What's new

Cigar Molds Thread

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow that's so cool. I have been looking forward to an update and this lived up to it! Rock and roll man.
The bottom finished as well and it's pretty sweet. It's a keeper. I'll post some pics in a day or two when I have a chance to sand it. I'm starting a 50 ring in the morning. It will hopefully be done by this time tomorrow too.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good job!!

You could possibly use those as the master and make a reusable rubber mold and then pour a high strength plastic epoxy. Pop one out of the mold in an hour.

Just a thought.
Yeah, I looked into that but the supplies are pretty expensive. You'd have to make a lot of the same molds to bring down the price per mold.

If I was asked for 10 or more of the same mold, I may look into it. I'd be surprised if I was asked for 10 molds total though, lol.

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I've spent the last day or so really learning cam. I also scaled down my molds because I rarely roll more than 4 at a time. That allowed me to reorient the grain as well. I just cut this top with the grain. There was zero sanding or post processing in this picture. The CNC was that smooth. After some gentle hand sanding it will be even better. I've got the speed dialed in where I started this at lunch and it just finished by dinner. That is on par with printing.

With or against the grain, the tips of the fins on the mold will naturally sliver to a width that will support it. That's the reason we have lines on our bunches in molds.
Did the CAM lessons help cut your time down or was it just making the mold smaller that did it.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did the CAM lessons help cut your time down or was it just making the mold smaller that did it.
Both. Obviously smaller stock requires less cutting time, but tweaking cam helped a lot too. I also tuned the speeds and acceleration of my motors, used different types of cuts, used a different finishing cut style, etc. It ended up with a very nice output with some, but not much, post processing time at a reasonable speed.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's the RG and length on that salomon? Everyone's gonna want dibs on that bad boy. Me too.
Largest part is 58 ring, to allow 2 ring for the application of the wrapper. I cut them 2 rings less for the wrapper size, as Bliss suggested at one point. But I can literally make any size or shape.

For end to end on the Salomon it is 6.85". Again I can make pretty much anything smaller than that too.

Just message me and we can work out the details if any of you want one. I will cut them first come first serve. So if 3 people beat you to my CNC, you'll likely have to wait 3 days before I can start yours. I've already cut the two shapes I needed, so I'm good for a little while. The machine is sitting idle for the first time in weeks.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of the molds I have are CNC'd from blocks of high density polyethylene plastic. It would seem that it would be more agreeable to machining. Wood has a tendency to get a little 'fuzzy' at times depending on the grain.