What's new

Built Not Bought: post up your project cars?

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Yeah I'll wake up this thread. Tomorrow's "project car" is my son's Mini Cooper. Someone backed into it while unattended. I have to replace tailights ( both sides so they match ) And the frame (box around tailight) needs a little straightening out. Bumper in the same area looks like a surfboard after a shark attack . Sounds worse than it is, really. An oil and filter change are also in the works, aaaand.. he has a floodlight in the front that is out. That requires pulling both front tires, and their respective plastic inner mud wells out to get to the bulbs. These will also replace as a set. ( parking lamps have an access port in the wheel well it seems, but not the floods. )

If we have time, he'd like to re-tack his headliner. Since I apparently attract ancient cars, of course I've done headliners. I did my 82 Cutlass, The 76 Camaro, and my 67 Stang are the ones I remember. It has to be removed to do right. And yes, the Stang headliner used rails not glue. Regardless, I would reserve a day to do a headliner job. But when all goes well, four hours. Much time is spent cleaning the header board so something will actually stick to it, waiting for glue to dry, and getting the damn thing out for service, and back into the car, without cracking it. What I remember most is the cursing.

My son is not local, and wrapping up school soon, so this is a quick confidece boost he'll appreciate. But on the trip in, he called me, because of irregular temp readings ( cool ). He got into town fine. Too many reasons to list why it is likely his thermostadt is stuck open. To get to the thermostdt, there is some teardown, as well as disturbing the cooling system so I say the headliner job is now out of the picture.
I grabbed a thermostadt tonight at the auto store and ordered it's gasket for pickup tomorrow.

So for tomorrow I think it's fair to say I've adopted a "project car".

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Well here's some more car crap. We got everything done except the headliner.
The dent on the lower left I used my dent puller, then ground flat. The rust on the right would show to go all the way up the tailight.
The welder I use, I borrow, so that was no option. And you don't pack bondo in rust holes. So I cut it all out, cleaned eveything up, and used fiberglass, which I've used in a pinch for small holes before.
The paint's just some Dupli-color, which as usual, does not match even closely. I didn't bother blending it in, or clear coating it. It's temporary.
I have paint coming but it's in NC , and they mix to order via paint code so, whenever they get around to mixing it and shiping my shit, I'll shoot it with the proper color and finish it all in, real nice.
I only need to reshoot around the taillight. Bumper only needed clearcoat. I see the bottom can use compounded, if I care enough.

Last edited:

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Well here's some more car crap. We got everything done except the headliner.
The dent on the lower left I used my dent puller, then ground flat. The rust on the right would show to go all the way up the tailight.
The welder I use, I borrow, so that was no option. And you don't pack bondo in rust holes. So I cut it all out, cleaned eveything up, and used fiberglass, which I've used in a pinch for small holes before.
The paint's just some Dupli-color, which as usual, does not match even closely. I didn't bother blending it in, or clear coating it. It's temporary.
I have paint coming but it's in NC , and they mix to order via paint code so, whenever they get around to mixing it and shiping my shit, I'll shoot it with the proper color and finish it all in, real nice.
I only need to reshoot around the taillight. Bumper only needed clearcoat. I see the bottom can use compounded, if I care enough.

Nice work man! Impressive. Did you get the thermostat issue figured out?
Figure out a better way with the headlights? That sounded inane. One thing I like about Volvo, they make stuff like that so straightforward...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Nice work man! Impressive. Did you get the thermostat issue figured out?
Figure out a better way with the headlights? That sounded inane. One thing I like about Volvo, they make stuff like that so straightforward...
Yeah the kid pulled the whole front bumper cover off, (took him about 20 minutes) to get to the fog lights. Caddy CTS to replace main headlamp bulbs you gotta do the same thing.

With the thermostadt, as soon as we pulled it out of the housing, you could see it was shot. Spring hanging off and sh1t. Glad broken pieces didn't wind up in the radiator.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Yeah the kid pulled the whole front bumper cover off, (took him about 20 minutes) to get to the fog lights. Caddy CTS to replace main headlamp bulbs you gotta do the same thing.

With the thermostadt, as soon as we pulled it out of the housing, you could see it was shot. Spring hanging off and sh1t. Glad broken pieces didn't wind up in the radiator.
Daaaayum. Yeah, I'd like some "quality time" with some of the engineers who've designed some stuff that way... :mad: And I know it's done to get people to go to the dealer, and that just pisses me off more. Changing a bulb shouldn't take more than 2 minutes....

Mom had a Cadillac once that required bracing disassembly to change a battery. Royally pissed me off.

Sounds like some good productive time with the kid. Great stuff. (y)

Rating - 100%
42   0   0

Bypassing shaft-siezed AC compressor on a Saturn DOHC v6.( Compressor on lower right )
6PK1890 means 6Ribs / Serpentine / 1890mm.
Others use inches in the 5060795 format ( 79.5" )
Had to know the "belt formula" because everybody asks for/ year /make / model and hands you a stock belt.
For a custom belt, you have to measure it out, then pre-determine the stock number. Once you know that, you can find them easily.

Note the New water pump. Did the timing belt, pulleys and water pump in November.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I've been MIA recently due to this project I've been investing all of my free time in. My Jeep CJ5 has a blown engine(304/5.0L). I couldn't afford a full rebuild so I started searching for a used 304 I could drop in. I sourced one that supposedly ran without issues when it was pulled for a fuel injected Chevy swap. This one came with a bunch of extras including edlebrock intake manifold, 4 barrel carb, new starter, newer alternator, msd digital ignition, and power steering pump(something I'd like to add in the future).

I got the engine home and dropped the oil to find coolant in the oil. I figured while the engine was out of the Jeep I'd take the time to replace the head gaskets hoping this solves the issue. I've got the engine degreaser, cleaned, everything taken apart, heads have been cleaned and valves lapped, bearings checked, and now I'm at a stand still waiting on my seal kit.

Upon teardown I found out the 304 is actually a 401, which is much more sought after and usually very expensive. The fact the previous owner didn't know he had a 401 blows my mind but I digress. The AMC 304, 360, and 401 share the same block with different bore diameters and different heads so this is a direct bolt in swap for my 304.

More to come when I get it back together.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
@ATL827 as long as those heads are flat, which they probably are, you're in business ! Probably junked because she started to smoke.
I think they're good. I checked with machinist straight edge and a 0.004 feeler gauge and couldn't fit it anywhere. The maximum spec for profile/warpage according to my manual is 0.008.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
My head gaskets finally came in the mail so I could reassemble and paint the engine. I've still got to install the intake manifold and valve covers but I couldn't resist setting them on top after I took the tape off last night.

My old engine is almost out but I've got to take a break for a few nights so it might be this weekend before I get it out and this one in.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
My head gaskets finally came in the mail so I could reassemble and paint the engine. I've still got to install the intake manifold and valve covers but I couldn't resist setting them on top after I took the tape off last night.

My old engine is almost out but I've got to take a break for a few nights so it might be this weekend before I get it out and this one in.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0

That's gorgeous.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Tonight was supposed to be the night BUT I had fitment issues while trying to drop the engine in. Come to find out, the 1-1/8" spline clutch I ordered actually delivered as a 1-1/16" diameter spline. Sigh. Maybe next Friday.