What's new

Cigar Molds Thread

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm an engineer, if I can help let me know. (Electronics)
Awesome! I'm EE by education, but I've spent my life in computer security. I make electronics (for fun) and code (for fun and work) regularly. I'll let you know if this fails somewhere, but surprisingly it is going well so far.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Awesome! I'm EE by education, but I've spent my life in computer security. I make electronics (for fun) and code (for fun and work) regularly. I'll let you know if this fails somewhere, but surprisingly it is going well so far.

And I have a BA in French Lit. So, you know, if you need, um... n/m.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hear that? That's the sound of success. I just successfully CNC'd some lumber. Now all I have to do is create the tool paths, send it to the CNC, and wait for a wood mold when it is done. That's my agenda tomorrow. I bought some nice 2x10 Douglas fir that has a subtle and pretty red hue to it for the molds. I go back to school in a week so I couldn't have finished this project at a better time.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hear that? That's the sound of success. I just successfully CNC'd some lumber. Now all I have to do is create the tool paths, send it to the CNC, and wait for a wood mold when it is done. That's my agenda tomorrow. I bought some nice 2x10 Douglas fir that has a subtle and pretty red hue to it for the molds. I go back to school in a week so I couldn't have finished this project at a better time.

I guess I'd be a dick if I suggested that something hard like mahogany (about $8 a foot for 1x10) would be your standard mold wood... so I won't.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess I'd be a dick if I suggested that something hard like mahogany (about $8 a foot for 1x10) would be your standard mold wood... so I won't.
You need at least 2" for the thickness, of which the wood types were limited. I could glue together two 1", but that didn't seem practical in my opinion. Tons of options in 1".

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You need at least 2" for the thickness, of which the wood types were limited. I could glue together two 1", but that didn't seem practical in my opinion. Tons of options in 1".

Why do you need that? Pro molds are made out of 1-inch, one piece to the half, and then backed with 3/4" plywood.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why do you need that? Pro molds are made out of 1-inch, one piece to the half, and then backed with 3/4" plywood.
60 ring is almost an inch. 5mm padding is about 1/4". You are already past 1" at that point. 1" wood is actually less than 1". You also need some padding when you square off the faces.