What's new

Cigar Band Marketing

USCG Cigar Newb

USCG Cigar Newb
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ok, so I just realized that I am a big sucker for cigar marketing and a good looking band. In my go to humidor I have MOWs, MUWAT, AB Black Market, Diesels (decent looking but nothing special), AVE Maria, La Sirena and Obsidian... I have other cigars I have gotten from recommendations from others, but the ones I listed above I bought (and actually enjoyed) based largely on the band. So maybe most of you guys are not suckers like me, but I was wondering, how much of a role does marketing and the bands play? Do you guys tend to get the cigars with bands that are more manly, artistic or what?

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I will admit, I've almost bought AVE Maria because of the band. If I were dream up a band, that is what I would've come up with.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
A well designed band can certainly help the odds of your cigar being noticed, but I think most here will agree that there'd better be some substance to back up the visual. Tats don't have extravagant bands and they are some of my favorite cigars (and many around here will agree). I do like the Ave Maria too though. The Black Market and Obsidian have rather obscenely large bands in my opinion.

Dan

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Has absolutely no affect on my buying. I'll admit I like a nice looking band and the Ave Maria is pretty nice looking, but then I read what the cigar blend is, reviews etc before I buy anything. If it doesn't sound like something I would enjoy, a simple pass.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
What about the inverse? What about a cigar that may or may not be to your liking, but the band design is repulsive/cheesy? Does it become harder to buy the cigar because of "bad design?"

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
What about the inverse? What about a cigar that may or may not be to your liking, but the band design is repulsive/cheesy? Does it become harder to buy the cigar because of "bad design?"
If I like the cigar, I wouldn't care. If the band was that hideous, just take it off. If I don't like the cigar it doesn't matter cause I'm not going to buy more anyway.

Dan

calgon

stevesmoke
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
The band can be a factor... I am very into how a company represents itself. The packaging and band are a direct representation of the company. I wouldn't pass on any cigar because the band, i am not smoking the band. But I do a appreciate a nice look.

USCG Cigar Newb

USCG Cigar Newb
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well though it seems as if I am a bigger sucker than most for marketing and bands, I do have to say though that luckily I love those cigars. I think though that it may keep me from branching out to others though...

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I try not to keep ugly bands in my humidor. Safe bets for shelf space are Cohiba, Monte, Bolivar, Opus, etc. I keep the Viaje Skull & Bones as my novelty drawer.

If a cigar has no band, that is ok too.

Ugly bands are bad ju ju.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Companies do not want buyers remorse, if they put effort into the products packaging presentation(band, box, etc), then you are more inclined to not feel remorse for your purchase, purchase again. Most consumers link the packaging to the actual product, if the packaging is quality, well executed then the consumer usually believes that the product is as high of quality as its packaging.

This concept has been embossed into my brain for 4 years as a marketing student.

This doesnt always happen in the cigar industry, well because we all know that you cant judge a book by its cover in this hobby.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I don't buy based on bands but band does help get your attention and make me want to learn more about the stick. Generally a low cost stick with an elaborate band = yard gar

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Has absolutely no affect on my buying. I'll admit I like a nice looking band and the Ave Maria is pretty nice looking, but then I read what the cigar blend is, reviews etc before I buy anything. If it doesn't sound like something I would enjoy, a simple pass.

this x3

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
realize we on this forum are on a far edge of a spectrum. the once a year hyper casual all the way through the freaks who actually follow production details and market trends (us!).

they aim the BLEND at us. they aim the PACKAGING at everyone, but especially those who have nothing but impulse (and possibly a friend or b&m staff) to guide them. never underestimate curb appeal.

USCG Cigar Newb

USCG Cigar Newb
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I guess another reason I may be such a sucker is that I have always loved art, moms an art teacher, and I keep all my bands and want to do a bunch of various cigar art for my man room. I know I have to be careful though to not buy for the band but for the cigar, or else that would be some expensive artwork if I were just buying for the bands. Follow up question, for people like me, what would you say are some great cigars with unassuming or maybe even ugly bands?