What's new

Cigar Molds Thread

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
That's got a few things going for it. when together, it's fairly level and, the splitting is spaced out between channels.
clean it up, hit it with a dampened cloth, get it into a nice level pressing. if you don't have a proper press, get it in between two flat pieces of something. wood, steel. (maybe you want to get some cased tobacco in it?)
you'll want to leave it under pressure when it's in use or not. this will help it come together.
If your using c-clamps, get a few on there. if you have a floor jack, rap it in a chain. the idea is to give it some new memory.
I did this at first.
.. a foot stool on it's side..

The thing is, because the splitting is spaced out between channels, when you go to rotate them round, you'll rotate between channels. that would get the marks out. do it a few times.
You could fill it in.
If the split channels are not floating around I wouldn't mess with them.

I use molds like that just fine.
That was all real good advice, and I wish I had gotten on it sooner. In the few days since, I guess because of the low humidity here right now, the top began to really bow as it dried out. The cracks opened up quite a bit and really threw the channels out of alignment. I hammered in a bunch of small ring-shank nails to get them back together and have it all clamped up now. Should I consider putting it in a large tupperdor with some beads as well?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That was all real good advice, and I wish I had gotten on it sooner. In the few days since, I guess because of the low humidity here right now, the top began to really bow as it dried out. The cracks opened up quite a bit and really threw the channels out of alignment. I hammered in a bunch of small ring-shank nails to get them back together and have it all clamped up now. Should I consider putting it in a large tupperdor with some beads as well?
Perhaps what you should consider instead is putting an ultrasonic diffuser in your cigar rolling room.

If you're that dry in there, a thing like this would help you all around.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If left to dry out they can get bad like anything wood. Read up on spoon butter or, cutting board cream. It's oil and wax. I used just mineral oil to treat mine that needed it. others I bought were already done with spoon butter.
I haven't had to redo them. I keep them under pressure.
treatment can get labor intensive. You'll want to work it sparingly in, removing the excess.

Wood will mold if it's left wet without fresh air.