasn't eating enough and when I did I ate like shit, a problem too many people have and don't realize. After going full dad bod and getting some ribbing from a great friend of mine, who's always been a big guy, I realized how disappointed my former self would be with how I let things get. So I decided to do something about it. A friend of mines room mate had a bare bones bench/squat rack set he was trying to get rid of for like $150 and I took him up on it. Its easily been one of the best investments Ive made in my life.
I lurked a bunch of bodybuilding and fitness forums reading all the references I could on nutrition, lifting, and supplements. Around that time I got the Myfitnesspal app and learned how to follow a macro split/manage daily caloric intake. It made me really look at my food and taught me how to get the most out of my calories instead of sparingly eating garbage as I had been. I learned to look at it like doing a puzzle moving stuff around and changing things until it lines up right. Pretty soon it just became routine. Coupled with a solid lifting routine I lost about 20% of my body weight and put on some solid lean mass. I began to appreciate the so called "art" of bodybuilding as I saw the results and changes I could create in myself. It took time and dedication but staying consistent long term paid off in helping me meet my goals. These days I'm finally to the point where I can bulk and cut and I'm excited to be trimming back up for summer after eating well this winter. Since this post is already lengthy I'll go over my diet/routine in more detail in another post but heres my "transformation."

Me in late '13(I know crappy pic)....

Me today.....

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Alright so here's a layout of what my diet/leg day looks like right now. I want to note that I was eating more carbs but I'm pulling back on them to lose water weight. Carbs are far from the devil they get painted out to be they just need to be respected in the context of your goals. Generally around 30% of your daily intake is good though.

Cal - 2190
Macro - 40p/35f/25c my main focus here is 1-1.5g protein and .3-.7g fat per lb of body weight. The split doesn't have to be perfect but it should be close and those numbers need to be met.

Breakfast - 8oz Greek yogurt + 1 serving Almond clusters(ocean spray)

Lunch - 2 hard boiled eggs, 1/2oz macadamia nuts, 1oz honey roasted cashews

Dinner - 8oz ground turkey, 1 cup cooked brown rice, 1 medium avacado

Snacks - 2 protein shakes, 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil(for cooking turkey), 1/2 tbsp macadamia nut oil(for rice)

Leg day - a simple take on Wendlers 531. Everything is based off a % of your one rep max. I only do 2 leg exercises and if your working hard it's all you need. Front squats and back squats with the final sets being drop sets. Here's the layout for this week...

5x 65%, 5x 75%, 5x85%

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Had a good week last week and was able to make good decisions this holiday weekend. Results showed on the scale. Looking forward to another good week.

Current Weight on 5/16/16: 289.6 Lbs.
Current Weight on 5/30/16: 284.8 Lbs.

Total Weight Loss so Far: 38.2 Lbs.
Total Percentage Weight Loss: 11.8%

Goal Weight: 220.0 Lbs.
Goal Date: 12/26/16
Weight to Lose to meet goal: 64.8 Lbs.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Had a good week last week and was able to make good decisions this holiday weekend. Results showed on the scale. Looking forward to another good week.

Current Weight on 5/16/16: 289.6 Lbs.
Current Weight on 5/30/16: 284.8 Lbs.

Total Weight Loss so Far: 38.2 Lbs.
Total Percentage Weight Loss: 11.8%

Goal Weight: 220.0 Lbs.
Goal Date: 12/26/16
Weight to Lose to meet goal: 64.8 Lbs.

Great work man! Keep a close eye on weeks like this they're the ones that really teach you about your body and show you how to dial things in. Do you ever work in any refeeds?

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Great work man! Keep a close eye on weeks like this they're the ones that really teach you about your body and show you how to dial things in. Do you ever work in any refeeds?
Tbh I didn't know what a refeed was I had to google it, lol. I guess in a way I do sometimes because when I cheat it's usually carbs as that is what I'm craving like crazy. Bread, chips, etc. it's funny you say to pay attn to your body and how it responded. my goal is to come home from work with less than 800 calories consumed during the day. This leaves me 1,100 for dinner and snacking, etc for the remainder of the day. This week instead of eating lunch and it being a big meal I only eat 300-400 calories for lunch. Then at about 3:30 or so I eat another small "lunch". This left me feeling full until about 6:30 and then we pushed back our dinner until 7:00. This also cuts down on my snacking as I usually don't feel hungry until it's time to sleep.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Tbh I didn't know what a refeed was I had to google it, lol. I guess in a way I do sometimes because when I cheat it's usually carbs as that is what I'm craving like crazy. Bread, chips, etc. it's funny you say to pay attn to your body and how it responded. my goal is to come home from work with less than 800 calories consumed during the day. This leaves me 1,100 for dinner and snacking, etc for the remainder of the day. This week instead of eating lunch and it being a big meal I only eat 300-400 calories for lunch. Then at about 3:30 or so I eat another small "lunch". This left me feeling full until about 6:30 and then we pushed back our dinner until 7:00. This also cuts down on my snacking as I usually don't feel hungry until it's time to sleep.
Yea most people do them without realizing it but then beat themselves up about it because they see it as cheating. Not really understanding the cravings or looking at the bigger picture of things. I prefer the approach of planning out a good refeed once a month, maybe twice tops, to keep the metabolism up and hormones in line. No binging because its planned ahead of time and I normally keep it fairly clean but it should be enjoyable and rewarding.
Sounds like your really getting into the details, it'll pay off big time. No one knows you like yourself so you gotta make that work in your favor. Keep up the great work your gonna make it before you know it!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Here's my update:
5/22/16 weight 264.6 weekly loss 4.2 lbs
5/29/16 weight 264 weekly loss .6 lbs
6/5/16 weight 259 weekly loss 5 lbs
Total Weight loss to date: 58 lbs.

Yeah for the week of 5/29 weigh in was tough 3 parties that week, a graduation, a promotion, and a long time friend coming to town. Beer and fried foods is what did me in, damn those red lobster biscuits why they have to be sooo delicious, well just decided to up my exercise the next week to help keep me on track.

So for 6/5 i kept my promised to do more exercise dusted off the old bicycle and used that to run quick errands rather than take the car which i think i'm going to start doing more of. Now that it's grilling season can finally try all these grilled fish recipes ive been eyeing

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Coming into the last day of my "hell week" and making solid progress. I realized I never posted my full Wendler template or how I have anything split other than leg day so here it is.

All workouts are based off a percentage of 90% of your 1 rep max so the same routine applies to anyone the numbers just change. I use this progressive overload approach for bench, incline bench, overhead press, squat, and front squat. At the end of each 3/4 week cycle add 5lb to your max and repeat. If you hit a sticking point go back 5lb and work back up again.

Week 1 - 5x 65%, 5x 75%, 5+ 85% Last set go for as many reps as you can and make it a drop set. Gotta get the 5 reps though.
Week 2 - 3x 70%, 3x 80%, 3+ 90% Last set go for as many reps as you can and make it a drop set.
Week 3 - 5x 75%, 3x 85%, 1+ 95% Same as usual. Max reps then burn out with a drop set. This is hell week, this is where gains are made dammit!!
Week 4 - optional deload - 5x 60%, 5x 60%, 5x 60%. The idea here is having some time to fully recover and focus on proper form.

Following this template for my core lifts I run a basic upper/lower split. Leg day doesn't change but my "upper" days are split with one focusing mainly on chest and back and the other more on arms and shoulders. I also do flat one day and incline on the other and both run a lot of supersets. Routine for upper 2....

1. BB Rows/front delt raises/side lat raises - superset - 3 sets of 8 *don't go too heavy on any of these. Focus on contraction and range of motion for rows, the raises are a shoulder warm up before benching.

2. Incline BB bench/wide grip pull-ups - superset - 5x 75%, 3x 85%, 1+ 95% and 3x 8 for pull-ups

3. Incline DB press/DB shrugs/BB curls - superset - 3x 10

4. BB overhead press/reverse DB fly - superset - 5x 75%, 3x 85%, 1+ 95% and 3x 10 for rev. fly

5. Incline DB fly/DB pullover - superset - 3x 10

6. Concentration curls/tricep extension - superset - 3x 10

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Nice post @HIM*. Really good stuff.

This was way longer than I was expecting to contribute, so in case this looks like a tl;dr, here: Pay attention to what you eat, exercise 3-4 times a week, and you'll see results. It really is that simple in the long run. There is no Magic Bullet.

For everyone reading these, you'll find what works for you. There are innumerable combinations of exercises and theories for different goals - overall weight loss, bodybuilding, bodyfat loss w/strength building, etc. Personally, I like aiming for the last one. Getting stronger without bulking up too much while cutting fat.

The weight loss contest thread, coupled with some offline friends' progress and....my bathroom mirror, inspired me to finally get back in the gym after a hiatus that lasted about 2 years. My 30's were catching up to me and, at 5'9", I cracked 200 lbs for the first time in my life. My frame/structure can accommodate a bit more weight than average (which is why BMI is a terrible metric), but I'm happiest at or around 175-180. I'm not as concerned about the number as I am moving weight back up my torso, but in just the last 3-4 months, I've dropped from 204 down to 188.5, and bought my first pair of 32s in ages by doing what's below.

I don't "diet", and the only supplement I take is a Men's One a Day. I don't count calories or anything else. I eat lots of protein, few carbs, little to no processed sugars, and lots of fruits and veggies. That's it. I give myself 1 cheat-day a week for pizza or wings or whatever, and that's more than enough to keep me on track the rest of the time.

I break my weightlifting down into 3 routines, taking a day off in between to focus on cardio. I do abs/obliques every day. It's the one set of muscles that can recover the fastest and won't suffer from being overworked. The bad part is, they take the most reps... Anyway, here's what I do: Legs/Shoulders, Back/Biceps, and Chest/Triceps. The theory behind grouping the last two together being that biceps are the supporting muscles in your back lifts, and triceps are the supporting muscles in your chest lifts.

Unless otherwise noted, all exercises are done in 3 "ramping" sets (adding weight b/tw each) of 10-12 reps. I also spend about 10 mins jogging on the treadmill before to loosen up. Lastly, I use this great, free app for tracking and ideas on mixing routines up a bit: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/workout-gym-routines-tracker/id1048454034?mt=8

LEGS/SHOULDERS
Barbell Squats *Don't skip these* They're the best fat-burner of any lift. You're working the biggest muscles you have.
Leg Press or Barbell Deadlift
DB Lunges or Hamstring Pullback Machine and Leg Extension Machine
DB Shoulder Press - Seated Military
Superset - Cable Rotation Internal/Cable Rotation External
Machine Lat Raise
EZ-Bar Shoulder Highpull or DB Shrugs

BACK/BICEPS
Wide-Grip, Behind Neck, Cable Lat Pulldowns (I do this first to get everything going)
Seated Rope Cable Row
DB Row, Single Arm, Neutral Grip
DB Bicep Curls, Incline, Neutral grip
Cable Bicep Curl, Overhand Grip
Machine Bicep Curl or EZ-Bar Preacher Curls
Reverse Sit-Ups (3-4 sets of 15-20) or Good Mornings

Chest/Triceps
Barbell Bench Press
Barbell Decline Bench Press, Close Grip
DB Incline Press
Chest Fly Machine, Straight Arm or DB Flys
Superset - DB Pullover into Press or Skullcrushers into Press
2 of the next 3
Cable Tricep Pulldown w/Rope
Seated DB Tricep Extension
Cable Tricep Pushdown, Overhand Grip

I'm pretty much the opposite of the Himbos and Gym Bunnies you'll inevitably see. I couldn't give 2 shits less what anyone else at the gym thinks of what I'm doing. I'm there for me. There will be stronger people there than you. You can't fake strong. Either wholly ignore them, or use it for motivation. Don't let other people's fitness levels dissuade you from progressing. Personally, I'm more impressed by the members that consistently show up to the gym who are closer to 300lbs than those w/single-digit body fat percentages. Keep your own personal goals in mind and have fun with it.

Cheers to your future success!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I grew up playing sports and was raised to eat pretty well but somewhere along the line I let my personal habits go to hell. Beer and wings became a regular staple along side chicken alfredo dinners and foods alike each time I got hungry. I wasn't eating enough and when I did I ate like shit, a problem too many people have and don't realize. After going full dad bod and getting some ribbing from a great friend of mine, who's always been a big guy, I realized how disappointed my former self would be with how I let things get. So I decided to do something about it. A friend of mines room mate had a bare bones bench/squat rack set he was trying to get rid of for like $150 and I took him up on it. Its easily been one of the best investments Ive made in my life.
I lurked a bunch of bodybuilding and fitness forums reading all the references I could on nutrition, lifting, and supplements. Around that time I got the Myfitnesspal app and learned how to follow a macro split/manage daily caloric intake. It made me really look at my food and taught me how to get the most out of my calories instead of sparingly eating garbage as I had been. I learned to look at it like doing a puzzle moving stuff around and changing things until it lines up right. Pretty soon it just became routine. Coupled with a solid lifting routine I lost about 20% of my body weight and put on some solid lean mass. I began to appreciate the so called "art" of bodybuilding as I saw the results and changes I could create in myself. It took time and dedication but staying consistent long term paid off in helping me meet my goals. These days I'm finally to the point where I can bulk and cut and I'm excited to be trimming back up for summer after eating well this winter. Since this post is already lengthy I'll go over my diet/routine in more detail in another post but heres my "transformation."

Me in late '13(I know crappy pic)....

Me today.....

Cole, amazing work. This motivates me big time. I've been telling myself to make changes but have had a hard time initiating them. Maybe one day I'll be a purdy as you!

I'm almost 300 lbs! My normal weight should be right around 220. I'm a six foot person with broad shoulders....I have no business carrying this much weight. I'm cutting way back on the drinking and that will help tremendously; I also need to focus more on my diet. I've lived 40 years and it's all been cheat meals! I'm very lucky to not have serious health problems.