What's new

Chevy Colorado or Nissan Frontier?

Which Truck Should I Purchase?

• Total voters

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
So I'm considering selling my Ford Ranger and getting something about the same size, but four door. Thus far, I've considered gas mileage, practicality, size, and various options and have narrowed it down to a Chevy Colorado or a Nissan Frontier. If you have any suggestions please mention them! I wouldn't mind a Toyota Tacoma, but they are a little more costly than these two. I would get one if I found one in my price range. Which do you think I should get? The two I'm eying are on Auto Trader and pics are below. There is one of each that I'm considering; they are about the same price, but the Nissan has 20k more miles. However, the Nissan does run slightly more than the Chevy. The Frontier is also rated better by the editors of edmunds dot com, earning an 8.1 as opposed to Colorado's 6.5. The Frontier also has a V6, whereas the Colorado has a straight 5. However, and I know how fickle this sounds, I really like the look of the Colorado better! That's not the only reason I have considered it though. This particular one also has a Z71 packages (not that I need it or am looking for it, but it helps). In the end, I will most likely choose the vehicle with highest value and that's most practical. Anyway, a penny for your thoughts? Also, please comment on any specific features you feel would support or discourage your desire to purchase them.

Thanks!

(click vehicle name for link)

2007 Nissan Frontier

2006 Chevrolet Colorado

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
well i've driven the 06 version of both and it comes down to what your looking for in a truck. I drove the colorado helping my friend move from CA to Houston TX, and the frontier was a company truck i used to make runs to AZ. Note both ones i drove were standard transmissions here are the key points.

Long Road Trips
chevy better gas mileage if you keep it under 70mph but frontier is roomier and more comfortable ride.
Hauling/towing a large heavy load, feel more secure in the chevy.

City Driving/Day to Day
Frontier is more comfortable and responsive. chevy get much better mileage.
My friend did tell me that you got service it regularly to keep it running smooth, you know rotate tires change oil, etc. put the service off acouple times on frontier due to being in the middle of the run to yuma but no problems.

in the end it's what you value, if its mileage and hauling chevy. If driving the wife and kids around or going out with the guys nissan.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
well i've driven the 06 version of both and it comes down to what your looking for in a truck. I drove the colorado helping my friend move from CA to Houston TX, and the frontier was a company truck i used to make runs to AZ. Note both ones i drove were standard transmissions here are the key points.

Long Road Trips
chevy better gas mileage if you keep it under 70mph but frontier is roomier and more comfortable ride.
Hauling/towing a large heavy load, feel more secure in the chevy.

City Driving/Day to Day
Frontier is more comfortable and responsive. chevy get much better mileage.
My friend did tell me that you got service it regularly to keep it running smooth, you know rotate tires change oil, etc. put the service off acouple times on frontier due to being in the middle of the run to yuma but no problems.

in the end it's what you value, if its mileage and hauling chevy. If driving the wife and kids around or going out with the guys nissan.

Awesome input, thanks! I'll probably use it for commuting to work (primarily interstate driving at 70 mph) and occasionally towing an 8' trailer. For the family, we'll probably use my wife's jeep grand cherokee most of the time. But, I am getting the four door so that we can use my truck if need be. For the time I have the truck, the kid(s) will be small. The only concern is a car seat... I would probably be better off with the Frontier in that respect... Man, decisions, decisions!

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm actually looking for a small truck or a 2011 Jeep Unlimited. As far as the trucks,my rankings are as follows:

1. Toyota Tacoma
2. Nissan Frontier
3. Ford Ranger...My first car
4. Chevy...Cold day in hell...I would rather drive a Smart car.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
3. Ford Ranger...My first car
Yeah, that's what I have now is a Ranger and I am very pleased with it. I was shocked to find that it had a lower rating that the Colorado and the Frontier in 2007, which is about the range I'm looking at. The editors of Edmunds gave it a rating of 6.3, even lower than the Colorado's 6.5! This was due to "Cramped interior, choppy ride, subpar handling and braking, lacks modern-day safety and convenience features." I also favor Ford due to their not taking any bailout money.

4. Chevy...Cold day in hell...I would rather drive a Smart car.
:rofl:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go for the Nissan. A couple years ago I helped my Father-in-law find a truck. He told me to just pick something that I wouldn't mind having. So I searched on the internet for sometime basically I looked at Toyota and Nissan didn't even consider Chevy. I found a Nissan Frontier on Craigslist it was 2005 Frontier with the Nismo Package which is along the lines of the Z71 Colorado your looking at. So far he has been happy with it. He uses it for work and to pick the grandkids up from school, no problem holding a couple of car seats in the back. Its got the V6 in it and the previous owner told us that it has no problem pulling a 16' travel trailer. Oh, and then there is the resale value which would probably much higher that the Chevy. I hope this helps in your decision brother.

John.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually, the decision should be easy...

How tall are you and how many kids do you have? (rear legroom when you are in the drivers seat) because the car seat is a killer for BOTH trucks.

Now, the easiest way to determine?

occasionally towing an 8' trailer
2006 Chevy 5 cyl - 220 hp, 225 lb-ft

2007 Nissan V6 - 261 HP, 281 ft lb

20% more HP, 25% more torque in the Nissan.

:cbig:

That was difficult for me, considering I'm a Dodge Owner!

and

I ain't posting the pic of the wife's Grand Caravan...