What's new

Caldwell and Lost & Found cigars. Relabeling old cigars?

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
On a side note, Caldwell claims some of this stuff thats being sold for crazy amounts isn't worth it. He said word for word: There's a reason we give things like the holy braile away for free at events. Because they don't want to sell them

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
But he does sell them.

A lot of the Caldwell entries lately appear to be a money grab. They do make some solid smokes, the JV line is appropriately priced and well constructed as an example. He seems to be continually raising the price to see where the ceiling is, almost like he wants to see exactly what he can get away with before people say enough is enough. The last czar @ $18/ea? Repackaged comacho for $14/ea? I'm not hating the concept or the company as I am a big fan of capitalism. However, I am more cautious than ever of buying from them and it will be interesting to see exactly how all this plays out in the next year or so. Marketing will only carry a company so far.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
On a side note, Caldwell claims some of this stuff thats being sold for crazy amounts isn't worth it. He said word for word: There's a reason we give things like the holy braile away for free at events. Because they don't want to sell them
Great story, but they most certainly do sell them as I paid $45 plus shipping for 3. Terrible cigars and I would've had a better time chucking that money out of the damn window. I've also had a Silent Shout and it wasn't good either with major burn and construction issues with flavor that peaked at being "meh." Now granted I only had one of each, but it was an experience I wouldn't want to relive and they were much closer to resembling dog rockets instead of super premiums. It's a great idea with great marketing but the actual product itself gargles my balls.

driver

Attitude + Effort = Results
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
But he does sell them.

A lot of the Caldwell entries lately appear to be a money grab. They do make some solid smokes, the JV line is appropriately priced and well constructed as an example. He seems to be continually raising the price to see where the ceiling is, almost like he wants to see exactly what he can get away with before people say enough is enough. The last czar @ $18/ea? Repackaged comacho for $14/ea? I'm not hating the concept or the company as I am a big fan of capitalism. However, I am more cautious than ever of buying from them and it will be interesting to see exactly how all this plays out in the next year or so. Marketing will only carry a company so far.
Sounds alot like Viaje

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Sounds alot like Viaje
When I think about the these 2 companies and the heads of them, I couldn't agree less, though I will say I have never spoken to either one personally and the majority of my thoughts come what I have gathered from watching interviews of each.

I feel that with Viaje, Andre has a genuine respect for the industry, with a quirky approach in his ideas for marketing. Many of times lately, I think a lot of his releases over the past couple years have missed their mark, accompanied with outlandish marketing, does lead people to question his intent, with quite a few consumers writing him off at this point. What I hear coming from Andre, is a vision for Viaje (similar to their beginning vision), and an acknowledgement of the recent past for the company and their product, and trying to get back to the point the company once was.
Caldwell on the other hand. I have yet to smoke any of his sticks, I have a few resting waiting to be lit in time, I have heard some generally good feedback about Caldwell cigars. I tuned in to a show to hear what the company and its founder was all about. I like vision, I like to hear what someone thinks of the industry, I like the art of it and the passion that cigar makers have for their artwork. What I was expecting was to hear the philosophy behind the art that is causing such a rave over these cigars. I really was thinking I was about to be blown away with knowledge and a vision that backed what people are saying are good cigars. Instead I got left with a bad taste in my mouth before I have even tried one. This may seem incomplete as a post. It is, I deleted some stuff as I'm refraining from delving in too far.

Anyhow I can't put Viaje and Caldwell/Lostandfound in the same boat.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Garron, mind sharing what show you heard the interview on? I'd be interested in having a listen.

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
When I think about the these 2 companies and the heads of them, I couldn't agree less, though I will say I have never spoken to either one personally and the majority of my thoughts come what I have gathered from watching interviews of each.

I feel that with Viaje, Andre has a genuine respect for the industry, with a quirky approach in his ideas for marketing. Many of times lately, I think a lot of his releases over the past couple years have missed their mark, accompanied with outlandish marketing, does lead people to question his intent, with quite a few consumers writing him off at this point. What I hear coming from Andre, is a vision for Viaje (similar to their beginning vision), and an acknowledgement of the recent past for the company and their product, and trying to get back to the point the company once was.
Caldwell on the other hand. I have yet to smoke any of his sticks, I have a few resting waiting to be lit in time, I have heard some generally good feedback about Caldwell cigars. I tuned in to a show to hear what the company and its founder was all about. I like vision, I like to hear what someone thinks of the industry, I like the art of it and the passion that cigar makers have for their artwork. What I was expecting was to hear the philosophy behind the art that is causing such a rave over these cigars. I really was thinking I was about to be blown away with knowledge and a vision that backed what people are saying are good cigars. Instead I got left with a bad taste in my mouth before I have even tried one. This may seem incomplete as a post. It is, I deleted some stuff as I'm refraining from delving in too far.

Agreed.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
No problem with it. I wouldn't buy them, at that price point I would rather spend my money on cigars that I've enjoy much more than any Camacho that I've ever smoked. That being said I'm not going to fault a company that's up front with it's practice and finding consumers willing to part with their cash.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense intended but I figure any guy who's spending more than ten bucks a stick online is getting suckered anyway. How is this any different?

driver

Rating - 100%
17   0   0

Viaje makes B&M buy all their lines not just the ones that will sell seems flawed to me!

Cigarth Vader

Official Jedi of BOTL.org
Retailer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I think it's important to make the distinction between Caldwell and Lost & Found. I've smoked nearly all of the L&F releases in the last 6 months and I'll echo that some have been good, and some not so much.

I for one think it's cool that they're [Tony, Robert & Jaclyn) are breathing new life into some of these old sticks, and while the marketing and hype may put some folks off, at the end of the day it's a side project and they're in it to make money.

That being said, when it comes to Caldwell, I think they've earned the right to ask for a higher price point on the latest release. They're offering lots of options from super premium down the the JV line (which are exceptional cigars).

Personally I can't afford to buy a box of Last Tsar, but hell I'll buy 2 an review it.
TL;DR
It just comes back down to the old adage that you should smoke what you like.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
All most every cigar manufacturer out here that produces any kind of limited releases does this in some form. Drew Estate, Tatuaje, Fuente, Padron... they all do this.
Yep, seems the only way to do it, why reward a retailer that only wants the stuff that sells out and doesn't support your brand.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Viaje makes B&M buy all their lines not just the ones that will sell seems flawed to me!
I don't see a problem with this. I understand how this used to be an issue once upon a time when they had both the Oro and Platino lines as regular releases and they would send additional quantities of these out whenever they felt like it regardless of whether or not retailers needed more. That's definitely an issue and if they go back to that approach with their regular release Exclusivo stuff I can see how that can get old quickly. But with the Viaje business model being a primarily seasonal release company, it only makes sense that all of the releases have to be bought by all retailers regardless of whether or not they sell well (and with Viaje stuff there isn't much way to know in advance whether or not any given release will be a hit or miss.) I doubt this retailer complains much about Super Shots, Zombies, Skull & Bones or Candy Canes though. And if they can't even sell that stuff then they probably shouldn't be a Viaje retailer at all.

driver

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I don't see a problem with this. I understand how this used to be an issue once upon a time when they had both the Oro and Platino lines as regular releases and they would send additional quantities of these out whenever they felt like it regardless of whether or not retailers needed more. That's definitely an issue and if they go back to that approach with their regular release Exclusivo stuff I can see how that can get old quickly. But with the Viaje business model being a primarily seasonal release company, it only makes sense that all of the releases have to be bought by all retailers regardless of whether or not they sell well (and with Viaje stuff there isn't much way to know in advance whether or not any given release will be a hit or miss.) I doubt this retailer complains much about Super Shots, Zombies, Skull & Bones or Candy Canes though. And if they can't even sell that stuff then they probably shouldn't be a Viaje retailer at all.
they have a box of skull and bones
I don't see a problem with this. I understand how this used to be an issue once upon a time when they had both the Oro and Platino lines as regular releases and they would send additional quantities of these out whenever they felt like it regardless of whether or not retailers needed more. That's definitely an issue and if they go back to that approach with their regular release Exclusivo stuff I can see how that can get old quickly. But with the Viaje business model being a primarily seasonal release company, it only makes sense that all of the releases have to be bought by all retailers regardless of whether or not they sell well (and with Viaje stuff there isn't much way to know in advance whether or not any given release will be a hit or miss.) I doubt this retailer complains much about Super Shots, Zombies, Skull & Bones or Candy Canes though. And if they can't even sell that stuff then they probably shouldn't be a Viaje r
I was in my B&M trying to talk him into selling a box of the Las Calaveras 2014 he showed me the stack of viaje he had I believe he said they're no longer a retailer he had skull and bones tnt Christmas trees and grabbed bagged the other crap. He led me to believe it's not just that they make him carry all the lines but it's the cost of the crapy stuff they end up losing $. Zombies I'd be all over but I love Zombies of any kind:)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
they have a box of skull and bones

I was in my B&M trying to talk him into selling a box of the Las Calaveras 2014 he showed me the stack of viaje he had I believe he said they're no longer a retailer he had skull and bones tnt Christmas trees and grabbed bagged the other crap. He led me to believe it's not just that they make him carry all the lines but it's the cost of the crapy stuff they end up losing $. I will say the Zombies I'd be all over but I love Zombies of any kind:)
I'd say if he advertised in the appropriate places and would be willing to ship it out he'd shift all that inside a weekend.