What's new

BOTL Weight Loss Thread

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
A wounded elephant, that's not so bad.

I look like a fat diabetic duck with one leg when I try to run. I stick to fast walking and uphill treadmills. If I'm running, it's probably because I'm being chased by a bear and have run out of ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel ya man. I'm just fully out of shape. Its like im working out to get my muscles in shape to actually workout.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Come back to Ohio and teach me how to run. My wife was a cross country runner. She says I run like a wounded elephant. Which is probably why I always hurt so much the next day. Ran on Monday and my calves still hurt just walking. Been trying to ride my bike a good bit. Going to have to learn a better technique than put one foot in front of the other.
Have you looked in to compression socks? They will help with the lactic acid in your calves.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Of course man all welcomed.

Have not. I assumed the pain was from damage or strain to the muscle. Not acid build up.
It is worth looking in to IMO. I was running trails in Jordan that were 5-10 miles long with 755ft elevation change. The pain was crazy until I started wearing those socks. I even wear them when I fly now because they keep my feet from swelling and my legs don't hurt after a 12 hour flight. If you are interested I wear Pro Compression marathon socks. (No I don't work for them). I even have a black pair to wear when I know we will be standing in formation for an extended period of time. Your wife might have some insight due to her running experience.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Guys do yourselves a favor and set up a solid macro split. Yes not all calories are created equal but to an extent they are. By managing your macros you pick and choose what to burn your calories on granted its gotta fit your macros. Ive been eating gummy bears post workout (for glycogen replenishment) and drink a few beers a week. But I make sure to accommodate that into my meal plan and keep it to a small portion of my weekly intake.
For the guys just getting into it I would start by just eating at maintenance and dialing in your macro split. Then use exercise to put you into a caloric deficit. Once you feel like you've got in a rhythm with managing things drop your intake 300-500 calories. I think going through the learning curve in a deficit can be a lot of extra stress and is a reason a lot of people don't stick with it.
I'm brewing at the moment but I'll post back with some of my meal plans to give an idea of how to be flexible. Dieting isn't giving up everything you love it's learning better moderation.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Guys do yourselves a favor and set up a solid macro split. Yes not all calories are created equal but to an extent they are. By managing your macros you pick and choose what to burn your calories on granted its gotta fit your macros. Ive been eating gummy bears post workout (for glycogen replenishment) and drink a few beers a week. But I make sure to accommodate that into my meal plan and keep it to a small portion of my weekly intake.
For the guys just getting into it I would start by just eating at maintenance and dialing in your macro split. Then use exercise to put you into a caloric deficit. Once you feel like you've got in a rhythm with managing things drop your intake 300-500 calories. I think going through the learning curve in a deficit can be a lot of extra stress and is a reason a lot of people don't stick with it.
I'm brewing at the moment but I'll post back with some of my meal plans to give an idea of how to be flexible. Dieting isn't giving up everything you love it's learning better moderation.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
It is worth looking in to IMO. I was running trails in Jordan that were 5-10 miles long with 755ft elevation change. The pain was crazy until I started wearing those socks. I even wear them when I fly now because they keep my feet from swelling and my legs don't hurt after a 12 hour flight. If you are interested I wear Pro Compression marathon socks. (No I don't work for them). I even have a black pair to wear when I know we will be standing in formation for an extended period of time. Your wife might have some insight due to her running experience.
I'll try a pair. Sounds like it would be nice for work too. In sales so I'm on my feet all day.

@HIM* I'd like to hear what your meal plan involves. I'v not really done much in the terms of trying to find a good plan, just keeping try of calories with my phone.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
At the beginning of summer I was dialing back my carbs a bit but now I'm slowly bringing them back up. I shoot for ~2200 cal each day and a 40p/35f/25c macro split. It can be a little off but it should be in the ball park. Obviously I don't eat this way daily but it's an idea of being flexible within your goals. Here's what I've got for today....

Breakfast - 300cal

8oz Greek yogurt
1oz granola fruit clusters

Lunch - 767cal

2 hard boiled eggs + mustard
1oz honey roasted peanuts
2 Lagers
1 APA

Dinner - 870cal

10oz skirt steak
3oz carrots
1/2 package frozen broccoli
1 tbsp butter
Guacamole

Snacks - 240

Protein shake, 2 scoops

Total - 2178cal, 37p/36f/27c

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Didn't do real well with the only water aspect of my goals. Friend had a big house warming party and the kegs were calling my name. But other than that drinking only water has been going pretty well.
Breathing better has been really nice. I feel a bit less stressed actually which surprised me. And while running/walking I feel less out of breath.
Sleeping not going as well. The first few days were really rough. I forced my self to try and sleep. Maybe got 4-5 hours and then just had to get up. I have found the past few nights after many days sleeping like shit that I did fall asleep quickly buy didn't stay a sleep long. Changing my sleep habits is going to take time.

Even with my beer weekend I dropped down to 209.8 lbs. Ill keep this up for another week and then I think I'll try and work on improving the diet.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Depending how bad it is I would say walking or maybe swimming. Walking isn't going to put any lean mass on you but it will definitely help you slim down. Swimming will also trim you down but you have better chances of adding a little lean mass in the process.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I went with the walking yesterday, not near the workout I get from running, but better than sitting on the couch.

Not nearly as much knee pain from walking. It's bothered me off and on a couple years. Probably should suck it up and get it checked out.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Walking doesn't burn nearly as many calories compared to running but its easier to only burn carbs/fat and not have muscle breakdown. Another positive I noticed was I could walk more consistently throughout the week and keep my weekly totals higher(distance). If I run that often my legs don't recover quick enough.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I went with the walking yesterday, not near the workout I get from running, but better than sitting on the couch.

Not nearly as much knee pain from walking. It's bothered me off and on a couple years. Probably should suck it up and get it checked out.

I hope you don't mind me asking brother, but can you wrap your knee and go on an eliptical trainer?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I hope you don't mind me asking brother, but can you wrap your knee and go on an eliptical trainer?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I was thinking even an exercise bike may be less impactful on the knee than a treadmill.