What's new

BTAC 2017

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Gladly. Just happy to be able to help people out when I can. I hope I'm able. I can't imagine what it's like for some of these guys living in veritable bourbon deserts.... ;)
The only store near me that will most likely be getting the ones I'm interested in is known for putting on their shelf at secondary market prices. It's owned by a couple of foreigners and they give zero fucks about their customers. It's a shame.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
The only store near me that will most likely be getting the ones I'm interested in is known for putting on their shelf at secondary market prices. It's owned by a couple of foreigners and they give zero fucks about their customers. It's a shame.
Just damn. While that's understandable just from a numbers perspective, on the surface at least. I highly doubt it's worth the loss of goodwill and customer loyalty. I highly appreciate the guys who actively make the effort to earn return patronage. 80% of my sales come from return customers.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Unfortunately, hipsters and resellers everywhere are greasing the wheels. Either that, or the shop owners know what it's worth on the secondary and jack the price way up.
This is exactly what is happening. Stores are starting to sell them at secondary prices vs what they are supposed to. I can find pappy & BTAC at a bunch of stores, but not going to drop $400+on a bottle

memphsdad

Rating - 100%
116   0   0
This is exactly what is happening. Stores are starting to sell them at secondary prices vs what they are supposed to. I can find pappy & BTAC at a bunch of stores, but not going to drop $400+on a bottle
Not sure how they get away with that, it's ridiculous. I can understand maybe a slight markup due to demand, but most of that stuff should have protection against price gouging.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Not sure how they get away with that, it's ridiculous. I can understand maybe a slight markup due to demand, but most of that stuff should have protection against price gouging.
That'd be hard to enforce. The market is what it is. Frustrating as it may be. (Though I can't even imagine, I've got to start a new business... ;) Really the only buffer is guys with an old school sense of integrity and customer care.

memphsdad

Rating - 100%
116   0   0
That'd be hard to enforce. The market is what it is. Frustrating as it may be. (Though I can't even imagine, I've got to start a new business... ;) Really the only buffer is guys with an old school sense of integrity and customer care.
It's not too hard if the sales reps selling in that area are doing their job. Should be equal to just about any other type of retail.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
It's not too hard if the sales reps selling in that area are doing their job. Should be equal to just about any other type of retail.
They would just sell it to themselves and turn around and sell it on the secondary. Exactly what went on with 22 ammo for the last 6 years.

memphsdad

Rating - 100%
116   0   0
They would just sell it to themselves and turn around and sell it on the secondary. Exactly what went on with 22 ammo for the last 6 years.
That's true, I didn't think about it from that perspective and honestly we've seen the same thing happen with cigars as well. Either way it's a damn shame.

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So here in Bay Area, it's out of control. I'm friends with a guy who just opened a shop in my neighborhood. His father owned a famous liquor store in San Francisco since the 50s. It closed last year cause its 50-year lease ran out. His father used to select cases of barrel-select Pappy 23 from the old Stitzel-Weller distillery. That juice, he said, is in another realm from the Buffalo Trace stuff. But here are current retail prices (after retailer mark-up) for these bottles in Bay Area.

Pappy 23: $2300
Pappy 20: $2000
Pappy 15: $1800
Lot B: $1200
Rip Van Winkle: $1000
Eagle Rare 17: $800
Sazerac 18: $750
Larue: $700
George T Stagg: $750
Thomas Handy: $500
Weller 12: $250
Weller 107: $100

Oddly enough, it's not hipsters and trendies driving up the price, although that plays a role. It's the new wealthy upper-middle class in China and Japanese whiskey collectors that have dwindled supply. But Bufalo Trace is now building a new warehouse every four months and production has been ramped up 24/7. So in 15-20 years we'll all be able to get these bottles. Lol!

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
So here in Bay Area, it's out of control. I'm friends with a guy who just opened a shop in my neighborhood. His father owned a famous liquor store in San Francisco since the 50s. It closed last year cause its 50-year lease ran out. His father used to select cases of barrel-select Pappy 23 from the old Stitzel-Weller distillery. That juice, he said, is in another realm from the Buffalo Trace stuff. But here are current retail prices (after retailer mark-up) for these bottles in Bay Area.

Pappy 23: $2300
Pappy 20: $2000
Pappy 15: $1800
Lot B: $1200
Rip Van Winkle: $1000
Eagle Rare 17: $800
Sazerac 18: $750
Larue: $700
George T Stagg: $750
Thomas Handy: $500
Weller 12: $250
Weller 107: $100

Oddly enough, it's not hipsters and trendies driving up the price, although that plays a role. It's the new wealthy upper-middle class in China and Japanese whiskey collectors that have dwindled supply. But Bufalo Trace is now building a new warehouse every four months and production has been ramped up 24/7. So in 15-20 years we'll all be able to get these bottles. Lol!
Holy shit..... And I balk at the prices of some single barrel standard production stuff...... :/

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
This is why these should be no shame to beg steal or barrow from a distributor for these bottles. Msrp is usually about 75 to 80 bucks for allllll of these. Some of the pappy stuff is 125ish. Now think of the markup.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk