What's new

Cigar Aficionado

Is Cigar Aficionado worth $19.95 for 12 issues a year?

• Total voters

Bob_in_toronto

Live Today
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I happen to like cigar aficionado for a couple of reasons.

Over the last few years, it has been able to raise the profile of cigar smokers and popularize "tasting cigars". Times change, and as cost increase, there is an increasing need for advertising. Some good some bad, some just
why is it there in the first place.

I've always enjoyed having the magazine. In general it is work friendly and I've used it at work and home to introduce friends to cigars. I've had 4 or 5 cigar nights.

Cigar ratings, well are they now based on users contributing or are they now based on manufactors advertising dollars? Again that's part of the business and we should accept that fact too. Unfortunately in Canada, the extreme cost of cigars forces alot of us to seek alternative distribution channels. Magazines like cigar aficionado cannot and in my view should visibly support these channels. They provide mainstream advertising, enable resturants, clubs, and ??? to provide large scale smoking events, and

... I just like the magazine.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Cigar ratings, well are they now based on users contributing or are they now based on manufactors advertising dollars? Again that's part of the business and we should accept that fact too.
I don't think we should. I want the magazine to be honest and not reccomend items because Fuente has 15 ads

Bob_in_toronto

Live Today
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reality of life is that we are always presented with opinions on what is best.

Accordingly, manufactors must present their product as "best" or why would we try it?

The idea that I was searching for "acceptance" is related to the idea that all want to be perceived as the best.

Through "our" tastings, blogs, and sharing of what works and does not work, we supply knowledge that help us discern fact from fantansy, advertising hype, from truely good cigars. The advertising hype helps create the preception, and our reviews, blogs, helps fellow cigars lovers make informed decisions.

Hope this helps...

by the way, I am a newbie to the group, but have enjoyed cigars for years ....

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Oh certainly. It would be nice to have all of that in a magazine that is not subject to the pressures of advertising revenue.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I don't think we should. I want the magazine to be honest and not reccomend items because Fuente has 15 ads
It would be nice Tom but human nature and business is always going to skew the ratings. I was comparing Cigar Mag, Smoke and CA. Each has its own bent. Thats whyI like our own reviews. I would rather hear what you, Todd or HB has to say than someone who lives on advertising revenues. What thier reviews do is make me aware of new and different cigars as they should.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I was suppose to receive a "free" one year subscription to CA for a purchase. Have yet to get first issue!:dunno:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
It would be nice Tom but human nature and business is always going to skew the ratings. I was comparing Cigar Mag, Smoke and CA. Each has its own bent. Thats whyI like our own reviews. I would rather hear what you, Todd or HB has to say than someone who lives on advertising revenues. What thier reviews do is make me aware of new and different cigars as they should.
Yea I know....it would be great to live in a peaceful world too

Knowing my Dad he probably just rememberd. :rofl:
:rofl: Picking on the old guy

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Nope.

I used to love it in the early 90's when I got into cigars and there was nothing else to read.

Now I realize it's mostly fluff and arrogance with little useful content on cigars.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I voted no. Had subscribed to it for like 2 years and although they come out with some, and I say some, interesting articles, on the whole, the lifestyle of it is way out of my league.

Besides, I can do to Border's and read it for FREE there like everyone else!