What's new

Chicago HERF - Dec. 2, 2017

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
View attachment 104701

Well... I just got back from The Cigar Lounge and I'm going to apologize now for double posting my purchase here and in the "latest purchase" thread. First off, Jason and Mike are amazing guys! They gave me a full tour of all the rooms, walked me through the humidor and showed off everything they had (which was (y) hot damn!), and then we talked about the HERF. They have a couple different rooms, all with TVs and plenty of seating, including a more private conference room with a TV and table/chairs. They said they're working with the City of Schaumburg about a BYO license, which hopefully they can obtain after they start the renovations in February-ish. For us, they'd like me to give them a call back next week Tues/Wed with a roundabout head count to reserve our space. They said they will close off a section of a room for us, or if we have enough people an entire room for us. They said to reserve a space like that, it would be $100 no matter the amount of people (5 or 50). Since I took on creating the HERF, I'll front the money for the room reservation. Being the holidays and having lots of little nieces and nephews running around, I will absolutely take contributions for the room reservation, but I don't expect it.

As for pricing for lounging, they don't have strict rules on it. They said casually, if you're here using our lounge, buy a cigar or 2. If you come in and buy a $5 cigar and stay for 6 hours, you're a dick (which I agree!). But pretty much, if you're there, smoke their cigars. If you smoke your own, buy back what you smoke. Sounds fair to me! I was there for quit a bit which scares me because I have a feeling I'll be a frequent visitor. I was never there before they got bought by CDM about 7 weeks ago, but it sounds like they're headed in the right direction and they're striving to be the next big lounge in Chicago that everyone wants to visit. Kudos to them!

If you guys have any other questions about my visit, feel free to ask. Cheers to hopefully a great HERF and a big turnout!

EDIT: They promised to have some UF4s in stock for us that weekend. I don't know about you, but I'm excited to finally get my hands on a few!
Good to hear! I was never impressed with that place previously

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
that really isnt bad though considering. . . id be happy to throw $10 into the pool for that
i disagree. if you set up a herf, you are pretty much guaranteeing 15-25 bucks per person in cigar purchases. the 100$ on top of that is unnecessary, especially considering that all other cigar lounges will set aside a space for free...
i *DO* like the "buy back what you smoke" policy. i dont trust very many lounge humidors. ill usually buy smokes and take them home so they can re-acclimate in my humi.
if i can make it out, ill try and bring a bottle... we'll see if they say anything about it.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0

i disagree. if you set up a herf, you are pretty much guaranteeing 15-25 bucks per person in cigar purchases. the 100$ on top of that is unnecessary, especially considering that all other cigar lounges will set aside a space for free...
i *DO* like the "buy back what you smoke" policy. i dont trust very many lounge humidors. ill usually buy smokes and take them home so they can re-acclimate in my humi.
if i can make it out, ill try and bring a bottle... we'll see if they say anything about it.
Valid point. I guess I was already expecting something like that. Any place, whether a cigar shop or not usually has some kind of a deposit when looking to secure a room/space

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about the $100 reservation fee. Last night when I was there and it was brought up, I didn't think much of it. This morning I've been thinking more on it. It seems like the reason they want that is so they can guarantee us a reserved space for the group. However, your argument of coming in with a handful of guys and buying their cigars should be enough. Depending on our head count next week, I'll talk to Mike when I make the reservation. If we have around 5 guys, I'll say the $100 fee is pointless and we'd rather take our chances finding space, I'm sure we'll be fine. If we have 10-15, that $100 might be worth it, especially if we all chip in $5-$10, but I'll bring up to Mike the amount of business we'll be bringing and try and get it dropped. I'd much rather spend that on cigars or Xmas gifts for the family

Thanks for the input all!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Good to hear of your conversation, especially the "buy back what you smoke" portion.

When I was in there last Tuesday, I bought a $20+ OpusX and a $7 Room 101 Papi Chulo. When Jason came back to the lounge, he asked how the Opus was smoking, but I told him I was actually smoking my own cigar (Partagas Anejado). Jason told me no problem this time, but in the future they would impose a cutting fee to smoke your own cigar. I mentioned how I always bought more than I smoked when I came there (or any B&M) so I figured they were making the same from me regardless. I didn't push it, but where it was left then was there would be a cutting fee (which would probably have me unbanding my cigars, buying a similar size, and smoking my own). It's good to hear that "buy back what you smoke" might ne the new order of the day.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear of your conversation, especially the "buy back what you smoke" portion.

When I was in there last Tuesday, I bought a $20+ OpusX and a $7 Room 101 Papi Chulo. When Jason came back to the lounge, he asked how the Opus was smoking, but I told him I was actually smoking my own cigar (Partagas Anejado). Jason told me no problem this time, but in the future they would impose a cutting fee to smoke your own cigar. I mentioned how I always bought more than I smoked when I came there (or any B&M) so I figured they were making the same from me regardless. I didn't push it, but where it was left then was there would be a cutting fee (which would probably have me unbanding my cigars, buying a similar size, and smoking my own). It's good to hear that "buy back what you smoke" might ne the new order of the day.
Hmm interesting! Seem to have 2 slightly different stories here. Maybe we need some clarity on it, but as it stands they sound pretty fair and reasonable with everything. Especially since they're trying to build the shops name back up

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Hmm interesting! Seem to have 2 slightly different stories here. Maybe we need some clarity on it, but as it stands they sound pretty fair and reasonable with everything.
quite a few places have a "cutting fee" for bringing in your own cigars...i see signs for it at almost every lounge. but thats the first ive ever heard of someone even threatening of enforcing it. honestly, as long as you are buying back what you smoke, their bottom line isnt affected. i dont see what the big deal is...
Hopefully Jason discussed it with his partners and they rethought it. No reason to charge a cutting fee if I buy more in number or value than I bring to smoke. I agree with both of you, I'll see if I can pop in one day before the herf and broach the subject with Jason again.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully Jason discussed it with his partners and they rethought it. No reason to charge a cutting fee if I buy more in number or value than I bring to smoke. I agree with both of you, I'll see if I can pop in one day before the herf and broach the subject with Jason again.
Not a bad idea! Let me know when you go. I'm 18 minutes away. I'd be down for a quick smoke NOT freezing my ass off

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
I agree about the $100 reservation fee. Last night when I was there and it was brought up, I didn't think much of it. This morning I've been thinking more on it. It seems like the reason they want that is so they can guarantee us a reserved space for the group. However, your argument of coming in with a handful of guys and buying their cigars should be enough. Depending on our head count next week, I'll talk to Mike when I make the reservation. If we have around 5 guys, I'll say the $100 fee is pointless and we'd rather take our chances finding space, I'm sure we'll be fine. If we have 10-15, that $100 might be worth it, especially if we all chip in $5-$10, but I'll bring up to Mike the amount of business we'll be bringing and try and get it dropped. I'd much rather spend that on cigars or Xmas gifts for the family

Thanks for the input all!

If it's a $100 fee just for the room, I think that's a bit steep. If it's $100 minimum purchases, like a mini version of the $250/mo at Casa, I'd be fine with it. We'll hit that no problem.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Not a bad idea! Let me know when you go. I'm 18 minutes away. I'd be down for a quick smoke NOT freezing my ass off
Very good, I'll let you know when I am going to swing by.

I agree that they should forgo the $100 fee if we get 7 or 8 guys or more, we'll likely spend double that just with that many guys.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good, I'll let you know when I am going to swing by.

I agree that they should forgo the $100 fee if we get 7 or 8 guys or more, we'll likely spend double that just with that many guys.
Hell, I spent $90.00 there last night and didn't even smoke a cigar. So yes, I think we'd have no problem buying that in cigars, if not much more

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
A: I can’t make it. Shift day. Terribly sorry to miss the annual holiday Chicago Herf
B: I’d pay 10 bucks to attend and I rather just give the owner 20 and have them let me smoke whatever the hell I want. 30 dollars for a night out isn’t much to me now days with limited time.
Have fun gents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A: I can’t make it. Shift day. Terribly sorry to miss the annual holiday Chicago Herf
B: I’d pay 10 bucks to attend and I rather just give the owner 20 and have them let me smoke whatever the hell I want. 30 dollars for a night out isn’t much to me now days with limited time.
Have fun gents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I might not know you yet, but I'm sure you'll be missed! If this Herf goes well, I'd love to get these things rolling every few months over here. So for now, I say maybe next time!

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0

Have fun gents
I'm bummed I won't finally get to meet you, but I totally understand the life of shift work after 30 years. Be safe, hope to see you another time.