What's new

CA Cigar of the Year?

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
...now we just have to find out the box code of the year that they rated...
Thought they said April 2013?

how are they able to openly possess & smoke cuban cigars in their New York office and post videos about this contraband year after year and not get slammed?
Same way every other celebrity gets away with either public admission of or filmed recording of themselves doing drugs. Feds just have bigger priorities.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem I have with CA giving the #1 spot to a Cuban is twofold:

1. It's hell for some retailers. From now until late next year there will be a steady stream of people looking for the Monte #2 then wondering why no one in the US has it. It's frustrating after a while.

2. It is, once again, too easy for someone to point to that rating and say "See! Cubans are the best!" This goes against the subjectivity of cigars. We all know that while something can be the best to one smoker it can be garbage to another.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A sad fact is when the list comes out it just makes those cigars jump a bit in base pricing...it's all subjective but the worse part is if you really like the cigars it just means you are going to pay a little bit more for it. I'd rather look and search outside the box for those cigars that I read in reviews from reputable forums where members tend to let you know what they think rather than being paid by a commercial entity that makes the reviewer beholden to them to get more free cigars.

Manufacturers do not raise price based on being named a top 25 cigar. Don't know how you can claim that as a fact.
Probably because I've seen the prices go up..it's called reading. When popular cigars go on sale after these write ups the cigar enthusiasts want to have the latest and greatest so pricing will correspond to the demand. The manufacturer has a lot of say so as to how much the cigar will be sold...B&M's only have some discretionary input but they can't sell outside the market of what the Manufacturer wants.....see Fuente and other big name brands. I've seen prices rise when I got into this hobby back in the early 70's and esp. during the cigar boom...prices went up to the corresponding marketplace and much like any product...if there is a market for popular product you're not going to see it go down...if so I'll be buying the newest Corvette or Porsche since manufacturers don't raise prices.
I think for the most part this is more the retailers trying to take advantage of market demand rather than the manufacturers.
Yep, it's happening already. Some retailers now have "call for pricing" for the curivari and one listed it for $44 a box and when I dropped it in my cart the price rose to $55 and that was before shipping.
Exactly...and I love the Curivari brand when a brother sent me a 5 pak to try and then review for him. I thought at that time if this cigar catches fire ( no pun intended ) there will be a demand and prices will rise soon after. I bought a couple of boxes then based on my experience with cigars that become very popular and then the pricing goes up esp. when you factor a media marketing blitz in Cigar Magazines. There is a corollary with this and regardless of whether it starts with the Manufacturer or Retailer there is going to be a bump in pricing and it's usually the Manufacturer who gives the nod to pricing to its retailers.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
2. It is, once again, too easy for someone to point to that rating and say "See! Cubans are the best!" This goes against the subjectivity of cigars. We all know that while something can be the best to one smoker it can be garbage to another.
Well, any rating system goes against the "subjectivity of cigars" so if you're against the rating system, you're against any objective ranking of cigars. Additionally, the last several years have been non-CCs IIRC so it's illogical for any smoker to point at this year and argue that it in any way settles the NC v CC debate. In fact, most folks I know who would enter that debate seriously would consider their argument weaker for having used CA's rankings to make their point :D

But you do bring up a great point about people trying to look for the Monte 2 here in the states. What's going to happen is that folks in droves are going to go looking for the #1 cigar of the year, and will be steered to Altadis's version. And IMHO, there you have it: the method behind CA's madness.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0

how are they able to openly possess & smoke cuban cigars in their New York office and post videos about this contraband year after year and not get slammed?
Same way every other celebrity gets away with either public admission of or filmed recording of themselves doing drugs. Feds just have bigger priorities.
I didnt watch the video or read the article lol oops just saw the stick i will go back and take a look

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A sad fact is when the list comes out it just makes those cigars jump a bit in base pricing...it's all subjective but the worse part is if you really like the cigars it just means you are going to pay a little bit more for it. I'd rather look and search outside the box for those cigars that I read in reviews from reputable forums where members tend to let you know what they think rather than being paid by a commercial entity that makes the reviewer beholden to them to get more free cigars.
Manufacturers do not raise price based on being named a top 25 cigar. Don't know how you can claim that as a fact.
Probably because I've seen the prices go up..it's called reading. When popular cigars go on sale after these write ups the cigar enthusiasts want to have the latest and greatest so pricing will correspond to the demand. The manufacturer has a lot of say so as to how much the cigar will be sold...B&M's only have some discretionary input but they can't sell outside the market of what the Manufacturer wants.....see Fuente and other big name brands. I've seen prices rise when I got into this hobby back in the early 70's and esp. during the cigar boom...prices went up to the corresponding marketplace and much like any product...if there is a market for popular product you're not going to see it go down...if so I'll be buying the newest Corvette or Porsche since manufacturers don't raise prices.
I think for the most part this is more the retailers trying to take advantage of market demand rather than the manufacturers.
Thats exactly what it is!!! Its not the manufacturers sticking it to the retailers. If you see a sudden price increase after a ranking that is the retailer doing it. Sometimes a retailer cant get it cause they dont have an account with the mfg or there is no more supply. So they buy it elsewhere at retail price and then mark it up again.
The Retailer can charge whatever pricing he wants but will suffer the consequences from the Manufacturer if he is found to charge more than he is supposed to. Most B&M's have contracts so they can get product and keep their storefronts stocked while others will get product via other means and then charge whatever markup that suits them...it's called gouging and we know what that is. Reputable outlets know they have a certain criteria as far as how much they can sell an item for...Manufacturers are not going to let a wild Retailer markup product only to besmirch the brand...there are controls in place but it still a few wild businesses tend to do what they want.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not that it really matters but this was not my quote

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
But you do bring up a great point about people trying to look for the Monte 2 here in the states. What's going to happen is that folks in droves are going to go looking for the #1 cigar of the year, and will be steered to Altadis's version. And IMHO, there you have it: the method behind CA's madness.

That could be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen posted.

You truly think CA would rate a Cuban cigar #1 to drive sales to Altadis?

If so I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn...

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
The box in the video was missing the barcode; probably because they dont want people zooming in a checking the code, but hey maybe they get them through 3rd party vendors like others do in the states, never know.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
As for the pricing matter I believe that the poster (and I) where referring to the retailers changing the price slightly not the company itself

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't know I love a good conspiracy theory! LOL!

ericdriscoll

CRA Ambassador #175966
Rating - 100%
31   0   0

Is said bridge anywhere near the Brooklyn Bridge? If so I'm sure I could drum up some investors.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0

Is said bridge anywhere near the Brooklyn Bridge? If so I'm sure I could drum up some investors.
Runs right past Luger's...:halfgrinw

Rating - 100%
165   0   0
Thats exactly what it is!!! Its not the manufacturers sticking it to the retailers. If you see a sudden price increase after a ranking that is the retailer doing it. Sometimes a retailer cant get it cause they dont have an account with the mfg or there is no more supply. So they buy it elsewhere at retail price and then mark it up again.
The Retailer can charge whatever pricing he wants but will suffer the consequences from the Manufacturer if he is found to charge more than he is supposed to. Most B&M's have contracts so they can get product and keep their storefronts stocked while others will get product via other means and then charge whatever markup that suits them...it's called gouging and we know what that is. Reputable outlets know they have a certain criteria as far as how much they can sell an item for...Manufacturers are not going to let a wild Retailer markup product only to besmirch the brand...there are controls in place but it still a few wild businesses tend to do what they want.
That's not necerssarily true. Typically manufacturers do not have a maximum price retailers can charge, only a minnimum price. Some retailers charge 50-100% more than the MSRP. Location and taxes often factor in the price retailers charge. Manufacturers typically have a minnimum price retailers cannot go below due to the fact it devalues the product, and can create an unfair marketplace.

I've seen retailers charge $60-$105 for the Padron 80th. In Vegas you often pay 100% above the MSRP. I've seen threads on this forum where people saw retailer charge huge markups on Liga products.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1

^Agreed....Sorry if this sounds rude, but the idea that CA rated a Havana #1 to drive sales to a non-Cuban version makes zero sense.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
For what it is worth, the number 1 is also my number 1.

But largely because I had one courtesy of a Brother at the So Cal Beach Herf.

Perfectly cared for stick, with perfect people.

I doubt our friends at Park Avenue South had as good a time.