What's new

Building a walk-in

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Unfortunately my dad is not a cigar smoker. Actually, cigar smoking is not very big in Sweden. Usually you could only buy crappy cigars at the gas station or a supermarket in a long dry humi. The real good B&Ms are pretty scarse. The two times I have been in the Us (two times in NY and one time in Miami) I have really loved browsing around in cigar shops.

But I will thank my dad in other ways. Thanks for the kind feedback guys!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Today we have put the floor in. It consists of 4 layers: One noice reducing thin layer, one plastic platon carpet, one isolating material and the oak floor. I have this setup in the whole cellar and I did it in the humidor aswell to have the same height on the floor. I have sealed of so thath the air under the humidor would not travel to the other rooms. I have scraped the idea with inlays in the floor. The oak part of the floor is only 0.1 of an inch and I think that I will damage the structual integrity of the floor. I have started to fit the floor moldings. I will continue to work tomorrow.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I put some more work into the humidor today. I started to mount wall beams for the shelves. It was kind of hard to do it, the bricks started to crack. But after a while I got the hang of it and now the longside is done. I have to glue the cracked brick later. I put one short side shelf on just to get a feel of the final lock. I know that the shelf system is not the prettiest but it is flexible.

My father in law needed his nail gun so I could not mount any more moldings. Instead we started on the keyless lock. It is mounted with double sided tape on one side and glas silicon on the other. We routered the door frame and mounted a plate with holes for the lock pins and a magnet that detects if the door is closed. I also mounted a door stop on the outside. We have also adjusted the door sealing so that it seals against the door lock.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Today I have placed all the mouldings, both on the floor and the ceiling. I have also used acylic joint to even out the gap between the wall and the mouldings. I have ut in an oak doorstep. I am not sure if I will have a silicon seal between the doorstep and the glass door yet. It can be that it is good to have some leaking air to get an air exchange. I have fitted the last vertial bems and started to manufacture the oak shelves. Here I have routered the edges on 3 sides, kind of nice is it not? The thought is to have my whisky and rum collection on the top shelves. Under the top shelf I will have to shelves that are tilted on the short side. This is for single cigars.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Today I finalized the manufacturing of the shelves. I realized today that the 4 new ceder trays I bought did not match the 4 ones that I already had in size. So the tilted shelves is in 2 different lengths. I specially bought small shelve pins tht are round in on end and flt in the oter. The idea was to counterzink them into the tilted shelves to act as a stopper. After 45 minutes of searcing and 5 minutes of destroying things I realized that I probably threw them away at som point. I have used screws instead and I will think about if I am going to replace them at a later stage.

I have painted all of the mouldings again. It is especially critical for the acrylic soft jointing as it turns yellow after a while. I have also built a box with a plastic cointainer and a stand. This is for the humidifier to stand on and act as a collector if water leaks out. I built it of the same material as the shelves. You can se the humidifier on the pictures. I also bought a fan today. I have not desided if it should be placed on the floor or attached to the white wall above the humidifier. I will have the wine rack in the picture, either where it is placed now or beside the humidifier on the white wall.

I brushed and polished the metal plate to the keyless lock and fitted it back on the door frame.

Now the walk-in is almost done!