What's new

Cigar Molds Thread

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
that is a box i say.
Yeah it's obviously not a good mold, but it's still a mold even though it is unusable for rolling. It helped me figure out how to design how the to lid comes down on the bottom lid. That is kind of hard to imagine until you have one in your hand to examine, open up, and so forth.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah it's obviously not a good mold, but it's still a mold even though it is unusable for rolling. It helped me figure out how to design how the to lid comes down on the bottom lid. That is kind of hard to imagine until you have one in your hand to examine, open up, and so forth.

I would imagine. I used mine once as a mold.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would imagine. I used mine once as a mold.
Mine is way too oval to try near the head. I see people on eBay trying to sell them for $50. Lol. That was the cost with the cigars.

Looking at other real molds on eBay is pretty interesting. The molds actually look modular per stick. It's probably easier to produce them that way when you mass produce them and put them into a standard sized mold outer box.

The CNC is finishing the smoothing pass on the first piece of my 44. It took 12 hours. It's looking pretty nice except in a few spots when I had a linear bearing failure. Overall, though, for the first time ever trying, it's not bad at all. Now the top piece will be another 12+ hours of carving.

These are way more economical to produce them on a 3d printer.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Mine is way too oval to try near the head. I see people on eBay trying to sell them for $50. Lol. That was the cost with the cigars.

Looking at other real molds on eBay is pretty interesting. The molds actually look modular per stick. It's probably easier to produce them that way when you mass produce them and put them into a standard sized mold outer box.

The CNC is finishing the smoothing pass on the first piece of my 44. It took 12 hours. It's looking pretty nice except in a few spots when I had a linear bearing failure. Overall, though, for the first time ever trying, it's not bad at all. Now the top piece will be another 12+ hours of carving.

These are way more economical to produce them on a 3d printer.

On pro molds the bottoms are one piece and the the tops are modular. The top bits are 15/16 wide for all rings.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The reason the tops are modular is that the template (baring guided) router bit has a 1/2" head that runs along the outside of the 15/16" piece and against the template, and it won't fit into the areas between parts. Whereas the bottom parts are done by just running the blank across a core box router bit on a router table using a bit which is the gauge, eg 5/8" for a "42" ( since molds are named for their size+2 to account for wrapper thickness).

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The reason the tops are modular is that the template (baring guided) router bit has a 1/2" head that runs along the outside of the 15/16" piece and against the template, and it won't fit into the areas between parts. Whereas the bottom parts are done by just running the blank across a core box router bit on a router table using a bit which is the gauge, eg 5/8" for a "42" ( since molds are named for their size+2 to account for wrapper thickness).
All sorts of tidbits of information in that post I never knew before....such as the "size plus 2" accounting for wrapper thickness.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All sorts of tidbits of information in that post I never knew before....such as the "size plus 2" accounting for wrapper thickness.
Yeah I didn't know the plus two thing either. I just made the sizes the advertised ring.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A little hand sanding and it doesn't look too bad! The area closest to the camera had a little failure so the circles look a little funky, but it's not bad for the first run for me and the equipment. Totally usable.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
A little hand sanding and it doesn't look too bad! The area closest to the camera had a little failure so the circles look a little funky, but it's not bad for the first run for me and the equipment. Totally usable.

Very cool!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The top takes 24+ hours of straight cutting. I don't know how time economical this is...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you'll need more horsepower to cut faster. But you already know that. :)
I think I can shave some time off. You can go 50% faster on soft woods vs hard wood, and I'm going to use a double flute end mill vs a single flute, which cuts twice as fast and you can move double the speed.

I was cutting hardwood speeds with a single flute. So in theory, this is the longest it should ever take. The top has been carving closer to 24 hours now. I might get closer to 12.