What's new

"cellaring" your tobacco

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
So how do you guys "cellar" your tobacco, i see reference to this all the time and assumed it was in a cool dark place such as the basement, personally i dont have one and just keep mine in intact tins in bankers boxes or in mason jars in bankers boxes in the closet, its typically pretty stable temperature/humidity wise, staying 68-73, I do have a nice cool conditioned crawl space.....but that means id have to get under there to check anything out, any issues with long term storage with what im doin now for those of you that actually do it

pictures as always are appreciated

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Out of direct sunlight is fine. Use Mason jars if the seal is broken on the tins. Microwave the Mason jars to warm them prior to filling and sealing. Don't leave too much airspace. Like don't put a 1/2 ounce in a quart jar. I use mostly ball jelly jars.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Lamo. The cabinet I got off of craigsthingy for 100.00 it's in my smoking man cave in the basement. Cool dark place. The great thing about baccy is if it dries out, who gives a fluck. I spread out what I'm gonna pack on a plastic place mat and spritz it with distilled water. That tip came from a long time pipe smoker/shop owner.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I store mine in the masons with the lids on pretty tight never thought to microwave them to get the seal better
I just read that on another forum not long ago. Kinda like canning. Mine usually get jarred right out of the dishwasher still warm so I haven't tried that trick yet myself. Just wanted to share what I learned with ya.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
I did consider using some wax to get a better seal...for long term storage on some bigger bulk purchases, but think I'm gonna stick to the smaller jars from here on as it would take me forever to smoke through an 8 oz jar of anything

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
I would totally love to do something nice presentation wise, however that is totally depend any on what the boss says, have a few cabinets with glass inserts but then she may know how much I actually buy!

Rating - 100%
163   0   0

Older pic
Alright, so I am counting just shy of 30 pipes in that picture. How do you decide which pipe to smoke?
Hahaha like I said, old pic. I'm at over 50+ now. We'll let's see. My methodology here, I use church wardens for wet or a baccy that likes to bite my tongue. I use my freehand large pipes when I'm chilling in my smoking room, smaller bents when I'm looking for some quiet time. My Rhodesians, bulldogs, authors get smoked to and from work. Those get rotated. Meers and cobs are for new aros or blends that I don't know about to try.

Dave displaying them is awesome but keep a foot locker or trunk for the excess so she don't know.