What's new

CA Cigar of the Year?

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Thanks-- you know I've always thought it strange that the rankings seem to depend upon the vitola as well as the make and model. I've had several HE cigars, but all in robusto (and, yes, they were great). But I'm not sure I've ever seen the Piramide Fino. I can't imagine that these CA ratings guys would decide, "Hey, this HE Robusto doesn't quite make it, but this Piramide is definitely top 25 material!"
I actually prefer the HE Lonsdale to the to the Piramide. To each his own I suppose.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
In (at least) the past 9 years the CA Top 10 has ALWAYS consisted of:

• Padron (any anniversary/year series)
  • 2 cuban cigars
It's a good bet that will be true for the Top 5.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Never had nor heard of a Buenaventura BV560 time to look em up.

AbeFroman

Big Gulps, huh?
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I think I may have to buy a few Herrera Estelis to try again and let some sit. The one I had was pretty good, but I don't know if it'd be top 10 material. Maybe it opens up more after sitting for a while.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I think I may have to buy a few Herrera Estelis to try again and let some sit. The one I had was pretty good, but I don't know if it'd be top 10 material. Maybe it opens up more after sitting for a while.
In the same boat as you except the first one I had I did not enjoy. have another sitting.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Interesting list so far. I prefer the Lonsdale HE, but i guess the Pirimide scored higher
That's my question, though-- Do they arrive at a blend they think is top 25 material and then sample all the vitolas to see which one is actually the best? Or have they only been provided with one vitola to rate? My guess is the latter... so I would be inclined to try a top 25 cigar in the vitola I prefer-- which might very well be a Lonsdale or a Lancero, if those are options.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting list so far. I prefer the Lonsdale HE, but i guess the Pirimide scored higher
That's my question, though-- Do they arrive at a blend they think is top 25 material and then sample all the vitolas to see which one is actually the best? Or have they only been provided with one vitola to rate? My guess is the latter... so I would be inclined to try a top 25 cigar in the vitola I prefer-- which might very well be a Lonsdale or a Lancero, if those are options.
How many Herrera Estelis sizes came out this year?

I thought just 1?

Jadawin

Drew Estate Cigars
Rating - 100%
25   0   0

I thought just 1?
There are 5 sizes of Herrera Esteli:
Corona
Robusto
Lonsdale
Toro
Pyramide

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I thought just 1?
There are 5 sizes of Herrera Esteli:
Corona
Robusto
Lonsdale
Toro
Pyramide
Right but I thought the list was of cigars that came out in 2013?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
They take all the cigars that rated 91 or higher for the year and re-smoke them blind to determine the top 25. Any cigar that was rated can make the top 25. I think the Don Carlos #2 has been in the Top 25 before, and at least 3 other sizes of VSG have made it.

I enjoy the list and we use it to hype up the cigars in our shop. Obviously, it's all subjective and some of my favorite cigars ever have never made that list, so I take it with a grain of salt, but it's fun and good for the industry.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When 1-5 are announced take it with a grain of salt....please. Just because YOU don't like a cigar doesn't mean it's overrated, taste is relative. I don't know of any one cigar that everyone thinks is great.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They take all the cigars that rated 91 or higher for the year and re-smoke them blind to determine the top 25. Any cigar that was rated can make the top 25. I think the Don Carlos #2 has been in the Top 25 before, and at least 3 other sizes of VSG have made it.
Sorry, to be clear, these cigars they take that rated 91 or higher from that year...

Do they review say, 2012 or 2011 releases in 2013?

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Gurkha made the top 10.

**cancels subscription**

lol
Haha awesome; I like the mag as a read when im getting haircut or in a waiting room, great pictures just not a huge influence on what I smoke. Which is sad because years ago I used to look at the mag as an additional reference to my cigars, not saying its changed much just got more into the hobby and moved away I guess. I also wanted to work there too see the "inside" of the magazine and what makes it "tick"

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sorry, to be clear, these cigars they take that rated 91 or higher from that year...

Do they review say, 2012 or 2011 releases in 2013?
Don Carlos and VSG were released over a decade ago, so yes any cigar on the market is fair game as long as CA reviewed it this past year.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whomever pays the most advertising money will determine the list. A bunch of horse crap IMO. Blind reviews and they only smoke an inch of each cigar. Example, Cigar of the year 2009 - Casa Magna??!?! Come on, really?
7-20-4 lancero scored a 92 in the most recent issue, highest rated cigar manufactured in Honduras and highest rated Lancero... never advertised with CA before. Remove the tinfoil caps gentlemen, its not nearly as bad as many think it is when it comes to advertising dollars having an effect on ratings.
Whether or not advertising has anything to do with it. They still only smoke one inch of a cigar for a review! They have verified this statement more than once in their personal blogs on the CA site. To me that is outrageous. And Gordon Mott trying to justify just smoking one inch is pathetic. Their reviews are useless.

Well if he only smokes one inch I'm surprised he gets any discernible flavors beyond char. In the one video he has the foot so scorched its black for a good 1/2 inch.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
The inch rule (at least where that's all they smoke) has been squashed. I can't remember exactly, but they smoke about half the cigar. I'm not saying that's still enough, but I am saying that it's more than most people think....