What's new

BOTL Weight Loss Thread

SoberSmokes

Lets Go Rangers!
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Way to go bro. I lost 10 recently and am super excited but your 30s is a wonderfull achievement. I started loosing weight recently cause I just do feel as confident as I did. Before becoming a sanitation worker and getting engaged I was 180 ripped. Now I'm 225 (but since lost 10). Still got muscle but can't see it. I recently changed my diet to jyst carbs on weekends and high protein and fat to keep the body energized. And of course cigars. Keep it up bud. I myself am trying to get back to 200-205 with some abs

Sent from my SGH-T399N using Tapatalk

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Cole, amazing work. This motivates me big time. I've been telling myself to make changes but have had a hard time initiating them. Maybe one day I'll be a purdy as you!

I'm almost 300 lbs! My normal weight should be right around 220. I'm a six foot person with broad shoulders....I have no business carrying this much weight. I'm cutting way back on the drinking and that will help tremendously; I also need to focus more on my diet. I've lived 40 years and it's all been cheat meals! I'm very lucky to not have serious health problems.
Thanks man! It takes a little getting used to some of the changes but once you commit to it your there. I think most people know how to eat healthy they just have trouble with proportioning, overall calorie intake, or balancing macro nutrition because we're never taught about it. Learning that knowledge was the big game changer for me. Now I still eat foods I enjoy its just managed in a way that supports my goals.
If you ever have any questions don't hesitate to ask. You can make it. There is no handouts but if you want it its there to reach out and take!!

Way to go bro. I lost 10 recently and am super excited but your 30s is a wonderfull achievement. I started loosing weight recently cause I just do feel as confident as I did. Before becoming a sanitation worker and getting engaged I was 180 ripped. Now I'm 225 (but since lost 10). Still got muscle but can't see it. I recently changed my diet to jyst carbs on weekends and high protein and fat to keep the body energized. And of course cigars. Keep it up bud. I myself am trying to get back to 200-205 with some abs

So carb cycling right? How many carbs a day during the week? Whats the rest of your diet/routine looking like these days? Get things dialed in and keep it on point and I bet you could be ready to bulk come winter. I bet your holding more water weight and not as much fat as you think.

Last edited:

SoberSmokes

Lets Go Rangers!
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks man! It takes a little getting used to some of the changes but once you commit to it your there. I think most people know how to eat healthy they just have trouble with proportioning, overall calorie intake, or balancing macro nutrition because we're never taught about it. Learning that knowledge was the big game changer for me. Now I still eat foods I enjoy its just managed in a way that supports my goals.
If you ever have any questions don't hesitate to ask. You can make it. There is no handouts but if you want it its there to reach out and take!!

So carb cycling right? How many carbs a day during the week? Whats the rest of your diet/routine looking like these days? Get things dialed in and keep it on point and I bet you could be ready to bulk come winter. I bet your holding more water weight and not as much fat as you think.
I'm trying to keep it at 30g-50g. I'm not psycho about it like I once was. I do cardio 3-4 times a week 30-40 min on stepper. And high rep work outs 4sets of15-20

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm trying to keep it at 30g-50g. I'm not psycho about it like I once was. I do cardio 3-4 times a week 30-40 min on stepper. And high rep work outs 4sets of15-20

Thats rough! What do your higher carb days look like though? Ive never tried carb cycling like that but a lot of people have success with it. Im thinking of trying it out sometime.
It doesn't work with everyones schedule but have you ever tried doing your cardio fasted? Ive been doing fasted morning cardio a couple times a week and feel like it has a nice synergy with dialing back the carbs.

This was way longer than I was expecting to contribute, so in case this looks like a tl;dr, here: Pay attention to what you eat, exercise 3-4 times a week, and you'll see results. It really is that simple in the long run. There is no Magic Bullet.
For everyone reading these, you'll find what works for you.

....I couldn't give 2 shits less what anyone else at the gym thinks of what I'm doing. I'm there for me. There will be stronger people there than you. You can't fake strong. Either wholly ignore them, or use it for motivation. Don't let other people's fitness levels dissuade you from progressing. Personally, I'm more impressed by the members that consistently show up to the gym who are closer to 300lbs than those w/single-digit body fat percentages. Keep your own personal goals in mind and have fun with it.

Cheers to your future success!

Somehow I originally missed this post but these parts are gold.

Last edited:

SoberSmokes

Lets Go Rangers!
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thats rough! What do your higher carb days look like though? Ive never tried carb cycling like that but a lot of people have success with it. Im thinking of trying it out sometime.
It doesn't work with everyones schedule but have you ever tried doing your cardio fasted? Ive been doing fasted morning cardio a couple times a week and feel like it has a nice synergy with dialing back the carbs.

Somehow I originally missed this post but these parts are gold.
The weekend I eat whatever carbs I can get my hands on. It red rocks my glycogen levels and helps rebuild muscle. So all week I'm burning fat and on weekends I repair. Or at least this is what I read. Only in week 4 of a 12 week program

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The weekend I eat whatever carbs I can get my hands on. It red rocks my glycogen levels and helps rebuild muscle. So all week I'm burning fat and on weekends I repair. Or at least this is what I read. Only in week 4 of a 12 week program

Thats about the gist of what Ive read. Do you or have you ever felt really bloated from the big carb influx on weekends? I know refeeds tend to make me feel crazy bloated for a couple days but after the water sheds back off I look healthier and fuller from the glycogen, not all flat and malnourished looking. If its like that every week though I don't know if I could handle feeling bloated for days on end week in and week out. That would drive me wild.

SoberSmokes

Lets Go Rangers!
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thats about the gist of what Ive read. Do you or have you ever felt really bloated from the big carb influx on weekends? I know refeeds tend to make me feel crazy bloated for a couple days but after the water sheds back off I look healthier and fuller from the glycogen, not all flat and malnourished looking. If its like that every week though I don't know if I could handle feeling bloated for days on end week in and week out. That would drive me wild.
Not really. My muscles Definitely feel fuller. Maybe a little bloated. But Monday cardio takes care of that

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
@HIM Do you have the Premium version of fitness pal? If so, what do you get that's not included with the free version?
Ive always just used the free version. Premium probably has some nice features but the free version is more than enough to get things done. If you need any advice on getting the app dialed in I'm more than happy to help.

SoberSmokes

Lets Go Rangers!
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ive always just used the free version. Premium probably has some nice features but the free version is more than enough to get things done. If you need any advice on getting the app dialed in I'm more than happy to help.
I just got the app today. I like how it tells,me my calorie goals and macro nutrient goals

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You can edit all of those things to whatever you'd like too so you can really personalize it. I like my split heavier on protein than the default which is more carb heavy.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Looks like this has died for a few days....just like my diet :dead:. Tl;dr going to try and get healthy small steps at a time.

OK ok ok. 12363rd times the charm. Wife has done an amazing job losing 40 pounds in the past 3 months :jawdrop:. If I don't get in shape I'll be looking for a new wife :cry:. I did lose from 220 to 210 since March, but weight has always fluctuated a bit anyways.

I feel my biggest issue is that I try and flip a switch from unhealthy as f#### to super health freak. It goes great for a week and then I fall back to my usual. So instead of doing it all at once I am going to pick a few things I'd like to work on every couple weeks. Hopefully this way I will actually spend the time learning to make these things a part of my life style and not just a quick fix. I'v been working on these three since Monday. I started this off with 3 easy ones but ones I think a lot of us don't do. At least I know I am bad about all of these and they are each at the core of being healthy. Water, sleep, and breathing. Along with concentrating on these goals I'll also be working on a 1800 a day calorie intake and trying to do some sort of exercise. But the 3 current goals are the most important addition to my (hopefully) permanent life style change.

CURRENT GOALS:
1) Water water and more water. I think we all know how important water is, even if we don't drink enough of it. So for now on lots of water. I am allowing teas and coffee to fall into this as well. Homebrewed none of that store bought can/bottled $###. I'v found this is already helping a lot. I read somewhere that when the body is thirsty you feel hungry. The body doesn't distinguish the difference. I feel I am a lot less hungry during the day now from drinking more water. I am aiming for half my body weight in fluid ouncles, 105 fl oz. This is the minimum of course the more the better.

2) More sleep. I have never been a good sleeper and I am lucky to get a solid 6 hours. I toss and turn and that's if I even shut my eyes. But sleep is important so I am going to work on it till I got it. Studies have shown sleep can help with everything from weightloss to stress. The goal is 8 hours everyday. So far this week I finally last night got 6 decent hours. So hopefully another week and I will be sleeping better.

3) Deeper breathing. My doctor told me my blood pressure was a bit high. Gave me a few things to work on and deeper breathing was one. Said I breath to shallow in my chest and not deep into diaphragm, really filling my lungs. Blah blah something about oxygen in the blood. I'll just listen to the doc and do as he says, I didn't feel like researching the science. I think this will also help when I decide to move forward with more exercise in a later week. So the goal is to spend 5 minutes every hour (if time allows) doing a deep breathing excersise. Also through out the day whenever I catch myself breathing shallow to try and take a few deep breaths.

I'll try and check in every couple days with an update on how each goal is coming along. And I'll try and remember to do a weekly weigh in as well. Current weight 210.4 lbs. No pic for this one.

jkittle99

Josh
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I'm down ~13lbs in the last 3 weeks, I've switched my diet up to fresh stuff, cut out all the fast food (god, I miss big mac's) and have been drinking tons of water. And overall I've been on a much lower calorie diet. Fuck I want a big mac.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Stepped on the scale after vacation and was over 200 lbs for the first time in my life.

Changed my diet 5 days ago and started running again for the first time in 3 years. We will see how this goes.

Will update progress.

The better half is doing the same. Hopefully as a team we can push each other and not quit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I'm down ~13lbs in the last 3 weeks, I've switched my diet up to fresh stuff, cut out all the fast food (god, I miss big mac's) and have been drinking tons of water. And overall I've been on a much lower calorie diet. Fuck I want a big mac.
Yeah no fast food for me either. But I really don't eat a lot most my weight gain I know is soda and beer....God I want a beer.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We all should have aspirations to improve our fitness. Regardless of shape or the number that pops up on the scale when we step on it. Our cigar hobby isn't exactly the healthiest hobby regardless of inhalation or not. So we should "earn" that beer with a 30 minute workout. Or "earn" that cigar with an hour walk/jog. I write this not to preach, but to also attempt to hold myself accountable as well

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Stepped on the scale after vacation and was over 200 lbs for the first time in my life.

Changed my diet 5 days ago and started running again for the first time in 3 years. We will see how this goes.

Will update progress.

The better half is doing the same. Hopefully as a team we can push each other and not quit.

Come back to Ohio and teach me how to run. My wife was a cross country runner. She says I run like a wounded elephant. Which is probably why I always hurt so much the next day. Ran on Monday and my calves still hurt just walking. Been trying to ride my bike a good bit. Going to have to learn a better technique than put one foot in front of the other.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Come back to Ohio and teach me how to run. My wife was a cross country runner. She says I run like a wounded elephant. Which is probably why I always hurt so much the next day. Ran on Monday and my calves still hurt just walking. Been trying to ride my bike a good bit. Going to have to learn a better technique than put one foot in front of the other.
I used to run track, so my form is fine. Just out of shape. My calves don't bother me. Quads do thou.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
A wounded elephant, that's not so bad.

I look like a fat diabetic duck with one leg when I try to run. I stick to fast walking and uphill treadmills. If I'm running, it's probably because I'm being chased by a bear and have run out of ammo.