Cello: Yea or Nea?

Cello: Yea or Nea

• Total voters

Fidel

Deceased Dictator
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Oh I don`t know...
This thread has had a certain entertainment value from time to time.

:grin:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's REALLY ironic is I just received 40 or so unboxed, CELLO'ed singles and I was about to ask this question...boy, I'm glad I didn't ask!!! Most did have the cello on so is there any advantage (other than the how they look or for aging) to removing the cello? I do alot of arranging and I'd like to make sure the ones I have aren't being beaten up when I play Rainman...DEFINATELY, DEFINATELY Romeo's DEFINATELY need to be on the bottom and Cohibas...yeah, DEFINATELY, yeah...need to be on top! DEFINATELY Wal-mart...For any I offend, I apologize ahead of time!

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Here's some new info I just learned.

A friend I know got a box of cigars in cello when the previous boxes were non cello. The cigars tasted different and couldn't figure it out.

Well, my buddy decided to unpack all the sticks and toss the cello...after 2 months the cigars were back to the way they used to taste. He figured that the cigars were stuck in the cello while a little too wet and never had a chance to shed the excess humidity.

Now I'm not saying that cello is bad, it's just another device that you have to think about when it comes to long term storage and it's completely up to you...I don't think that there will ever be a consensus decision about "On or Off" that will work.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
So here's a question from the noob:

Some of the winnings I get from CBid come with apparently sealed plastic wrappings (not typical celo), such as tins of Romeo y Julietta, pre-packaged Vintage Seconds, etc.

Does this plastic wrapping essentially count as celo (meaning it's just a matter of choice) or do you think it's maybe too airtight and should be removed? I'm asking because I'm going to get some Vintage Seconds for the purpose of aging them for at least 6 months, and although it would be more manageable in my tupperdor to leave them packaged, if it will help the aging to unwrap and then uncelo them, I can do that too.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Fidel

Deceased Dictator
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
So here's a question from the noob:

Some of the winnings I get from CBid come with apparently sealed plastic wrappings (not typical celo), such as tins of Romeo y Julietta, pre-packaged Vintage Seconds, etc.

Does this plastic wrapping essentially count as celo (meaning it's just a matter of choice) or do you think it's maybe too airtight and should be removed? I'm asking because I'm going to get some Vintage Seconds for the purpose of aging them for at least 6 months, and although it would be more manageable in my tupperdor to leave them packaged, if it will help the aging to unwrap and then uncelo them, I can do that too.

Thanks!
That is probably polyethylene - not the same as cello. It doesn`t breathe so I always remove it. Cello crackles-poly doesn`t.

Chuck (CWS) is the forum authority on the subject. I`m sure he`ll give you more help if you need it:stretchgr

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Thanks Fidel. That's pretty much what I thought.

As far as cello goes, I've been leaving it on just to protect the wrapper, unless they are stored in a box, then I take it off.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Man, I'm just looking at the locations of people on this ONE PAGE and I see OH, Cincinnati, Dayton, OH (me) and Indy. IF that's any indication, there are a lot of us in this area. We should have a regional herf sometime :)

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
Man, I'm just looking at the locations of people on this ONE PAGE and I see OH, Cincinnati, Dayton, OH (me) and Indy. IF that's any indication, there are a lot of us in this area. We should have a regional herf sometime :)
just make sure you keep your cello on! :pokemyeye

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to leave the cello on the bulk of my collection when I store large quantities in my bigger humidors to protect the wrappers. I move a few of each to my smaller "working" humi which is where I grab the sticks from when I smoke them. I think they tend to age more evenly and completely when taken out of the cello, but that's just my own opinion. So my answer is really "I leave them on then take them off a few days or weeks before I smoke them".

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I tend to leave the cello on the bulk of my collection when I store large quantities in my bigger humidors to protect the wrappers. I move a few of each to my smaller "working" humi which is where I grab the sticks from when I smoke them. I think they tend to age more evenly and completely when taken out of the cello, but that's just my own opinion. So my answer is really "I leave them on then take them off a few days or weeks before I smoke them".

I store most of my cigars in old cigar boxes, so I think I'm going to go cello-off for most of those since they're well protected. I tend to store cigars of the same wrapper type in the same box (yes, I am a tiny bit OCD), so even IF there is a chance of flavor blending I don't think it will be a problem.

I figure it it helps aging, great, if not I haven't lost anything.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I pretty much took all my cello off recently. This was simply because I read on several sites (I think the Oliva site was one of them) that this is better for aging. Since I have a couple years worth of cigars at this point, many of them will end up being "aged" by default, lol.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Cello can breath, so the aging should not be impared. So do the tubes. Though if it's a matter of personal taste, do what ye like!