What's new

Cappuccino drinkers insight please!

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Every morning i grab a French vanilla cappuccino from the local stop n go... There's gotta be something better out there but i really enjoy a cappuccino with morning smokes. So my question is what do you guts drink and are there better options maybe with a mix that i can get in a store or maybe online?

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Make your own man... If you don't want to spend a lot of money, just buy a cheaper espresso machine and make your own. That way you can buy/drink good coffee and in the long run, you will save money by not having to buy out every day.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
From Amazon, get a $15-20 stovetop espresso pot and a $15 Aerolatte milk frother (I have both). Great espresso and the frother also does an amazing job of dissolving sugar in cocktails

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
From Amazon, get a $15-20 stovetop espresso pot and a $15 Aerolatte milk frother (I have both). Great espresso and the frother also does an amazing job of dissolving sugar in cocktails
Stovetop espresso pots are my fave
It's funny - I used to have an expensive espresso maker (a gift, but it was worth around $300 or so) and it crapped out after 1 year or two of relatively light service (5-6 cuppacinos per week). My stovepot, whose coffee I prefer) was bought a few years before I got the espresso maker and I still have it 15 years later.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Stovetop espresso pots are my fave
It's funny - I used to have an expensive espresso maker (a gift, but it was worth around $300 or so) and it crapped out after 1 year or two of relatively light service (5-6 cuppacinos per week). My stovepot, whose coffee I prefer) was bought a few years before I got the espresso maker and I still have it 15 years later.
Someone bought me mine. The flavor you get out of it is fantastic.

rev.b

Master of Mayhem * BoM 1/14
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
moka pots are nice and not to expensive at all

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I started using a French Press years ago because I got hooked on cappuccinos and Starbucks and was paying out about $100 a month...ridiculous. I got a good press and a manual bean grinder ( Porlex JP-30 Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder) and I've never looked back. The grinder is so good that I stopped using an electric burr grinder because I didn't want to pay hundreds of dollars for one that didn't put out the 'dust' from the beans. The JP doesn't have the dust nor does it create static electricity and I bought mine for $25 on sale.....it goes for around $50 on other places and it's better than most grinders over $100 anyway. It's super easy to make a cappuccino with the FP/grinder/milk frother with cinnamon on top..I can make 32 ounces in 4 minutes and much better than a coffee barrista can make for much cheaper.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
If someone wants espresso, you don't use a french press. I believe in "drink what you like" and I'm definitely no coffee snob, but a french press will give you good coffee, not espresso with crema.

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Looking at stove to pots on Amazon. There's different sizes obviously, but the smallest one i saw was a 6 cup. This may be a stupid question but what if i only want, say, 20 ounces at one time?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've lived off the $30 Mr. Coffee espresso maker you can get at Wallyworld or Target. Snobs will tell you it doesn't get hot enough, have enough capacity, and is pump versus steam fed, but in 10 years I've only replaced it once. I've had a variety of Stove Top espresso makers over the years and feel they have a tendency to get a burned flavor to them. QA /QC always varies on them as well which can cause a variety of interesting problems, up to and including blowing up your kitchen.

YMMV

DR

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
The 3 cup version if u truly will only make for 1 person, otherwise the 6 cup.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
second the little stove top "mokka pot", which is a work horse for those on a budget. there is really no good cheap espresso machine, but the stove top beastie is a solid compromise, and better by far than a lot of "mid-range" espresso machines, IMO.

little trick? you can use a french press to froth and separate warmed milk. use the stove top, microwave the dairy, and then plunge and replunge the milk in a FP until you have decent separation. pour carefully, and you got a solid set up for mock caps and lattes for about $40. plus, if you are a coffee nerd, it requires two pieces of equipment you're gonna want anyway.

o)

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If someone wants espresso, you don't use a french press. I believe in "drink what you like" and I'm definitely no coffee snob, but a french press will give you good coffee, not espresso with crema.
Oh contraire.....one can make espresso with FP and I've been doing it for years.
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Espresso-Beverages-With-a-French-Press

What makes an espresso so good is the hot water shooting through the beans and while FP isn't the BEST way for espresso doesn't mean you can't make it with one. Some like espresso not so strong ( me ) so I use the fine grind and use the hottest water I can put into the FP ( I don't use the glass FP but rather a strong plastic one that can withstand the high temps ) and depending on the beans is according to tastes. If one loves espresso and loves it strong then yes. FP is not going to give you what you want as far as a much stronger flavor but it will let you have a "light version" of it and as has been said..it's all about individual tastes.