What's new

Cabaiguan Guapo SG

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK, I gotta say it. I just am not all that impressed with these. I've tried a couple, one of them when I wasn't paying attention and thought I was grabbing an Edge. I thought they were OK, but not anything to write home to mom about. I guess that's why there are so many brands on the market...

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
OK, I gotta say it. I just am not all that impressed with these. I've tried a couple, one of them when I wasn't paying attention and thought I was grabbing an Edge. I thought they were OK, but not anything to write home to mom about. I guess that's why there are so many brands on the market...
I just purchased my second box. :blushlove :blushlove IMO This will be a classic.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Just tried the first one out of the 5er I bought. I didn't care for it - smoked about an inch and a half, and killed it. The taste it left in my mouth reminded me almost exactly of a Tropical Fever.

Most people seem to love the Guapos, so maybe it was a bum stick, or maybe I am the bum. I'll try another one sometimes and see. It's the same with 5 Vegas A's. Everyone seems to rave about them, but I have bought a bundle and a sampler, and I think they're awful, even at two bucks each.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So should I break the sealed bag and put them in my humidor or leave them in the bag and place them in the humidor ?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
So should I break the sealed bag and put them in my humidor or leave them in the bag and place them in the humidor ?
Remove from the bag, and put them in the humi. They will need a little airflow to age properly. If I need correcting, will someone let me know? But that is my take from what I've read.

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Just tried the first one out of the 5er I bought. I didn't care for it - smoked about an inch and a half, and killed it. The taste it left in my mouth reminded me almost exactly of a Tropical Fever.

Most people seem to love the Guapos, so maybe it was a bum stick, or maybe I am the bum. I'll try another one sometimes and see. It's the same with 5 Vegas A's. Everyone seems to rave about them, but I have bought a bundle and a sampler, and I think they're awful, even at two bucks each.
Agree on the Cinco vegas A's. Never have been able to figure out what others like about these. Strongly, emphatically, absolutely, respectfully disagree on the Guapos. :eyebrow:

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Remove from the bag, and put them in the humi. They will need a little airflow to age properly. If I need correcting, will someone let me know? But that is my take from what I've read.
Hi guys - just saw the question about the packaging - dpricenator is correct - once you receive them, they should be opened up and placed in your humi where more humid air can flow through them. Or ... you can light one up directly - that's the beauty of shipping this way!

Benzopyrene

BoM June 08
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
I dont like the 5 vegas, but the Guapos are great. Just got my box, but I did smoke one the other day that wsnt nearly as good as the first one I had. I think it would be wise to let them sit for a while, as some of them are probably a little more green than the others. I do think it is going to be classic though as well. Wish I had to the money to buy 3 or 4 boxes. Cheers.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
ok, it's been about a month, so I fired up another one...

this one tasted much better. however, it was obviously young. I can still taste the ammonia a little bit.

the wrapper also tattered pretty bad, but that might be the 60&#37; rh in the humidor i kept it in.

still not convinced to separate $200 from my wallet to lay a box down.

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I haven't smoked many Cabaiguans. This Guapo was a gift from Physiognomy on our way out to the first tee a few weekends back. Thank you so much Peter!

The Guapo is a very well constructed cigar, no soft spots, even, silky Colorado sun grown wrapper, only slight tooth. Abbreviated pigtail triple cap. The smell was very nice, and the taste cold was basic clean tobacco. The draw was almost a wind tunnel, not my favorite for detecting flavor nuances.

After torching, the first draw was straight cardboard. Over the first 1/2 inch, this improved to a slightly creamy and grassy flavor with tannic wine in the background.

The first third got really interesting. Sweet spicy cookies which made me think of ginger snaps. I was drawing infrequently and slowly, the smoke very cool, ash a tight white. I knocked the ash a little before the 2 inch mark. Light body and mild to medium strength.

The second third lost the sweetness, and built a smooth woody and creamy coffee flavor and still a slight spice underneath. I enjoyed the change in character. The ash turned a little more flaky and loose; landed on my shirt. First and only touch up was required.

After a purge, the final third picked up in body and strength, I'd say medium to both, without a noticable flavor change. Still very tasty. Lips tingling slightly and burning hotter, from both the loose draw and my increased frequency of draw. A little nic kick here.

Overall, I found this to be a very good cigar that was excellent now, and I feel would benefit from a little age, maybe not too much, and a firmer draw. Worth it to have in the humi without a doubt.