What's new

CA Cigar of the Year?

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Whomever pays the most advertising money will determine the list. A bunch of horse crap IMO. Blind reviews and they only smoke an inch of each cigar. Example, Cigar of the year 2009 - Casa Magna??!?! Come on, really?
I don't know if I have a problem with this one. ..I really liked the Casa, and they age beautifully.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could bet any of the L'Atelier are going to be high on the list...
Personally, i think the Tatuaje TAA 2013, some of the surrogates, and the Herrera Estelí should be on it....

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm not sure if CA reviewed it or not, but I think you could make a case for the EPC Short Run 2013 Robusto as well this year.

andysc83

Hack the Gibson!
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Herrera Esteli and the new Tat Black Corona Gorda are two of the best cigars I've smoked all year. Would atleast expect to see one of these on the list.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My favorite new release this year was the JD Howard Reserve HR46. They're so full of flavor and complexity.

Others that I wouldn't be surprised to see in the top 25:

CQ1
Illusione Rothchilde
Goldie No. 5
Leccia Black
Lat46
Ortega D Maduro

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I'd like to see a liga make the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ive always wondered why they havent, and i think its because they arent sold in enough stores? dont know if anyone can clarify ?
If you look at their reviews monthly, Ligas do not rate that well.
Well it is all a matter of preferance. For me I will smoke general and Altadis stuff ahead of liga. I know many here love liga the only ones I kinda enjoy are the OR#9's. One of the very few cigars I remember hating was the Pre release T52 pig. Still the worst cigar I have smoked this decade. That said I still respect the fact that they are good cigars just do to the fact that I respect so many smokers that love them. I think we all need to remember just cause I don't like them doesnt make them bad cigars
I think some of the testers CA use like more milder cigars. For the most part, members of this forum like stronger cigars, but that is not a good barometer of the average cigar smoker. Stronger cigars are growing in popularity, but the bulk of cigar smokers care for more medium and mild cigars. I am guessing CA uses a broad group of smokers for their reviews, in order to get a more encompassing opinion of the cigars.

These are good points. One other I've thought of is the potential effect that smoking a lot of Cuban cigars may have on their impressions of the fuller bodied Nicaraguan cigars. Point being that by comparison to good Cubans the Nicaraguans may come off as harsh and unrefined. May explain the ratings that the Ligas get.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ligas never make the list (or DE so I wouldn't put money on the HE making the list either)
My Father does a lot of advertising on the site so the El Centurion will DEFIANTLY make the list.
AB for sure for one (biggest advertiser)
Always at least 2 CC'c on the list; I would guess the Cohiba PE or the HdM LE 2013 and a regular release (No idea)
Maybe a tat (2011 list had one)
Probably an Oliva
No idea on everything else
Really?! If it were really even remotely based on criteria like this, the award would have no prestige whatsoever and it would be a joke. You may not agree with the winners, but it does mean quite a bit in the cigar community overall to be on the list. Funny list, but I don't agree at all.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
A gurkha will be at the top.
:laugh::laugh: :headroll: :headroll:
I'm sure this was written as a joke, but it looks like Gurkha got their first Top 25 cigar. As much as I love to bash on Kaizad and his pricing and marketing practices, I'm proud of Abe Flores for getting one of his cigars recognized even if it's a Gurkha. I haven't smoked the 125th Anniversary, but I'll pick it up if I see it in a shop.

Also, DE got recognized as well as Curivari. So much for the theory that this list is predictable based on advertising. I look forward to the CA Top 25 every year, even if I don't always agree with all of their selections.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Congrads to the Herrera Esteli for getting the number 8 on cigar aficionados list.. well deserved.

And I guess congrads to gurkha for getting the number 9 spot for the 125th..... a gurkha on the top 10 huh.... I guess that CI will stop offering 95% off on the cigar and start charging full price lol

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Congrads to the Herrera Esteli for getting the number 8 on cigar aficionados list.. well deserved.

And I guess congrads to gurkha for getting the number 9 spot for the 125th..... a gurkha on the top 10 huh.... I guess that CI will stop offering 95% off on the cigar and start charging full price lol
Yup! Kudos to HE and DE. Definitely well deserved.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
They only released 6-10, more over the next few days.

Weird, so I guess whatever made 25 is more top-secret than 6. lol
It's how they've released their list every year. 10-6 5-1 11-25.
So far I think they've done a tremendous job. HE is a phenom of a cigar minus a thin wrapper. Cuirivari lines are cigars that actually mimic CCs better than most. I used to smoke boxes of Don Carlos #3s. Not the same size but same profile. Ashton vsg I could smoke weekly and love everyone. Very good list so far CA!

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
So far I think they've done a tremendous job. HE is a phenom of a cigar minus a thin wrapper. Cuirivari lines are cigars that actually mimic CCs better than most. I used to smoke boxes of Don Carlos #3s. Not the same size but same profile. Ashton vsg I could smoke weekly and love everyone. Very good list so far CA!
Agreed, I was totally thrown by Gurkha (their justification in the video is plausible but I'm not buying one) but the others are pretty believable. I do wish CCs were more prominent in the Top 25 list. I know readers complain constantly when Cubans do well on the list, because they're theoretically not obtainable by Americans, but when you compare how Cubans do in their monthly tastings to the (small) number in the Top 25 list every year, you have to wonder.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So you're saying this doesn't work like VH1's countdown to the greatest songs of the 90s? This list IS a bunch of b.s.....just kidding.

It would be cool to hear from a company speak about sales they experience directly after the list comes out, I'll google that.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0

the 125th Anni is actually supposed to be price protected, so price won't likely change