What's new

Cappuccino drinkers insight please!

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
actually, gary, no, "espresso" by definition requires pressure, specifically 9 BAR. it's not just the temperature, but that is part of it, it's more the force of the steam essentially blasting the maximum amount of oils out of the grounds within the minimum amount of time. even a mokka pot only gets up to 1.5ish BAR, and it will generate much more pressure during the brew than a french press.

then again, i agree with you in that the FP makes a cup with a much richer mouth feel, so using that (or even an aeropress) for an espresso-based drink works, depending on your palate. it isn't a straight correlary, but it is one i have myself been happy with before, and will again.

and, end of the day, as long as it makes yummy yummy coffee, it still counts, right?

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I personally like a FP and I let it steep for about 30 seconds then I press the living s*** out of it! Then bam magic happens..

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
actually, gary, no, "espresso" by definition requires pressure, specifically 9 BAR. it's not just the temperature, but that is part of it, it's more the force of the steam essentially blasting the maximum amount of oils out of the grounds within the minimum amount of time. even a mokka pot only gets up to 1.5ish BAR, and it will generate much more pressure during the brew than a french press.

then again, i agree with you in that the FP makes a cup with a much richer mouth feel, so using that (or even an aeropress) for an espresso-based drink works, depending on your palate. it isn't a straight correlary, but it is one i have myself been happy with before, and will again.

and, end of the day, as long as it makes yummy yummy coffee, it still counts, right?
Absolutely...I can remember the days when I used to drink espressos and my eyeballs felt like they were bulging out of their sockets so I had to tone it down.

Hoshs' post cracked me up.....I personally like a FP and I let it steep for about 30 seconds then I press the living s*** out of it! Then bam magic happens..

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0

Absolutely...I can remember the days when I used to drink espressos and my eyeballs felt like they were bulging out of their sockets so I had to tone it down.

Hoshs' post cracked me up.....I personally like a FP and I let it steep for about 30 seconds then I press the living s*** out of it! Then bam magic happens..
Why you guys give me hard time? :p

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
This wasn't intended to be a debate thread lol! I just want a got damn cappuccino that tastes better and doesn't cost me so much. Way to go Rex for making everyone mad!

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Get an espresso maker...you can try all you want, but an aeropress or FP isn't making espresso. It's making coffee and there is a big difference. It may not matter to you in the end and then you can choose to do as you wish.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I don't want something strong as all get out. I despise coffee. i should totally be banned.
we can help with that...

EDIT: you want a good mock gas station capp? coffee-mate italian cream creamer, instant coffee, hot chocolate mix, milk, and your sweetener of choice. my lady does a fake frappuccino (LF with truvia and FF hot choc mix), and it is hella cheaper. also the dry ingredients can be mixed in advance, and it can be mixed up cold, so it is a time saver for her to go breakfasts. it's an abomination, but it keeps her happy. o)

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I don't want something strong as all get out. I despise coffee. i should totally be banned.
we can help with that...

EDIT: you want a good mock gas station capp? coffee-mate italian cream creamer, instant coffee, hot chocolate mix, milk, and your sweetener of choice. my lady does a fake frappuccino (LF with truvia and FF hot choc mix), and it is hella cheaper. also the dry ingredients can be mixed in advance, and it can be mixed up cold, so it is a time saver for her to go breakfasts. it's an abomination, but it keeps her happy. o)
I'm guessing yes that's what I'm looking for without trying it first. What ratios does she mix everything?

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
See thats why I asked, java is right you can make a coffee cappuccino like you get pretty easy. Everyone else was talking about a espresso based one which is completley different. Im probably going to try one with my fp like flyboy was talking about until I get a moka pot.
can I use my same beans and grind from my fp for a moka pot?

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
... What ratios does she mix everything?
her current is a 24ish oz aluminum bottle, one heaping TBSP instant coffee, three truvia, one fat free hot choc mix. we make about three week's worth, and store them dry. then, drop about an oz to 1 1/2 oz of that creamer mate FF italian cream creamer stuff, and top with water (a little hot to dissolve everything, and the rest cold, ususally works). as i said, this is an abomination in the eyes of kaldi AND his goats, but it works for her, as a cost- and calorie-effective alternative to bottled starbucks' fappuccinos. use more real dairy, make warm instead of cold, change the flavors used, drop the fat-afraid alternatives, whatever works. hell, use soy or almond if you wanna go that route. just play around until you have something that works for you.

... can I use my same beans and grind from my fp for a moka pot?
you need coffee beans in a coffee maker, and that is the only real requirement. as the moka makes a concentrated cup, i would use a darker roast, as it has less caffeine and acidity by and large. you will wanna go with a MUCH different grind; FP uses medium-coarse, and the moka needs an espresso fine grind. or at least as close as you can get.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Ryan I can show you how to do this. It's super easy and I can make it strong as horse balls and it will still taste like yummy town.